PDA

View Full Version : ESPN (Insider) Rumors

HollywoodKolt
12-16-2003, 06:21 PM
Redskins DT Darrell Russell has indicated he would like to return to the team next year and that he'll give his team first crack to re-sign him. The feeling, however, might not be mutual, the way we hear it.

Redskins CB Fred Smoot told PFW that the team's recent vote of confidence for head coach Steve Spurrier was a big relief to players and that the greater sense of security and cohesion could be the difference between free-agent-to-be CB Champ Bailey returning or going elsewhere. Smoot also told PFW that he and his defensive teammates took it personally when there were reports that defensive coordinator George Edwards might be in trouble. Smoot thinks Edwards has done all he can without the benefit of a good pass rush up front.

A lot of people have tried to read into Champs comments but I think that Smoot's statement says a lot about the situation. Smoot would know him best.

The Russell thing suprises me. Although his playing time has not been at all what the coaches said it would though so maybe they see or in this case don't see something in him.

thoughts?

BTW these may be on profootballweekly.com I don't know if you have to pay for them there or not. ESPN's source is Pro football weekly

RichardBradley
12-16-2003, 06:33 PM
If Russell can't beat out Bernard Holsey then he must not be anywhere close to being the player he used to be.

Spence
12-16-2003, 07:04 PM
Russel is fat and out of shape.

Redskinmayhem
12-16-2003, 07:31 PM
maybe they're just not willing to take a chance on him. I wonder how much he would improve with the benefit of a full off-season and all the minicamps as well as a full summer camp and pre-season.

hail2skins
12-16-2003, 08:05 PM
I hear otherwise in reference to Russell. Lavar said On JT's show that the coaches are moving very slow with him because he's out of shape.

Spence
12-16-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by hail2skins
I hear otherwise in reference to Russell. Lavar said On JT's show that the coaches are moving very slow with him because he's out of shape. What should we expect from a guy whose diet consisted mostly of amphetamines and cheeseburgers for the last two years?

RedskinsDave
12-16-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Spence
What should we expect from a guy whose diet consisted mostly of amphetamines and cheeseburgers for the last two years?

I tried that diet. You've heard of the South Beach Diet? That one's called the South Central.

JoeDaSchmoe
12-16-2003, 09:32 PM
I say resign him, he's the best shot we have right now of some decent pressure up the middle next year.

skins74
12-16-2003, 11:39 PM
We need to see something before we resign him. He will want alot of money, they all do.

Ford
12-17-2003, 02:13 AM
I think we should resign him .. get him in shape, and see what he can do. This conversation reminds me of those we had after Dalton wasn't getting much PT but in time he came along and has been playing pretty well recently.

Patrick
12-17-2003, 06:30 AM
I'm not one who likes to see a team commit to the "bad boy" type player BUT something about Russell that strikes me different about this kid. I listen to him talk and the right off the bat I can tell he's well schooled. (Reminds me of Mark May). .... I don't know - he screwed up pretty bad but does that mean he can't change his life back around. With all the stupid gambles our team has made in the pass five years, taking a chance on Russell would rank relatively low. I say we offer him a three year insentive based contract, get him in the off season conditioning program, and go from there.