PDA

View Full Version : We need a running back???

REALRICK
12-08-2003, 06:57 PM
I've been reading posts and articles mentions the last couple of weeks about the Skins offseasons needs and running back is always mentioned. I think this is funny. WWhat criteria do people use for this?

Last year Stephen Davis did NOT gain 1000 yards....so I guess we needed to get rid of him because he wasn't a 1000 yard back.

This year we don't have a 1000 yard back so I guess we need to go looking again. And by the way....exactly where will we find this running back who is better than Trung Candidate or Betts or Rock Cartwright. Which team is willing to give up their 1000 yard back to the Redskins for pennies on the dollar. And by the way....once we get him, then Spurrier will filter him into the mix with everybody else and he'll gain 460 yards and then the NEXT year we will be looking for another 1000 yard back.

No my friends, the Skins don't need a running back, not when they already have several of them. What they need is a coach who can be decisive and pick 1 running back and go with him.

Last year Spurrier played musical QB's all year and it hurt the Skins. Now for the 2nd year we are playing musical running backs. When the music stops will all but one sit down....at least for THIS series of downs.

Spurrier needs to realize that Betts and Candidate are good backs and that freak accidents(forearm) and lack of playing time don't necessarily reflect on the nature of our running back position. We have much greater needs, INCLUDING, guys who can block better. Better blockers ALWAYS make the runners better....not to mention the passer.

Why in the world nobody talks about drafting or finding a right tackle/left tackle who can block is beyond me. Samuels and Jansen can sit on the bench and make this a better team right away.

BigCountry
12-08-2003, 07:08 PM
If we loose Champ we have an extra draft pick, with which we can take Kevin Jones from Virginia Tech or Steven Jackson of Oregon State. Although unprooven, both should end up 10 times better then what we have. That's how we can get a 1000 yard running back.

Yudolindo
12-08-2003, 07:14 PM
I think you are operating under the assumption that we indeed have a back on our roster capable of going the entire season as our feature back. You also assume that we have a back on our roster that can do everything a feature back can and should do. These assumptions are incorrect: we don’t have anyone with the skills and/or the durability to take the load off of Ramsey and add that much needed backfield threat. What have Betts and Candidate done to deserve any acclaimed? Moreover, have we not learned how durable they are? Time to draft again.

ShaggySkins
12-08-2003, 07:16 PM
There is no such thing as musical running backs, its called a RB by committee. The fact is NONE of our RBs have shown an ability to consistently get the job done. Each RB has major flaws. Trung is unable to break tackles, regardless of who the blockers are the RB always has to be able to atleast get away from atleast one tackler and Trung has not been able to do that this season on a consistent basis. Morton is simply too small to be able to handle a full load for a 16 game season. Betts has been too injury prone to be able to be a reliable #1 back. And Rock although probably the best choice has had some costly fumbles and lacks the speed that the team needs. None of our backs are considered starting quality by any means. The fact that it took until last week aganist the Saints to get our first 100 yard rusher should tell you that.
Jansen and Samuels both have the talent to be good blockers and have proven that in the past. They have struggled this year mostly because of the scheme and the fact that teams do not respect our run and are sending extra men every down.
The protection will become much better if the team can find a solid running game to take pressure off of Ramsey and make it so we can control the clock. If the running game can control the clock it helps all other aspects of the team. It causes the opposing D to put extra men in the box leading to single coverage on Coles and Gardner. This also allows our defense to get rest. More rest means fresher linemen and a better pass rush.
Stephen Davis did not get a 1,000 yards that season because he missed the last few games of the season. Before that he was on pace for another 1,000 yard season. None of our backs are going to get even within sniffing distance of a 1,000 yards.

BigCountry
12-08-2003, 07:21 PM
Trung needs around 131 yards a game over the next 3 to get there soooooo.............you're right!

REALRICK
12-08-2003, 07:24 PM
Its curious you talk about durability because Stephen Davis has NEVER finished a season playing all 16 games. His ankle injuries are legendary.

Now, with a 2 week ankle injury Trung is injury prone and weak. Now with a freak accident to his forearm, Betts is injury prone.

Isn't that a double standard?

And speaking of drafting running backs, don't hold your breath. You can count on 1...thats one...hand the number of number 1 draft picks who start every game for a team and make an impact. On 1 hand! If you're counting on a ROOKIE running back to save the Redskins next year....the bookmakers in Vegas will be glad to take that bet any day.

It took Stephen Davis 3 years to develop into an NFL running back.

RichardBradley
12-08-2003, 07:25 PM
Stop the madness we need alot of things

Monk81
12-08-2003, 07:26 PM
as Merill would say we need a factor back our RB's are back ups at best hell they (betts and trung) are hurt again we need a durable back who can do eveything

BigCountry
12-08-2003, 07:27 PM
I really don't think we have that kind of time. When we drafted Stephen Davis it was more a rebuilding period. We don't have time to underachive right now at such an important position when we actually have some important pieces in place. It's just too bad the pieces that are in place are also underachieving.

hail2skins
12-08-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by ShaggySkins
There is no such thing as musical running backs, its called a RB by committee. The fact is NONE of our RBs have shown an ability to consistently get the job done. Each RB has major flaws. Trung is unable to break tackles, regardless of who the blockers are the RB always has to be able to atleast get away from atleast one tackler and Trung has not been able to do that this season on a consistent basis. Morton is simply too small to be able to handle a full load for a 16 game season. Betts has been too injury prone to be able to be a reliable #1 back. And Rock although probably the best choice has had some costly fumbles and lacks the speed that the team needs. None of our backs are considered starting quality by any means. The fact that it took until last week aganist the Saints to get our first 100 yard rusher should tell you that.
Jansen and Samuels both have the talent to be good blockers and have proven that in the past. They have struggled this year mostly because of the scheme and the fact that teams do not respect our run and are sending extra men every down.
The protection will become much better if the team can find a solid running game to take pressure off of Ramsey and make it so we can control the clock. If the running game can control the clock it helps all other aspects of the team. It causes the opposing D to put extra men in the box leading to single coverage on Coles and Gardner. This also allows our defense to get rest. More rest means fresher linemen and a better pass rush.
Stephen Davis did not get a 1,000 yards that season because he missed the last few games of the season. Before that he was on pace for another 1,000 yard season. None of our backs are going to get even within sniffing distance of a 1,000 yards.

Very well stated Shaggy. As for the running back by committee, look at the Eagles, their doing it and they're successful with it too.

Yudolindo
12-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by REALRICK

Isn't that a double standard?

No, its not: notice Davis is not a Redskin? More importantly, Davis ran the ball between the tackles 30 or so times a game, so you would expect him to get hurt now and then. He also put up good numbers and was a horse you could ride to victory. Trung cannot hold up over the course of a few games (with few up the gut runs and only 15 - 20 carries), and Betts, well, no need to state the obvious here. Most importantly, their numbers suck. If they were monsters like Davis, I doubt anyone would bitch, but they are not even close.

BigCountry
12-08-2003, 07:37 PM
Plus, Davis made the most of the VERY FIRST shot he had as a starter, he gained 1400 yards and scored 17 TD's as his first year as our feature back. I'd be willing to bet that niether Canidate or Betts have that kind of year if they're given the chance next year.

JoeDaSchmoe
12-08-2003, 07:53 PM
Double standard? How many times has Betts been injured this year?

Odyn
12-08-2003, 08:25 PM
The difference is that Davis has the vision of a true running back. He can find the holes. Now when we put someone like Trung into the game. He gets stopped and falls into the pile. We all think its the offensive line's fault. It's really not. It's all about being able to predict when the holes will open and close.

Yudolindo
12-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Odyn
The difference is that Davis has the vision of a true running back. He can find the holes.

I think it went beyond that: their are quite a few big, slow running backs in the NFL who are just big and slow. Davis is very strong, but his real gift is his ability to see the holes and his blockers. I think that is what makes him so good. Trung and Ladell may have more phsical tools than Davis, but have, as you said, no ability to see the holes. We all can see how important it is by just how badly our running game is.

BigCountry
12-08-2003, 08:48 PM
Stephen Davis is alot faster then people think.

Yudolindo
12-08-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by BigCountry
Stephen Davis is alot faster then people think.

True, but I don't think he is all that explosive.

JoeDaSchmoe
12-08-2003, 10:12 PM
He's not incredibly explosive, but he can build up a lot of speed.

LavarLeap2003
12-09-2003, 12:09 AM
stephen could probably run a 4.4 or on a great day while smoking crack, a 4.3.

Brokenstriker
12-09-2003, 08:39 AM
better running back ... small change

better run blocking ... HUGE change

Trung behind the neo-Hogs ... AWE-freaking-some

Davis behind the current Skins line ... 800 yards maybe and nothing longer than 15 yards

(oh ... and it is a double standard about the injuries ... all the things you guys have said why it isn't are decent points but different arguments ... )

TexSkin
12-09-2003, 08:54 AM
I still think Duece Staley would make a good RB here for a few years. Not a permant solution but a nice filler till we draft one.

Skinzaholic
12-09-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by TexSkin
I still think Duece Staley would make a good RB here for a few years. Not a permant solution but a nice filler till we draft one.

BUT... can we stomach an Eagle wearing Burgundy and Gold?

ShaggySkins
12-09-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Skinzaholic

Snyder loves signing those former NFC East players. And you know Duce is going to want to get a shot at the Eagles after he wanted to end his career there only to be turned down. I never actually considered him but he'd work well here. He can catch the ball, is a decent runner and would work well in a commitee with Trung & Betts.

SkinsKY
12-09-2003, 09:36 AM
I'm not really sold on Duce because of the hold out. I don't think Trung is anything more than a change of pace back. Martz fell in love with the kid and he ended up in the dog house. Why do you think a first round pick was traded to us for a fourth? He couldn't get the job done. He is a player who will always make people say, "If he just puts it together..." But he won't because he's put together everything he has and you can't run well if you can't break tackles. Any good running back should be able to shed tackles. A better offensive line would make a difference, but with a good offensive line, anyone can be a star runner (see Orlandis Gary and Mike Anderson in Denver). I won't believe that Trung can be a good feature back until I see it, but I'm not that patient, so I want somebody else.

Brokenstriker
12-10-2003, 02:51 PM

Sonny Jurgensen ... Eagle starting QB, Eagle Back-Up QB, Eagle starting QB ... Redskins Starting QB ...

its not that bad to see the light and convert to Burgundy and Gold

PennSkinsFan
12-10-2003, 03:20 PM

Rush for over 1000 yards, stave off the blitz because of the threat of a good RB, and catch well out of the backfield, and absolutely, all is forgiven! :D

NamVet4
12-10-2003, 03:22 PM
Does Deuce Staley really want to go from the NFC East leading Eagles running back by committee to the NFC Least running back by committee?
Honestly, besides an insane amount of $’s – what is his incentive?
At his age, his experience level, does he really want to join with Canidate, Betts, Morton, etc…..???

And what would be the insane $'s

I just can't see it happening on his end and I can't see the Redskins putting up the dollar's.

just my 2 cents
:rolleyes:

RichardBradley
12-10-2003, 03:24 PM
No thanks on Duce......