Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Unofficial HR We MUST Sign Matt Flynn thread
Old 01-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Brave

Default Unofficial HR We MUST Sign Matt Flynn thread

Looks like he's going to end up with 400 yards over 60% completion percentage and at least 4 TD's. Playing with many starters resting and a very motivated Detroit. Spent more time watching Flynn play than the Skins Eagles.

Pros:
Obviously can play at pro level
Quick reads and progressions.
Good to very good arm strength
Fast release
Good pocket awareness (feels the rush and seems to have pass rush clock)
Decent mobility (can scramble, and throw from bootleg though not asked to in GB system )
Excellent footwork (sets and throws off front foot in all but most scrambley situation)
Doesn't miss a beat with 2nd stringers.

Cons:
he'll have his pick of destinations, he is easily the sexiest FA next year after this performance. Could argue even without this Performance.
Has only started 2 games... (Has looked damn good in both)
Is product of great system, so some risk of "Kolb/Cassels-drop-off-itis"

(make that 5 TD passes)

The skins have the money to make it happen, but they have several albatrosses... WR talent selling Flynn on DC would be easier with a top WR. Maybe they do something in FA their too. On the other hand getting a SB ring right away doesn't need to be Flynn's prime mover... he has one obviously.

Dont know personally if their was ever a time where firing up Redskins One and flying out to visit a FA on midnight of free agency might be worth the gamble this seems like it.

I dont believe in Snyder's past approch and for that reason I am really mixed about this. OTOH the Skins might have to pay out the a** to get a top QB in the draft... Flynn is young for a UFA, and that pick could be used on a top WR or traded back for another 12 pick re-stocking type draft, and more money thrown at a #1 WR.

What do YOU think?

Old 01-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Hunter

I completely agree. This way we could keep draft picks and build around him.

I say take Blackmon with our 1st pick. Normally I would cringe at taking a receiver so high but we have NO playmakers and this would make Flynn more comfortable if he were to come here.

NOW, if we don't get Flynn, there's no way in HELL I say get Blackmon.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Comanchero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinreds View Post
I say take Blackmon with our 1st pick. Normally I would cringe at taking a receiver so high but we have NO playmakers and this would make Flynn more comfortable if he were to come here.

NOW, if we don't get Flynn, there's no way in HELL I say get Blackmon.
There is one rule based on the last 10 years..don't ever ever waste a high first round draft pick on a wide receiver. Out of all the skill positions, wr is the easiest to find amazing talent for in rounds 2-4 and also the biggest gamble position. Just look at the last 5 or 6 the Skins have drafted...barely good enough to make special teams. Its so hard to know if a wr's college talent will translate in the NFL.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Comanchero

Flynn has a fantastic oline and skill positions. Did you see what Grossman went through today. I would expect a major drop off in DC

Old 01-01-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin-E-Dip View Post
Flynn has a fantastic oline and skill positions. Did you see what Grossman went through today. I would expect a major drop off in DC
Grossman is a coward, a douche and doesn't deserve the air he breaths. I don't understand the comparison. Maybe Flynn won't throw six TDs but he won't terribly under throw every deep pass.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoak View Post
Grossman is a coward, a douche and doesn't deserve the air he breaths. I don't understand the comparison. Maybe Flynn won't throw six TDs but he won't terribly under throw every deep pass.
I believe the comparison was of the two supporting casts. He said he doesn't think Flynn would fare as well with the Skins' O-Line/receivers/backs as he did today with the Packers' group. It didn't have anything to do with Grossman.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Chief

Quote:
There is one rule based on the last 10 years..don't ever ever waste a high first round draft pick on a wide receiver. Out of all the skill positions, wr is the easiest to find amazing talent for in rounds 2-4 and also the biggest gamble position. Just look at the last 5 or 6 the Skins have drafted...barely good enough to make special teams. Its so hard to know if a wr's college talent will translate in the NFL.
The same last 10 years that produced the likes Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson? "Don't ever" is a major exaduration.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post
The same last 10 years that produced the likes Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson? "Don't ever" is a major exaduration.
And AJ Green and Julio Jones look pretty darn good right now.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
the lions also drafted Rogers 1 year before Johnson.. second overall, i believe..

Old 01-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
the lions also drafted Rogers 1 year before Johnson.. second overall, i believe..
Of course there are going to be some misses but to say the rule is "don't ever" take a WR with a high pick is wrong.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Comanchero

Quote:
Sure you can find great wr talent and if you have NO other holes to fill then sure take one. But smart organizations that are competive year after year are not using first rounders on wide receivers. Look at the Peyton Colts, Packers, and Patriots. They stick with a rock solid QB and oline, good TEs and stick any joe smoe in and turn him into a probowler (Wes Welker who?).

The Skins have waaaay too many holes to be wasting a first rounder on a wide out.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Sure you can find great wr talent and if you have NO other holes to fill then sure take one. But smart organizations that are competive year after year are not using first rounders on wide receivers. Look at the Peyton Colts, Packers, and Patriots. They stick with a rock solid QB and oline, good TEs and stick any joe smoe in and turn him into a probowler (Wes Welker who?).

The Skins have waaaay too many holes to be wasting a first rounder on a wide out.
The two exceptions I can think of for me are Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson. Those two I would have sold the farm to get. Fitz I love, but I didn't see much of him in college

Old 01-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Look at the Peyton Colts, Packers, and Patriots. They stick with a rock solid QB and oline, good TEs and stick any joe smoe in and turn him into a probowler (Wes Welker who?).
Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne were both first-rounders.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Chief

Quote:

I've been saying the same thing all year, but to say the rule is you never draft a WR high is wrong.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Spirit

Dude just threw an absolutely beautiful deep pass. Hit the receiver right in stride.

Hi! My name is Salvatore