PDA

View Full Version : Here's the deal

JakeIron
03-07-2004, 02:13 AM
Now that Berry and Coleman are off the D-line pool in FA the redskins have two choices. If we want to possibly make the playoffs NEXT year, we'll have to trade down and upgrade our D-line. If you look last year's team stats for sacks, 7 out of top 10 teams made the postseason and miami had a 10-6 record. As someone said yearlier, it doesn't matter who your DBs are if the opposing QB has 15 seconds to throw the ball, someone WILL be open. However, IMO if we drafted Taylor we could miss the playoffs next year BUT get an ultimate playmaker for next 15 years and make the playoffs 10 times in a row. OK, a little exaggerated but you get the point. (Unless Taylor is like Owens, always whining about everything). I think it's never a good thing not to draft the best player out there.

I'm pretty sure FO will trade down and try to pick Udeze, Wilfork or Harris and an additional pick. Let's just hope the guy we pick will be a solid starter for some time because I don't think draft is the place where you fill your instant needs. That's what you do in FA. Fortunately we now have Gibbs, who can sense these things. So my point is, taking Taylor now wouldn't be a great idea considering next season (and the current DL) but it could pay out in the next 10 years.

Odyn
03-07-2004, 09:16 AM
The only problem is that Taylor will never be here for 10 years. Not in today's NFL. He would probably only be here for 5 years. In our current state we need to win now. That would meen upgrading the dline. That is our biggest priority.

I really don't care who we draft, but if we stay at 5, it must be taylor. Udeze may be there at 10, we need to take that chance ang get some picks.

akhhorus
03-07-2004, 10:13 AM
Pittsburgh is looking to move up to get one of the QBs: maybe the skins can wrangle a second and something else out of them

JoeJacksonTaylor28
03-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by JakeIron
I don't think draft is the place where you fill your instant needs. That's what you do in FA.

That's right. We cannot fill holes via draft, we can upgrade. Safety is a position that can be upgraded at the draft. DL is a need that is taken care of via FA.

Let's get Taylor.

VirginiaRedskin
03-07-2004, 05:42 PM
We have not upgraded the D-line enough. We have obtained some solid players, but certainly no players with true potential to become dominating. I feel that a dominating defensive line is more important than a dominating safety. Trade down for Udeze, Wilfolk or Harris and also reap the benefits of an additional pick. Either way, I trust Gibbs and Williams to evaluate what player is best for their needs.

SkinsCT
03-07-2004, 08:58 PM
Filling holes is how you upgrade in this league. If your team goes into the draft thinking that you're a rookie away from making the playoffs you're dead wrong. Getting Udeze will not be the thing that gets us into the playoffs, but he will upgrade our defensive line to where we can match up better against the run and the pass. We only have 3 DE's right now so he would be our 4th guy and hopefully be a difference maker immediately rushing the passer.