PDA

View Full Version : Anyone catch Gibbs comment on Bailey last night....

PennSkinsFan
03-04-2004, 08:47 AM
For you folks that were holding out hope to the last minute that we would keep Bailey, just to let ya know, there WAS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to keep Bailey. Gibbs stated on Channel seven news last night at 545PM, that Bailey's agent told the Redskins if he was not dealt, he would not be in camp.

Screw Champ!

skins74
03-04-2004, 08:48 AM
See Ya!

Skinzaholic
03-04-2004, 08:50 AM
That is very surprising... I actually saw Champ as one of the few guys with character. I wonde what happened to cause all of this to turn into war like it did? Could it be that Champ and Snyder had words we dont know about?

skins74
03-04-2004, 08:50 AM
Do we play Denver? I want to see Portis catch a pass on Champ and outrun him to the goaline. Then I want to see Portis run over Champ. Prediction Champ gets scored on many o times.

Spence
03-04-2004, 08:51 AM
Well, it is sort of in Gibbs' interest to say something like that. In any case, I suspect Bailey would have been in camp had his price been met. The Redskins were unwilling to do that. After checking out the cap space Bailey will occupy during the first three years of his contract, I have to say that I understand Washington's reluctance to sign that deal.

Skins57
03-04-2004, 08:51 AM
I never expeccted this from Champ until last offseason. I thought he would want to be here but I can see his point with all the losing and turnover,I can understand but we made out just fine with Portis, so enjoy that thin air and cold in your new home Champ or it is now Roland as Champ no longer fits :D

SkinsKY
03-04-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Spence
Well, it is sort of in Gibbs' interest to say something like that. In any case, I suspect Bailey would have been in camp had his price been met. The Redskins were unwilling to do that. After checking out the cap space Bailey will occupy during the first three years of his contract, I have to say that I understand Washington's reluctance to sign that deal.

Yep. I certainly held out hope, but that is a lot of money early in the contract. It seems that chances are Champ won't be with the Broncos in a couple years if he keeps that up. We wanted him here for a long time and structured the contract in that manner, but I guess he didn't. I do wonder what caused the rift though. We all have our speculations.

TexSkin
03-04-2004, 09:01 AM
Hey I trust Gibbs over Champ any day Spence. Do I blame Champ for wanting out? No...he was probably tired of all the turnover and wanted to go somewhere stable. Good luck but you should have looked at who your new coach was gonna be. He wont be another Shotty or Spurrier..this man is for real and here to stay.

PennSkinsFan
03-04-2004, 09:10 AM

* shaking my head * forever loyal for some reason. Sorry Tom, but I don't buy the Champ sainthood. He didnt wanna be here, wasn't going to play here, period. Makes the Portis deal that much more attractive on my part.

skinsfanincali
03-04-2004, 09:12 AM
Well, I hope Roland will be happy in Denver.
I will be happy cheering for the Washington Redskins.

RedskinsDave
03-04-2004, 09:25 AM
I'm with you Mark. There was no way for the Redskins to meet Champ's demands because he wasn't going to play here.

SkinsKY
03-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by PennSkinsFan
* shaking my head * forever loyal for some reason. Sorry Tom, but I don't buy the Champ sainthood. He didnt wanna be here, wasn't going to play here, period. Makes the Portis deal that much more attractive on my part.

Champ doesn't qualify for sainthood, but any player in the NFL can be bought for enough money. All things being equal, I think he would leave, but I think there is a price that would have kept him here. The FO decided it would not be worth it.

Patrick
03-04-2004, 09:33 AM
I can understand where Spence is coming from. There is some ingrained bitterness that is not being brought forth by both sides.
I hope the best for Champ but have the feeling he's being hung out to dry in Denver and won't be as effective as he was here in Washington - IMOA

IowaSkinsFan
03-04-2004, 09:43 AM

Finally! I knew you would come around.

Actually, I don't think the team would have minded Champ taking up that kind of cap space if he actually made plays and came through in the clutch....................................

{Gets in one last parting shot against the overhyped Champ}

Brokenstriker
03-04-2004, 10:21 AM
Champ ... *sigh ... its sad ... didn't like playing for a losing team ...

I find it very interesting when "star" players bitch and moan because they don't get to play on a winning team ...

I know and value the whole "its a team sport perspective" ... but if you're going to talk the talk ... and cash the check ... as a superstar ... you're supposed to be the reason the team is winning ...

so ... seriously Champ ... if paying you 10% of the cap doesn't lead to a winning team ... or to be fairer ... a shutdown defense ... ummm why the hell should you be paid so much money?

Spence
03-04-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by PennSkinsFan
* shaking my head * forever loyal for some reason. Sorry Tom, but I don't buy the Champ sainthood. He didnt wanna be here, wasn't going to play here, period. Makes the Portis deal that much more attractive on my part. It's not a matter of loyalty or sainthood, Mark. Gibbs has a vested interest in saying things like that. That's pretty obvious, I think. What I've seen and read leads me to believe Champ preferred to play elsewhere, but, like just about every other player in the league, his final destination would have been the team that signed the biggest check.

Sorry, I think the notion that Bailey hates the Redskins more than he loves money is silly.

Va.SkinFan
03-04-2004, 10:40 AM
Champ better get use to that thin air or he will be wrapping that tongue of his around his knee pad so it wont drag the ground.

easymobee
03-04-2004, 10:51 AM
Thin Air? ... Blizzards? ... Colorado is actually very nice.

Here is the nicest part of it.

Denver puts the pieces in place every year to make a Super Bowl run. Sometimes the players don't work out or as everyone has to deal with on some level, there may be injuries.

But the fact is Denver is one of the biggest class organizations in the NFL. Champ is getting paid like a franchise player and has probably seen more sub-.500 seasons his last few years then he will se the rest of the way.

That said ... it was a nice trade all around and you guys have done the right thing bringing back Gibbs in lieu of Pitino. Good Luck with CP and i'll hope for both sides that we never read the words ACL and either guy in the same sentence.

Greenmile
03-04-2004, 11:15 AM
Bye Champ, talented CB, but really we all seen him get burned enough to know Springs or any self respecting pro corner can hold his own in the league with a descent pass rush!!(ie panthers, manning not good trust me). The difference between Champ and Springs right now is now is durbabilty!! Springs stay on the field U wont even notice baileys gone.

dj_stouty
03-04-2004, 11:24 AM
I'm still not sure why the Broncos paid 63 million dollars for a CB when they already had the league's 6th ranked pass D. There isn't much room for growth in that department. Ironically, Denver had the least amount of INTS last year. I hope they aren't counting on Champ to help in that department. And on top of that, Denver traded away their stud RB who was responsible for making them the 2nd best rushing offense in the league. Portis should make a HUGE difference in helping Washington's 22nd ranked rush offense.

But enough of me trying to justifying the trade. I think Champ wanted to leave and he got his wish. Good riddence.

garedskin
03-04-2004, 11:24 AM
I am like this if Bailey wanted to be a Redskin he would.Bottom line Darryll Green taught him very well but character just can not be taught when there are so many $$$$$$ taking up your heart.and that is one huge flaw of Baileys. Bailey will never ever have the heart and character of the likes of Darryll Green. Thanks to Bailey/agent we now have another GOOD cornerback and a Runningback to boot. THANK YOU Roland/tapeworm and good ridance and bad luck to you both in Denver.

rskinsfan10
03-04-2004, 06:09 PM
I told you guys last summer from a very, very reliable source that Champ's intent was to leave the entire time. No amount of money would have kept him here. He attempted to play the fans into believing that the ball was in the FO's court, when it never was. This is exactly how I was told that it would play out, and to the credit of my source, it did.

Skin_Finatic
03-04-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by skins74
Do we play Denver? I want to see Portis catch a pass on Champ and outrun him to the goaline. Then I want to see Portis run over Champ. Prediction Champ gets scored on many o times.

how bout coles!

Keino
03-04-2004, 06:15 PM
It's not a matter of loyalty or sainthood, Mark. Gibbs has a vested interest in saying things like that. That's pretty obvious, I think. What I've seen and read leads me to believe Champ preferred to play elsewhere, but, like just about every other player in the league, his final destination would have been the team that signed the biggest check.

Sorry, I think the notion that Bailey hates the Redskins more than he loves money is silly.

Tom, cmon man. You're implying that Gibbs is being less than honest about Champ's situation, and that my friend is less believable than the notion that no amount of money could've kept Champ here.

Sometimes it's not about money. And if it is about money, well then Bravo Mr. Snyder and Mr. Gibbs for not giving Champ 9 Million per year. That is absurd.

Springs is no Bailey, but we've never had a back who has put up 1500 yards in his career. We WIN. Time to let Champ go be a Bronco.

Chief Seeway
03-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by rskinsfan10
a very, very reliable source that Champ's intent was to leave the entire time. This is exactly how I was told that it would play out, and to the credit of my source, it did.

Thanks for the credit! In return thank you for not revealing your source... err...damn!;)

rskinsfan10
03-04-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by seeway
Thanks for the credit! In return thank you for not revealing your source... err...damn!;)

:D

rskinsfan10
03-07-2004, 10:27 AM

The more he talks Tom, the more I believe in said hatred.

CarMike
03-07-2004, 10:47 AM
Me too Kenny....

Spider
03-07-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by dj_stouty
I'm still not sure why the Broncos paid 63 million dollars for a CB when they already had the league's 6th ranked pass D. There isn't much room for growth in that department. Ironically, Denver had the least amount of INTS last year. I hope they aren't counting on Champ to help in that department. And on top of that, Denver traded away their stud RB who was responsible for making them the 2nd best rushing offense in the league. Portis should make a HUGE difference in helping Washington's 22nd ranked rush offense.

But enough of me trying to justifying the trade. I think Champ wanted to leave and he got his wish. Good riddence.
We had no choice , yes we had the 6 th Ranked Pass D and was one of the least in interceptions , We can defend the Pass , and T.O. are nice but not as critical as keeping the 3 rd down Conversion rate down below 30% for the opposing team ...
With that being said Denver had no depth in the secondary , the colts playoff game exposed that ......
So we get a Champ Bailey , with Walls then we can use Herdon as a Nickle/Dime back .......
So we realy dont need Bailey to Pick off a ton of Passes a few would be nice , but what we need is a guy that can secure a side of the Field on 3 rd downs .......

Smiley
03-07-2004, 11:11 AM
Spider, You found the corner you were looking for - he will shut down one side of the field. I know we'll give up more big plays without Champ but we'll make a few more with Portis. I thought it was very good for both teams. I expect you guys to draft a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round and produce yet another very good back. We couldn't pay Champ what he wanted after his actions this year, I know that wasn't the only reason we let him go but it sends a message to the other players on out team - play hard or get out. No one is indespensible.

vegeta2364
03-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Hey guys who can blaim bailey for wanting more money but him wining like that is a no no. I really liked him. I had mad respect for him but he wants to leave the next superbowl team! thats his lost and Shawn Springs gain!!!!

WERE superbowl bound baby!!

P.S. Arrington needs a new agent. Arringotn has said he wants to be a redskins for life. We should set up some deal like we did with bruce - instead of lavar having to get his 200th sack for a bonus he has to do something else to get a bonus - any ideas on what he should do to get this bonus?