Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hR Archives and Help Desk > Archive Forum

Old 01-02-2011, 10:27 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinskins View Post
I don't know. What I've heard is that Shanny was basically making the picks. I don't think Norv, and most other NFL coaches, have the much authority. Yes, Norv got the more talented team in 2007 but Shanny had been building and rebuilding his team for a decade.
Yeah, that's not accurate. His 2 Superbowls got him more leash than a regular coach would, but he wasn't GM in any capacity. Sundquist was rather well respected in some circles. I think he was up for the President of Football Operations job or something in Seattle a few years back.

The point is that Shanny didn't get to choose this own groceries or even his own budget. More than most coaches? Probably, but not like Bill Parcells or Mike Holmgren. AFAIK, the only title that he ever held in Denver is that of HC.

Meanwhile, Norv took over a young team that went 14-2 the year before and hasn't even made it to the big game. The year after that 14-2 run, he went 11-5 and to the AFC championship game. The next 2 years he went to the playoffs, losing in the divisional round and wildcard round, respectively. This year he missed the playoffs completely -- after having the top 1 or 2 ranked offense AND defense. That is the enigma of Norv. He will always tease you, but he will never win a ring for you.
The one disappointment of the off-season housecleaning that brought Allen and Shanahan here is that they didn't part ways with Larry Michael as well. He is a prominent and unavoidable symbol of the horrible way Snyder and Cerrator ran this team in the past. Moving on to a new era of Redskins football, on and off the field, should have meant severing ties with him as well.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgundyNGold View Post
Yeah, that's not accurate. His 2 Superbowls got him more leash than a regular coach would, but he wasn't GM in any capacity. Sundquist was rather well respected in some circles. I think he was up for the President of Football Operations job or something in Seattle a few years back.

The point is that Shanny didn't get to choose this own groceries or even his own budget. More than most coaches? Probably, but not like Bill Parcells or Mike Holmgren. AFAIK, the only title that he ever held in Denver is that of HC.

Meanwhile, Norv took over a young team that went 14-2 the year before and hasn't even made it to the big game. The year after that 14-2 run, he went 11-5 and to the AFC championship game. The next 2 years he went to the playoffs, losing in the divisional round and wildcard round, respectively. This year he missed the playoffs completely -- after having the top 1 or 2 ranked offense AND defense. That is the enigma of Norv. He will always tease you, but he will never win a ring for you.
Yeah, I guess you're probably right. I guess I'm just not sold on Shanny. I'm sure the Broncos fans love him for winning the two rings, but all he's done with the Skins is trade for McNabb, then bench him, bring the Haynesworth debacle to a head, all while laying a big turd sandwich this season.