Combine Results:
40 Yard Dash : 4.52 seconds
Vertical Jump : 38.5 inches
Broad Jump : 128.0 inches
3 Cone Drill : 6.72 seconds
20 Yard Shuttle : 3.96 seconds

Featured Prospects

Overview

Known as the Atlantic Coast Conference's hardest-hitting tackler, Barnes became a YouTube sensation after that service began showing the vicious hit he delivered on California's Jahvid Best early last season that caused the running back to "lose his lunch" from the bone-jarring tackle. But making sensational tackles had become a normal thing for the Terrapin defender. "That's probably the hardest hit I've ever taken in my life," Best said at the time. "It really knocked the wind out of me, and I had a little trouble breathing for the rest of the game."

During 2008 spring camp, Barnes stopped running back Morgan Green (who outweighed him by 30 pounds) in his tracks during an intra-squad game, leaving his teammate being carried off the field. However, it was another violent collision that would bring his college career to an end. In the team's seventh game of 2008, he clobbered Wake Forest receiver D.J. Boldin as both were going for the pass, resulting in the Terps defensive back suffering a torn labrum, fractured left scapula, broken collarbone and rotator cuff damage.

While an injury of that caliber would result in a long recovery period, Barnes proved at the NFL Combine that he was more than ready to compete in the agility tests. He had gone to great lengths to make sure he's completely healthy. Since graduating in December, he began working out at the Athletes' Performance Institute in Tempe, Arizona, along with Maryland teammate Darrius Heyward-Bey. "My primary thing was to rehab my shoulder," said Barnes. "I'm pretty much 99 percent right now."

"You'd never know he was injured," Heyward-Bey said. "At first, he couldn't do a lot of the (weightlifting) stuff. But other than that, he's been right in the mix." Barnes understands the NFL evaluation process well enough to know that there are other questions about him. He has the reputation as being a strong coverage corner who might struggle to make tackles on running plays in the NFL. "Most of the time (at Maryland) I was a coverage guy," he said. "They want to see how physical I am."

That issue might seem moot to those who watched him during his career at Maryland. Over the years, Barnes has delivered some memorable blows despite hit lack of bulk. As far as Maryland coach Ralph Friedgen is concerned, Barnes' abilities are beyond question.

"If he's healthy," Friedgen said, "He has a chance to be drafted pretty good."

Barnes was a two-year starter during his three-year football career at Old Mill high School.

The cornerback and wide receiver was named Big School All-State by the Associated Press, All-Metro first-team by the Baltimore Sun and honorable mention All-Metro by The Washington Post. He was a Mid-Atlantic All-Region pick by Super Prep and All-Region selection by Prep Star. He added second-team Big School All-State (AP), honorable mention All-Met (Baltimore Sun) and All-County accolades as a junior.

Barnes posted 62 tackles (32 solos), three interceptions, three pass deflections and a fumble recovery as a senior. He also had 17 receptions for 435 yards and three touchdowns in 2003, as well as one rushing touchdown. He produced nine interceptions and 129 tackles in his two years as a starter.

Barnes also posted 10 receptions for 222 yards and four touchdowns as a junior. In addition to football, he competed in track and basketball. He captured the state Class 4A high jump with a leap of 6'6" in his first year competing as a junior.

An early commitment who was also recruited by Virginia and Duke, Barnes was named the Terps' Defensive Scout Team Player of the Week twice in 2004. He played mostly on special teams in 10 games during the 2005 campaign, as the reserve "field" cornerback posted four solo tackles and broke up one pass.

He shifted to "boundary" cornerback in 2006, appearing in 13 games, starting in place of Josh Wilson vs. Florida International. He went on to register 11 tackles (9 solos). Barnes took over strong-side cornerback duties in 2007, starting all 13 games. He received All-Atlantic Coast Conference recognition after producing a career-high 65 tackles (47 solos) with 5.5 stops for loss, as 15 of his hits came on third-down snaps. He broke up nine passes and intercepted four others.

Barnes was named to the Terrapin Council (team's leadership committee) in 2008, as the preseason All-ACC choice was having a solid campaign. Through the team's first seven games, he allowed just 10 receptions by his main pass coverage assignment. He made 20 tackles (15 solos), caused two fumbles and also blocked a kick. He batted away five throws and came up with a pair of interceptions.

High School

Attended Old Mill (Glen Burnia, Mary.) High School, playing football for head coach Mike Marcus...Two-year starter during his three-year football career...The cornerback and wide receiver was named Big School All-State by the Associated Press, All-Metro first-team by the Baltimore Sun and honorable mention All-Metro by The Washington Post...Mid-Atlantic All-Region pick by Super Prep and All-Region selection by Prep Star...Added second-team Big School All-State (AP), honorable mention All-Met (Baltimore Sun) and All-County accolades as a junior...Posted 62 tackles (32 solos), three interceptions, three pass deflections and a fumble recovery as a senior...Also had 17 receptions for 435 yards and three touchdowns in 2003, as well as one rushing touchdown...Added nine interceptions and 129 tackles in his two years as a starter...Collected 10 receptions for 222 yards and four touchdowns as a junior...Also competed in track and basketball...Captured the state Class 4A high jump with a leap of 6'6" in his first year competing as a junior.