PDA

View Full Version : Herzog officially cut loose

rskinsfan10
02-26-2004, 09:43 PM
Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10473-2004Feb26.html)

Not sure that I understand this.

LadyNRedskinsfan
02-26-2004, 09:45 PM
i really dont like this at all. this is harder for me than watching bailey go. at least frank still wanted to be here.....dont like this one bit.

Yudolindo
02-26-2004, 09:46 PM
Perhaps they are trying to get younger? Frankly, I will miss him, and I think it is a stupid move.

rskinsfan10
02-26-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Yudolindo
Perhaps they are trying to get younger?

Those other two geezers are still there. :D

akhhorus
02-26-2004, 09:50 PM
You have to think that WJFK didnt do this without the Skins consent. I like Herzog, but sooner or later things must change. I cant get upset about it at all.

Shenadoah
02-26-2004, 09:52 PM
Don't understand, Don't Like, would like to know what they thought was broke and why did they feel the need to fix it. God know's it wasn't a marketing problem, they ran commercials for everything under the sun during the broadcast, I know a couple of times we missed hearing plays during the games because of the commercials.

RichardBradley
02-26-2004, 09:54 PM
I haven't heard a radio brodcast when I wasn't drunk so all his messed up words and calling people the wrong name never bothered me.

BlacksburgHog
02-26-2004, 10:11 PM
This really sucks. Herzog in my eyes was a legend in his own right. Never again will I get to hear those famous words from his mouth that we all can say, but Frank did it so eloquently-----"TOUCHDOWN, WASHINGTON REDSKINS!!!" You know how he said it. This is a horrible move. I actually feel like we have just lost one of our best players. This really sucks, have I said that yet.

JoeDaSchmoe
02-26-2004, 10:20 PM
Damnit, damnit, damnit, damnit, damnit. The Sonny, Sam, and Frank broadcast is legendary. Who are they gonna get to replace him?

SkinsKY
02-26-2004, 10:23 PM
I grew up listening to Sonny, Sam, and Frank and this is a sad day for me. Even if he stayed on the show, it's not like people are going to stop listening and tune in to the other radio broadcast. The least they could have done was let him know ahead of time and "retire." That way he can leave and we can celebrate all he means to this team and its fans. I think it's kind of classless by WJFK. The man called almost 500 straight games. Let him leave with a royal fanfare and not a public pink slip.

Shenadoah
02-26-2004, 10:27 PM
If Frank doesn't want to leave just yet, I wonder if a public outcry like a letter writing/e-mail campaign might change somebody's mind. Anybody got an address or name we might fire a letter off too?

Ford
02-26-2004, 10:34 PM
Larry Michael's pretty annoying .. Frank was the man ... just doesn't make sense.

BlacksburgHog
02-26-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Shenadoah
Anybody got an address or name we might fire a letter off too?

I've looked on the WJFK website but I can't seem to find anything. Anyone else having better luck? This really pisses me off. Herzog is a Redskins institution. He should be in the Skins Hall of Fame. I wonder if Gibbs could change this outcome,---sigh....probably not....what a bad way to end the day.

LadyNRedskinsfan
02-26-2004, 11:01 PM
maybe they'll put frank in the ring of fame at fedex field.

hailskins
02-26-2004, 11:23 PM
I'm sorry to see Frank leave the booth. He was a nice guy and very humble. The Washinton Post says part of why he was fired was because of money.

I don't buy that. Frank is not like that. If it was about money, I think Frank is not above taking a pay cut. I know Frank. I remember he used to cut the grass at my high school with his own tractor for our football team. I would regularly see him at church, and we sold Christmas trees together. Anyone who volunteers his services like that is not going to let money get in the way of a job he loves. Heck, I'd do his job for free.

:confused:

Agcsu56
02-26-2004, 11:38 PM
its a sad sad day..........I will always remember sonny, sam, and frank...they were doing this way before I was born......wonder what they're thinking by doing this?????

SonnyandSam
02-26-2004, 11:53 PM
I don't care who the new guy is but I will always refer to the broadcast as Sonny, Sam and Frank....just like I still call the Rams the Los Angelas Rams.....They don't belong in St. Louis......

I watched Frank as a sportscaster on Channel 9 while growing up in the DC area. I can hear his distinctive voice as I write this.

And if by any chance, Frank, you even visit this message board.....

Frank, you did a hell of a job for the Redskins and their Fans. You always kept us informed of what was going on and allowed us to visualize the game even though we had nothing to see....the perfect blend of hometown enthusiasm with straight and honest information. You were a great play by play guy. And you were the perfect setup guy for Sonny and Sam. It won't be the same without you. Take care and good luck!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

hailskins
02-26-2004, 11:53 PM
I question how much the author of the washington post article knows about this situation.

He refers to the trio as Frank, Sonny and Sam. Anyone remotely familiar with the broadcast knows its Sonny, Sam and Frank.

SonnyandSam
02-27-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by hailskins
I question how much the author of the washington post article knows about this situation.

He refers to the trio as Frank, Sonny and Sam. Anyone remotely familiar with the broadcast knows its Sonny, Sam and Frank.

Ah, give him a break....he probably hasn't been around as long as us old farts! :niceday:

funnyperson1
02-27-2004, 12:34 AM
Man that sucks. I haven't even been around that long and I miss Frank Herzog. Anytime I couldn't watch the game I listened to WJFK's broadcast.

I feel bad it ended this way too, Herzog deserved to retire on his terms.

And whats up to BlacksburgHog, what year are you? Shoot me a pm, or hit up aim funnyperson1.

davepharmd
02-27-2004, 01:00 AM
Sad day

Skinsdynasty
02-27-2004, 01:10 AM
sux

Emmanouel8
02-27-2004, 01:17 AM
Boooo, this really sucks! There's a huge disturbance in the force.

IowaSkinsFan
02-27-2004, 01:32 AM
This wasn't even a Dan Snyder decision, was it?

Redskinfan28
02-27-2004, 06:28 AM
:banghead:

We can't even blame Snyder for this!!

Shenadoah
02-27-2004, 06:33 AM
Somebody tell the Danny to buy a radio station and hire Herzog, Riggins and Monk to do play by play.

flave1969
02-27-2004, 06:38 AM
Used to the Armed Forces Network over here in Britain. It was Frank's voice that let me know the Redskins were on the radio. If he can still do the Job, then why change it. Dont know Larry Michaels but I do know he has a big seat to fill. Best of Luck Frank.

kdskin
02-27-2004, 08:06 AM
I have a vaild email for one of the more know persons at WJFK and have already sent an email. Maybe they will forward it to the people that matter or perhaps not.

The problem here is the damage has been done. Mr. Herzog has been publicly canned instead of allowed to retire as he deserves. I wouldn't blame him in the least if he did not come back in the event that an email/letter campaign was successful.

I am almost as disappointed with Sonny and Sam as I am with WJFK. They know how much the fans love the Sonny, Sam, and Frank team. They should have stepped down in protest before this became public. Had they done that, Frank would still be calling play by play next year.

Spence
02-27-2004, 08:31 AM
Okay, a few truths about Frank Herzog. He's not the brightest bulb in the bunch. He frequently screwed up names, the down, the yardage, who made the tackle, field position, you name it. On the other hand, he was a lovable dope and the owner of one of the greatest radio voices of all time. He clearly loved the Redskins, loved working with Sam and Sonny, loved his job, and considered it the pinnacle of his career.

I don't like this move and I will miss Frank Herzog dearly.

28thegreat
02-27-2004, 08:31 AM
For most of my adult life I have lived away from DC. Except for the few times a year when I can get the WJFK broadcast via internet, I have to listen to the marbleheads they usually sit in front of the mic when and if the Skins are carried on TV here (unfortunately, someone has declared Southwest Virginia Tennessee Titans country). Can you believe that the two games I got to watch last year, TROY AIKMAN was on the broadcast team!!! Frank Herzog was, is, and always will be the voice of our beloved Burgundy and Gold. Anybody else turn off the TV sound and turn on the radio in those halcyon days when Frank, Sonny, and Sam were only on the radio? I don't use these words too often...but this REALLY sucks!!!!

RedskinsDave
02-27-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by LadyNRedskinsfan
maybe they'll put frank in the ring of fame at fedex field.

They really should. Phil Hockberg, the former stadium announcer, is up there. This makes no sense at all. If it ain't broke don't break it.

Spence
02-27-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by RichardBradley
I haven't heard a radio brodcast when I wasn't drunk so all his messed up words and calling people the wrong name never bothered me. Dude, you are livin' la vida loca!

Skins57
02-27-2004, 09:17 AM
I would think it would be the right thing to do but lets see

Capital
02-27-2004, 10:07 AM
This honestly makes me sick to my stomach.

Frank is a Redskin institution - this is a sorry way to treat him.

MrWiggles
02-27-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Shenadoah
If Frank doesn't want to leave just yet, I wonder if a public outcry like a letter writing/e-mail campaign might change somebody's mind. Anybody got an address or name we might fire a letter off too?

WJFK Contact Info

WJFK
10800 Main Street
Fairfax, VA 22030

Cameron Gray, WJFK Operations Director email - clgray@wjfkfm.com

The main office number is (703) 691-1900

To send a fax to the main office it is (703) 352-0111

AGibbsGirl
02-27-2004, 10:19 AM
Doggoneit!!! Why couldn't he have this last year since Gibbs is back? I've listened to him since I was a kid! Yeah, he's been around that long :p

"They gave me two reasons," Herzog said. "They said they wanted to save money. And more important they thought it was important for the continuity of their sports department that the guy who reports on the Redskins all during the week do the games on Sunday. "

We still can watch him on WUSA 9 though, right?http://www.wusatv9.com/images/nt_fh.jpg

rhummer37
02-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by hailskins
Heck, I'd do his job for free.

A media pass to every home game...I'd do it too. :)

whistleandthumb
02-27-2004, 12:37 PM
This is so stupid. I don't care if Frank wasn't the world's greatest play-by-play man. Frank's signature "Touchdown, Washington Redskins" is as important in Redskins history as anything else. Frank deserves a lot better than this.

I think Fox should hire Frank to call the games with Dick Stockton, so they can get rid of that dope Darryl Johnston. I'm sick of every Sunday's game getting this biased "Redskins suck" call from an ex-Cowboy. Get Frank on there, and let him actually call the game.

I'm totally in shock on this one...

sknsfan341234
02-27-2004, 12:43 PM
Can you believe this? The voice of that brought us, "TOUCHDOWN!!, WASHINGTON REDSKINS!!", is gone. I'm never listening to the radio anymore. I guess i have to listen to the two idiots on the t.v., which include cowboys like troy aikmen and darryl johnston. We'll miss you Frank. No offense sonny and sam, but i just can' t listen anymore without Frank being there.

RedskinsDave
02-27-2004, 12:43 PM
merge, already one on this.

hail2skins
02-27-2004, 12:44 PM
Please check the board first folks.

lightskin
02-27-2004, 12:51 PM
So does anyone know this guy replacing Frank - does he do regular radio broadcast on the Redskins during the week?

RedskinsDave
02-27-2004, 01:08 PM
Larry Michael, he does the pre and post game stuff on 106.7. He's okay, that's not really my issue though. I just don't see the point in making the change when Frank IS the voice of the Redskins. Yeah, he's not Jack Buck or anything but when I hear him, I think Redskins.

Spence
02-27-2004, 01:23 PM
My thoughts exactly, Dave. I've got nothing against Larry Michaels and I'll still listen to the show so I can hear what Sonny has to say. Nevertheless, it won't be the same. It'll be a while, if ever, before I can enjoy the show as much as I once did. Herzog was the voice of the Redskins, in more ways than one. And despite all the terrible Redskins teams he has announced for since Joe Gibbs left, I still associate Herzog's voice, first and foremost, with the happy championship days of my childhood.

Boohoo.

dj_stouty
02-27-2004, 01:26 PM
I'm not a big fan of Larry Michaels. His voice annoys me.

This is truly a shame...

kdskin
02-27-2004, 02:07 PM
I think the outrage over this stupid decision by WJFK is pretty widespread. I too will not listen to the games on the radio anymore.

In the email to WJFK, I simply wrote that in a time when all skins fans are so excited in a possible return to the glory years with the return of Coach Gibbs, we want the institution of our beloved announcer Frank Herzog to bring all the glory to our ears once again.

I've seen several of you mention Frank's "TOUCHDOWN, WASHINGTON REDSKINS!!!!!" . Even during the bad years, hearing him say that simply was the best thing and that my fellow skins friends, is what a great radio announcer does.

Shame on you WJFK for not only sticking it to Frank, but to ALL of the Redskins fans that use to listen to your station!

This is a sad,sad day.

dallasucks
02-27-2004, 03:06 PM
I don't know why everyone is so teary eyed over this guy. Me and my friend always refer to the play-by-play as sonny and sam. Frank is never mentioned. As long as those two old farts are there I'm fine. I never really liked herzog, he was kinda lame. I always hear the other teams play by play guys and they are going nuts when their team scores. Herzog just sounds honky dorry about it. he never freaks out and goes crazy calling the games. I want more action! more energy from someone callin gthe plays. Maybe he was passionate but he really didn't ooze that onto the radio. I might be the only who's glad he's off. I like Larry michaels he's always very admant about what the skins do right or wrong. And he's a local which means he probably really cares about the skins. He grew up with them. I don't know where herzog is from but I don't think he's home grown. I could be wrong. I welcome the new guy. he has to be more exciting than frakn was. he's just gotta.

Emmanouel8
02-28-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by dallasucks
I don't know why everyone is so teary eyed over this guy. Me and my friend always refer to the play-by-play as sonny and sam. Frank is never mentioned. As long as those two old farts are there I'm fine. I never really liked herzog, he was kinda lame. I always hear the other teams play by play guys and they are going nuts when their team scores. Herzog just sounds honky dorry about it. he never freaks out and goes crazy calling the games. I want more action! more energy from someone callin gthe plays. Maybe he was passionate but he really didn't ooze that onto the radio. I might be the only who's glad he's off. I like Larry michaels he's always very admant about what the skins do right or wrong. And he's a local which means he probably really cares about the skins. He grew up with them. I don't know where herzog is from but I don't think he's home grown. I could be wrong. I welcome the new guy. he has to be more exciting than frakn was. he's just gotta.

Wow dlssux your post was right on....not.

hail2skins
02-28-2004, 06:13 AM
Frank is getting support from the fans.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A13491-2004Feb27.html

rskinsfan10
02-28-2004, 08:37 AM
Another thing about Frank, from a personal aspect.

Frank was the first local sportscaster that did a story on the news about the Funky4. I credit him for helping us gain some popularity with the fans before we became the super mega stars that we are today (just kidding). Seriously though, he was the first to put us on the air and I appreciate him dearly for doing that.

Emmanouel8
02-28-2004, 11:38 AM
lol rsf10,

I love Frank and the gang and WJFK has ruined my life.

RedskinsDave
02-28-2004, 12:22 PM
E-mail WJFK

clgray@wjfkfm.com (operations director)

TwistyNiblet
02-28-2004, 12:31 PM
A "touchdown, Washington Redskins" just won't be the same without him.

suppitty
02-28-2004, 01:14 PM
I cant stand Larry Michael. I heard him on a postghame show last year, and he came up with the fakest rampage ever. Everything he says sounds so forced. I guess i'll have to listen to brian balldinger instead (hopefully we will be good enough to get the fOX A-TEAM.

Mipmap
02-28-2004, 07:40 PM
An old web page from WJFK says:

"Like other great teams, the mere mention of Sonny, Sam and Frank in Washington can only mean one thing -- the "best" play-by-play broadcast team in the National Football League. The chemistry that exists between these gentlemen is unbelievable. Sonny Jurgensen - the Hall of Fame Quarterback, Sam Huff - the Hall of Fame Linebacker and Frank Herzog - the professional mediator and "voice" of the Redskins blend their talents for a one-of-a-kind broadcast."

Here is the Google cache of this page:

http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:w6koz_WPqI8J:www.1067wjfk.com/redskins.html+redskins+herzog+wjfk&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

I'm sending this to WJFK, and telling them not only have they lost a listener, but I will avoid buying from their advertisers.

hail2skins
02-28-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by rskinsfan10
Another thing about Frank, from a personal aspect.

Frank was the first local sportscaster that did a story on the news about the Funky4. I credit him for helping us gain some popularity with the fans before we became the super mega stars that we are today (just kidding). Seriously though, he was the first to put us on the air and I appreciate him dearly for doing that.

I hope I still have that on tape. I gotta check.

CarMike
02-28-2004, 08:05 PM
Welcome to hR Mipmap. Good luck in your venture....

Cvilleskinsfan
02-28-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by dallasucks

You are so very wrong.:banghead:

rskinsfan10
02-28-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by hail2skins
I hope I still have that on tape. I gotta check.

I was looking at it the other day as a matter of fact.

AGibbsGirl
02-29-2004, 01:12 PM
"Frank knew how to deal with Sonny and me, and that's not easy. The great thing is, Frank let us be ourselves. He'd let me talk defense, Sonny talk offense and it takes some doing because we're both kind of high-powered. Most broadcasters I've worked with over the years want to dominate the air. Frank was not like that. He knew how to do it."

Exactly what I said awhile ago when we thought this was gonna happen (the other thread about Herzog...) sorry dallassucks...but this is why Frank was the lesser emotional one on the team, he had to be because of these two egos (not that I don't love Sonny and Sam...)