Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Ray Willis Is Another Free Agent Target
Old 02-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Sentinel

Default Ray Willis Is Another Free Agent Target

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/red...r_free_ag.html

Quote:
Ray Willis, the young Seattle tackle, could be the solution to Washington's right tackle problems, and is someone the team is looking at as free agency looms, according to a league source. Willis, 26, did not play much in his first three years in Seattle - he was drafted while Skins coaches Jim Zorn and Stump Mitchell were on the staff - but when injuries hit the Seahawks' line last year, he started 10 games and fared well.

He is still a bit raw, but has great size at 6-feet-6, 315 pounds. Some executives in the league believe him to be Washington's top tackle option, and he will not be too expensive to land. With Derrick Dockery released and now someone younger who could be plugged in at guard, the Skins have some decent options. As we have previously reported, the Skins have given no indications that they will be making a play for the more expensive young offensive linemen like Jason Brown or Chris Kemoeatu.

If the Skins can't land someone like Willis or Dockery, then older players coming off injuries would fit the value role. These are guys we have already discussed this week like Jeff Saturday, Mark Tauscher and Stacy Andrews.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Banned

"Washington's top tackle option"

Are there any free agents who are NOT a top option?

Old 02-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAVEONAWARPATH View Post
just saw that.. he sounds like heyer-- big guy with limited footwork

better option would be jon stinchcomb of the saints.. solid player. already a starter.. would depend upon how much he wants

Old 02-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
just saw that.. he sounds like heyer-- big guy with limited footwork

better option would be jon stinchcomb of the saints.. solid player. already a starter.. would depend upon how much he wants
Based on what fans in Seattle say, he sounds better suited to guard than tackle. See: http://www.fieldgulls.com/2009/2/9/7...-retrospective .

Old 02-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Chief

zorn must be familiar with him then.

But as sure as God made black and white what's done in the dark will be brought to the light"

“If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, “Roll, Tide, Roll!”

Paul"Bear"Bryant

Old 02-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Healer

Christ, who aren't the Skins going after?? My guess is that we'll sign 2-3 max of all these FA's we're rumoured to be interested in.

That being said I never heard of Willis before this but would seem like a decent value pick up.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Moderator / 3 PEAT [2010-2011-2012] hR Fantasy NBA Champion

Ironically I know his father in law, he's the head of the rec department down here. He just mentioned to me in Food Lion the other night that we were interested in Ray and vice versa, which was fine with him because then his daughter would be closer lol. I didnt think too much about it at the time but might not be a bad option. I like him and Dock to sure up the OL, he also played RG for Seattle so he has some versatility. I met him last summer when he was in town pretty cool guy, my son even got his autograph.

"After three or four, in the huddle I said to Russ, 'Play along with me,' " Bostic said. "I got to the line, and I said to Randy White, 'Our coaching staff loves you. We're going to run it over you again.' Then on the next play Russ told him. Randy wasn't very happy, but after three or four times, he didn't say a word."

Old 02-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCskinsfanatic View Post
Ironically I know his father in law, he's the head of the rec department down here. He just mentioned to me in Food Lion the other night that we were interested in Ray and vice versa, which was fine with him because then his daughter would be closer lol. I didnt think too much about it at the time but might not be a bad option. I like him and Dock to sure up the OL, he also played RG for Seattle so he has some versatility. I met him last summer when he was in town pretty cool guy, my son even got his autograph.
proof of tampering?

Old 02-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Shaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bear View Post
proof of tampering?
ssshhhhhhh!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspring View Post
ssshhhhhhh!
like the NFL would ever believe a message board report and use it as evidence to convict the skins of tampering. the seahawks would have to have more proof than that should they decide to file tampering charges

Old 02-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Moderator / 3 PEAT [2010-2011-2012] hR Fantasy NBA Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bear View Post
proof of tampering?
lmao...nah as we say round here they're just chewing the fat a lil early but he did mention this too me, must have been Sunday maybe.

"After three or four, in the huddle I said to Russ, 'Play along with me,' " Bostic said. "I got to the line, and I said to Randy White, 'Our coaching staff loves you. We're going to run it over you again.' Then on the next play Russ told him. Randy wasn't very happy, but after three or four times, he didn't say a word."

Old 02-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Ghost Dancer

anyone else like the idea of taking a chance on a younger cheaper below the radar guy for right tackle? personally i never heard of ray willis. if he comes cheap its competition atleast. i can see jon jansen disgruntled on the bench this year already.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Shaman

Never heard of this guy but like the idea of him. I am sure zorn knows how good he is and he is going to be cheap, he is very young and has upside. It just seems like a much more sensible option then some of these other guys.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:57 PM
hR Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnpegSkinsFan View Post
Christ, who aren't the Skins going after?? My guess is that we'll sign 2-3 max of all these FA's we're rumoured to be interested in.

That being said I never heard of Willis before this but would seem like a decent value pick up.
Everyone mentions the Redskins to jack up their price.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Spirit

He would be a good pickup if we got him and dock then we could grab the top dt or slb availble well we prob get canty or haynesworth so tbd. im excited to see this all shake out. specifically ahynesowrth what he gets even if its not here