Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

The case for Firing Mike Shanahan
  #1  
Old 12-20-2010, 12:14 PM
CNYSkinFan's Avatar
CNYSkinFan CNYSkinFan is offline
hR Staff Writer
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 27,390
Default The case for Firing Mike Shanahan

Ok I know I am going to get alot of flack for this thread, and I just don't care. I have been very critical of the Shanahan coaching situation from the start of training camp on and yes, last week I finally decided that I am no longer on the fence, I want Shanahan fired. That is right, I am willing to pull the trigger now. Call me impatient, call me delirious, but I have looked at what has happened to this franchise and I find the Shanahan coaching staff wanting. I for one think Dan Snyder should man up, take the PR hit at the end of the year, and make the change needed.

My argument is plain and simple. Shanahan has taken an aging team with a moderate amount of talent and put us in a position where we are getting older and our best players are playing out of position or in some cases not playing at all. While doing this he has failed to get us younger and has actually impeded the few young prospects we have by not playing them. This was all done because of his massive ego.

My support for this argument is broken out into several points below:

1.) The disastrous switch to the 3-4. Alot of ire and rancor is aimed at Haslett, but make no mistake, this was Shanny's call. He alone ordained that you can not win a super bowl with a 4-3 defense and ordered the change despite the Redskins not having the personnel to do so. Instead of phasing in 3-4 looks and getting a few young 3-4 pieces that we could then switch over gradually, he decided on whole sale change. That is fine if you have a ton of draft picks and can get some young players, we did not do that. So we brought in a few aging ineffective 3-4 guys (Carriker, Keamatu) and forced others to play out of position (Orakpo, Carter, Alexander, McIntosh, Haynesworth, and yes even Fletcher). We ignored major glaring openings like the entire back four and made the front 7 as ineffectual as ever.

2.) The Albert Haynesworth Saga. Shanny’s decision to go to the 3-4 caused this issue, but it is his handling of the situation I call into question. It became clear early on that this was not going to work. AH wanted a trade, wanted to play in a 4-3, and Shanny did not budge. Instead of trading him before the season, he ran him through a highly publicized conditioning test when he came back, several times failing him on a technicality, and every time making sure the media knew about it. Then throughout the season inactivated him and continued his war of words in the media. I expected nothing better then AH who is a spoiled millionaire in his twenties. I expect more from a super bowl winning coach. He could have traded him before the season, traded him before the deadline, but instead he decided to exert his will. We as fans may applaud being “tough” with a spoiled athlete, but I ask is our team better off after this debacle? The redskins paid a lot of money for the satisfaction of teaching Al a lesson (a lesson I doubt he will learn since it looks likely the NFLPA will win the appeal IMO) and we have no draft picks as compensation, and most likely will get none.

3.) The Donovan McNabb trade/benching. So much to say about this, so little time. This was handled completely and utterly wrong. I have racked my brain for another example of a team trading for a pro bowl winning coach only to bench him after 13 games only to supplant him with a journeyman QB to evaluate whether that QB will be a good backup next year. It has to be the stupidest decision despite any results from Rex. (And though Rex played ok for about 20 minutes, we still stunk up the joint for most of the game on offense). The timing of it was done after Donovan led the team on a 2 minute drill that should have tied the game if it was not for a botched PAT. Never mind the fact that Donovan was supposedly benched earlier in the year for not being able to do that very thing. Never mind all the reports that this came about as a result of his spoiled son making an ultimatum. Never mind all that. The very way it was done was complete bogus and once again, by all but announcing the fact that we have no interest in keeping McNabb next year, we will get no compensation for him when teams can wait on us to decide whether to pay him his 10 million dollar roster bonus this coming March. They will watch us release him and then sign him in the open market.

4.) Shanahan rather lose his way then win. What became apparent in the post-game pressers against Dallas is that Shanahan did not care about the score of the game, he only cared that people thought that the move to Grossman was the right move. In fact it was only Grossman who seemed dejected about losing. I kept wondering why everyone was so happy? In the very same game we lost our 4th straight game, lost to Dallas our hated rival, assuring ourselves a losing record, and most likely last place in the NFC East. Why the hell was Shanny so happy? Because he got to say he told us so (even though everyone is ignoring that Rex’s turnovers cost us 14 points nad put us in the hole to begin with). Is that the mentality of a winner? I say no. That is the mentality of someone who wants to glorify his name, not the franchise. Can anyone imagine Joe Gibbs holding that type of press conference after a crushing loss to our hated rival? As arrogant as Belicheck is, I doubt he is so happy after losses.

5.) The pushing of youth down to promote aging vets. If Shanahan is remaking this team from the ground up, why does he constantly rely on mediocre vet talent that is not getting it done on the field yet when youngsters remain inactive and not getting experience. It took forever for Armstrong to break the starting lineup at WR and yes, eventually Galloway was cut. But why was he signed in the first place? Why was our off season focus bringing in older vets who washed up at other teams (Hicks, Buchanon, Lichtensteiger) while not promoting our youth. The fact is Shanahan wanted to win now instead of actually tuning over the roster. That is why he traded for McNabb, that is why he resigned vets like Daniels and traded for Jamall Brown. He failed, and now we have little draft picks left to rebuild the franchise and the youngsters who can contribute are stuck behind vet players who are ineffective (Cook behind Rabach, Austin behind Roydell Williams). This may change now that the season is a total failure, but that does not absolve Shanahan from the fact that the season IS A TOTAL FAILURE. He decided to trade draft picks and treasure to win this year yet fans want to pretend he needs time to make over the roster. I agree he does need time, but he is not doing that. I pay for my daughter to go to college because she wants a four year degree, if she decides to party it up one year making a ton of bad decisions, failing classes, do I have to wait until her proposed graduation date to hold her accountable even though I know she has squandered my money and most likely it will take more time to finish the graduating process?

6.) He will cost the Redskins more in money then paying him the rest of his contract. I firmly believe Shanny would be gone this off season if Snyder did not already do that to Schottenheimer. By most accounts Snyder has been hands off this season, in fact he was reportedly in Europe when the decisions about McNabb were made. But I think there is discord in the Redskins Front Office and I think it may boil over if we end the season 0-6. I point to the fact that McNabb got a $3 million dollar apology for the benching in Detroit with his contract extension as evidence that perhaps Snyder and Allen are not thrilled with Shanny’s evaluations. Also there were numerous reports about Kyle’s play calling (which still sucked against Dallas) and I think the Grossman maneuver was made just to try and prove a point, and Shanny’s post game press conference proves that. I feel for Snyder that he can’t make this move this year because of the sins of his past, but only a little because he got himself in the predicament. Shanny has $28 million left on his contract. If we do what he wants, and sell the draft to move up and get a top flight qb (because that is what it will take) we will waste that in guaranteed money alone. Swallow the pill Danny, pay Shanny because he is going to cost you more in the long run.

SO That is my case. Some of you in other threads asked for it so now you got it. We could win next year, make a serious playoff run, if we switch back to the 4-3, put McNabb in a system suited to his talents, and draft some youth on the OL and Secondary. The only way we do that is get rid of the Shanahans. I said last week I am on the fire Shanahan Bus and in the driver’s seat. I know many of you are not there yet, but you will be, eventually. I’ll keep the seats warm.
__________________
Yeah...it sucks to be right sometimes

http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/...light=shanahan

Last edited by CNYSkinFan : 12-20-2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Edited to adjust from Word conversion
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 12-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Farmer Ted's Avatar
Farmer Ted Farmer Ted is offline
Ghost Dancer
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,985
Default

You really want to fire Shanahan? Awesome, who will the next coach be? Urban Meyer? It's been a while since Snyder hired a college coach, so he's probably in line for the job. The team's major problem is going to always be Snyder, and going through another coach isn't going to fix it.
__________________
I never bagged a babe.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 12-20-2010, 12:23 PM
CNYSkinFan's Avatar
CNYSkinFan CNYSkinFan is offline
hR Staff Writer
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 27,390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Ted View Post
You really want to fire Shanahan? Awesome, who will the next coach be? Urban Meyer? It's been a while since Snyder hired a college coach, so he's probably in line for the job. The team's major problem is going to always be Snyder, and going through another coach isn't going to fix it.
If you believe Shanahan will win fine, make that argument. But if you don't then don't give me the "who are we going to get" crap. There are a ton of young coordinators that Allen as a real GM could attract that Sndyderratto could not (thus being forced to hire Zornb before he was ready to be a hot dog vendor let alone HC)

I think russ Greimm has been my choice as a HC for about a few years now, I wanted him to take over for Gibbs, I think he would make an excellent coach
__________________
Yeah...it sucks to be right sometimes

http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/...light=shanahan
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 12-20-2010, 12:32 PM
shally's Avatar
shally shally is offline
Grumpy Old Man
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: new orleans, now the palm springs of washington
Posts: 59,157
Default

This is simply ridiculous. You dont hire an experienced head coach and then pull the rug out from under him after 1 year. i HATED HATED HATED Marty, but i still think 1 year is not long enough to give a guy a chance to implement his system.

you are CORRECT that trading for McNabb was a major error in judgement. no getting around that one. once you make the decision that he is wrong, make the decision to move on. that one clearly goes on Shanahan's doorstep

as for Haynesworth, that was not Shanahan's error. he inherited a major headache from the past regime. he couldnt get what he wanted in trade (apparently) and hoped he could get production out of him. my guess is that we will net out whatever we could have gotten for in the end. he is healthy, has a friendly salary and someone will take a chance on him.

we are no longer the oldest team in the league. by the way, B'more is, and i dont see any complaints about how they are playing

Cerrato left the cupboard bare and stocked the team with poor talent.. you cant change that in one season

as for the 3/4, you simply cannot change over in 1 year and expect results.. the defense will be better next year as we get younger players who are better suited to the scheme.. maybe we get a better coordinator that Haslett too ?

by the way, no one else has hired Grimm yet.. maybe he will be the next Chuck Noll ? or maybe the next Crennel ???
__________________

Last edited by shally : 12-20-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 12-20-2010, 12:32 PM
GibbsFan's Avatar
GibbsFan GibbsFan is offline
Brave
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Eastern North Carolina
Posts: 1,241
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYSkinFan View Post
If you believe Shanahan will win fine, make that argument. But if you don't then don't give me the "who are we going to get" crap. There are a ton of young coordinators that Allen as a real GM could attract that Sndyderratto could not (thus being forced to hire Zornb before he was ready to be a hot dog vendor let alone HC)

I think russ Greimm has been my choice as a HC for about a few years now, I wanted him to take over for Gibbs, I think he would make an excellent coach
Add me to the Grimm camp.

I wanted to get fireshanny.com yesterday but rex had to have a decent game and screw everything up.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 12-20-2010, 12:46 PM
nicefellow31's Avatar
nicefellow31 nicefellow31 is offline
Medicine Man
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Newport News, Va
Posts: 5,139
Default

I wouldn't fire him, but if I was Snyder, we would have a meeting when the season ends to talk about the direction of the team. Two things in your post stands out to me, the switch to the 3-4 and his "told you so" attitude yesterday. I was watching the Steelers play yesterday and I was thinking it's not the 3-4 that makes their D so good, it's the players. There's an old coaching cliche that says, "it's not the x's and o's but the Mannys and Moes." He keep talking about Pittsburgh, NY Jets, Baltimore (btw their D is struggling now) etc and their while neglecting to talk about how talented their players are. As for yesterday's game, I was saddened to think that he was satisfied that Grossman played well, while the team lost.
__________________

Deeds, not Words
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 12-20-2010, 12:52 PM
DaveKShape's Avatar
DaveKShape DaveKShape is offline
Sachem
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,760
Default

there have been many apparent screw ups this year on the shannys' end. i'm particularly disturbed by the idea that he might be protecting his son over the interest of the team.

that said, i think everyone (yes, including haslett) should get another year. next season, hopefully, we won't have the haynesworth/mcnabb distractions, and we can focus on getting younger/better. if we have similar distractions and screw ups with a new wave of players, then i'll start to lean more towards firings. this season has been awful, but i'm still in the line of thinking that we're in the wake of vinny's complete ineptitude.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 12-20-2010, 01:00 PM
CNYSkinFan's Avatar
CNYSkinFan CNYSkinFan is offline
hR Staff Writer
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 27,390
Default

Sorry guys, the warning signs are there for me. again it is not so much about the individual decisions, even the McnAbb benching, it is about the combination of them all and the follow up after the decisions were made. Take the 3-4, The smart move would have been to draft a couple of young 3-4 players and rotate them in on some 3-4 looks while remaining a base 40-3 defense and then retool the next off season with even more young 3-4 d talent. We decided to throw out the baby with the bathwater and then instead of getting decent personnell we got scrubs and played them out of position...old scrubs for the most part as well.
__________________
Yeah...it sucks to be right sometimes

http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/...light=shanahan
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 12-20-2010, 01:03 PM
CarMike's Avatar
CarMike CarMike is offline
hR Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lexington, NC
Posts: 31,506
Default

The warning signs is benching your boy McNabb.

Good lord. People have bitched and moaned about Snyder firing too many HCs in the past. And now we want to fire Shanahan after 14 games?

lmao

Yeah, that's the answer. Fire yet ANOTHER coaching staff. Unbelievable.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 12-20-2010, 01:04 PM
CNYSkinFan's Avatar
CNYSkinFan CNYSkinFan is offline
hR Staff Writer
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 27,390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarMike View Post
The warning signs is benching your boy McNabb.

Good lord. People have bitched and moaned about Snyder firing too many HCs in the past. And now we want to fire Shanahan after 14 games?

lmao

Yeah, that's the answer. Fire yet ANOTHER coaching staff. Unbelievable.
thats a great post not addressing any of my points.
__________________
Yeah...it sucks to be right sometimes

http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/...light=shanahan
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 12-20-2010, 01:05 PM
CarMike's Avatar
CarMike CarMike is offline
hR Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lexington, NC
Posts: 31,506
Default

'Cause I didn't read your post. The thread title was all I needed to read.

And Thanks.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 12-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Ibleedburgundy's Avatar
Ibleedburgundy Ibleedburgundy is offline
Chief
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,783
Default

Old out-of-position scrubs you say? How do you know we're not preparing for a lockout?

Seriously though CNY, Shanahan was handed a steaming pile of cow poop. Rather than polish that turd, he seems to have eaten the mushrooms. But sooner or later he's going to come down and be Mike Shanahan again.

You gotta give the guy more than 1 year.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 12-20-2010, 01:07 PM
CNYSkinFan's Avatar
CNYSkinFan CNYSkinFan is offline
hR Staff Writer
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 27,390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarMike View Post
'Cause I didn't read your post. The thread title was all I needed to read.

And Thanks.
Well glad I took the time to put it together then. Nice to know any view you find contrary to your own you mimmediately dismiss wihtout investigation
__________________
Yeah...it sucks to be right sometimes

http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/...light=shanahan
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 12-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Ibleedburgundy's Avatar
Ibleedburgundy Ibleedburgundy is offline
Chief
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,783
Default

BTW, a lot of your complaints should be directed at Bruce Allen.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 12-20-2010, 01:12 PM
CNYSkinFan's Avatar
CNYSkinFan CNYSkinFan is offline
hR Staff Writer
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 27,390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibleedburgundy View Post
Old out-of-position scrubs you say? How do you know we're not preparing for a lockout?

Seriously though CNY, Shanahan was handed a steaming pile of cow poop. Rather than polish that turd, he seems to have eaten the mushrooms. But sooner or later he's going to come down and be Mike Shanahan again.

You gotta give the guy more than 1 year.
That was my original thought, and I actually posted that several times here. But if your preparing for a lockout you do whatever you can to trade guys during the season or immediately after the season. Haynesworth, Mcnabb, bith of those situations point to arrogance trumping good coaching and team building.

And I would contedn Shanahan took that steaming piile of crap wiped it all on the franchises's best suit instead of dealing with it. We had/have talent on our roster, we did nothing to amplify that talent.

Name me one area of our team you think is headed in the right direction: Maybe the return game with brandon Banks, though that has tailed off some.

I don't see one area where we are better then last year, and it is not because we are playing young guys that are just learnign. For the most part I dont think we are going to get any better next year either.
__________________
Yeah...it sucks to be right sometimes

http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/...light=shanahan
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 AM.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
| Home | Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Today's Posts | Search | New Posts |