hailRedskins.com Fan Board

hailRedskins.com Fan Board (http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/index.php)
-   the Cherokee Redskins Tribe (http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Unofficial HR We MUST Sign Matt Flynn thread (http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=53866)

44 goes 50 gut 01-01-2012 03:20 PM

Unofficial HR We MUST Sign Matt Flynn thread

Looks like he's going to end up with 400 yards over 60% completion percentage and at least 4 TD's. Playing with many starters resting and a very motivated Detroit. Spent more time watching Flynn play than the Skins Eagles.

Pros:
Obviously can play at pro level
Quick reads and progressions.
Good to very good arm strength
Fast release
Good pocket awareness (feels the rush and seems to have pass rush clock)
Decent mobility (can scramble, and throw from bootleg though not asked to in GB system )
Excellent footwork (sets and throws off front foot in all but most scrambley situation)
Doesn't miss a beat with 2nd stringers.

Cons:
he'll have his pick of destinations, he is easily the sexiest FA next year after this performance. Could argue even without this Performance.
Has only started 2 games... (Has looked damn good in both)
Is product of great system, so some risk of "Kolb/Cassels-drop-off-itis"

(make that 5 TD passes)

The skins have the money to make it happen, but they have several albatrosses... WR talent selling Flynn on DC would be easier with a top WR. Maybe they do something in FA their too. On the other hand getting a SB ring right away doesn't need to be Flynn's prime mover... he has one obviously.

Dont know personally if their was ever a time where firing up Redskins One and flying out to visit a FA on midnight of free agency might be worth the gamble this seems like it.

I dont believe in Snyder's past approch and for that reason I am really mixed about this. OTOH the Skins might have to pay out the a** to get a top QB in the draft... Flynn is young for a UFA, and that pick could be used on a top WR or traded back for another 12 pick re-stocking type draft, and more money thrown at a #1 WR.

What do YOU think?

Skinreds 01-01-2012 03:36 PM

I completely agree. This way we could keep draft picks and build around him.

I say take Blackmon with our 1st pick. Normally I would cringe at taking a receiver so high but we have NO playmakers and this would make Flynn more comfortable if he were to come here.

NOW, if we don't get Flynn, there's no way in HELL I say get Blackmon.

Lavar703 01-01-2012 03:38 PM

Dude just threw an absolutely beautiful deep pass. Hit the receiver right in stride.

skinfanjon 01-01-2012 03:42 PM

I'm sold. Forget Griffin, give me some Flynn. WOW.

JRudy 01-01-2012 03:43 PM

Wow, this guy is immpresive.

Skins3 01-01-2012 03:44 PM

6 td passes

Lavar703 01-01-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skinfanjon (Post 1424573)
I'm sold. Forget Griffin, give me some Flynn. WOW.

I would be shocked if he's not a Brown though. Holmgren has to be salivating at the chance to sign Flynn.

akhhorus 01-01-2012 03:46 PM

His performance is going mean that he's going to get 25+ million plus. Im impressed by him, but not that impressed.

BigCountry 01-01-2012 03:47 PM

I'm going to have to watch the whole thing on Shortcuts later to really asses him, but he seems to have great anticipation and is very quick minded; two crucial traits for a QB. I had some doubts about his arm strength but he makes up for it by getting the ball out fast with impecable timing at times.

The one issue is as far as I know the Packers don't have any major free agents they're going to have to use the franchise tag on and I can't imagine their cap situation is going to hinder them from using it on Flynn. Especially after today's performance, those expecting him to hit the free market may be in for a disapointment.

EDIT:
Jermichael Finley is a free agent which will certainly give them something to think about, but once again they're probably enough under the cap to be able to figure something out and I don't see them using the tag on a tight end, but rather getting something for Flynn and paying Finley.

Lavar703 01-01-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akhhorus (Post 1424579)
His performance is going mean that he's going to get 25+ million plus. Im impressed by him, but not that impressed.

At some point we need to take a chance. I would rather take a chance on cap space than a bounty of draft picks to secure the rights to Andrew Luck. That deep ball he threw to Jones I believe, was beautiful. If we can sign him and then draft Blackmon I will be a happy camper.

Santheb 01-01-2012 03:49 PM

He put on quite a show, but that team is super talented.

Lavar703 01-01-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCountry (Post 1424581)
I'm going to have to watch the whole thing on Shortcuts later to really asses him, but he seems to have great anticipation and is very quick minded; two crucial traits for a QB. I had some doubts about his arm strength but he makes up for it by getting the ball out fast with impecable timing at times.

The one issue is as far as I know the Packers don't have any major free agents they're going to have to use the franchise tag on and I can't imagine their cap situation is going to hinder them from using it on Flynn. Especially after today's performance, those expecting him to hit the free market may be in for a disapointment.

There's no way they use the franchise tag on Flynn.

akhhorus 01-01-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavar703 (Post 1424582)
At some point we need to take a chance. I would rather take a chance on cap space than a bounty of draft picks to secure the rights to Andrew Luck. That deep ball he threw to Jones I believe, was beautiful. If we can sign him and then draft Blackmon I will be a happy camper.

I'm 1000000% in agreement that the skins need a QB to build around and I've been on the Flynn bandwagon since last year: I would just rather someone else overpay him. If I could sign him for 3 years, 18 million with option years after that, Id do it tomorrow. But some QB starved team(like Seattle, Miami maybe, Jets, etc) will probably offer much more.

BIGREDSKINSFAN1963 01-01-2012 03:52 PM

he is now up to 6 tds.favre never did that,neither has rodgers,lynn dickey,or bart starr.like i said,we should sign matt flyn and rg III. i would rather have an excellent backup and NOT need it than To need him and NOT have it!

BigCountry 01-01-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavar703 (Post 1424584)
There's no way they use the franchise tag on Flynn.

Why not? There will be a good market for him and they're well under the cap.