Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 02-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Spirit

If we sign Orton then I hope we draft tannenhill even if we have to trade down or back up at the end of the first. If we sign mannIng we need to still draft a qb by rd 4 imo

Old 02-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Chief

as long as grossman and beck are gone,i'm insanely happy!

Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it."
—Mark Twain

“If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, “Roll, Tide, Roll!”

Paul"Bear"Bryant

Old 02-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Chief

I wouldn't mind Grossman at all as long as he is the back up. I like the idea of Orton or Flynn because you shouoldn't have to commit to either long term.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGREDSKINSFAN1963 View Post
as long as grossman and beck are gone,i'm insanely happy!
honestly, i think that Orton is only marginally better

would be counting the days until our Rookie is starting

Old 02-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibleedburgundy View Post
I wouldn't mind Grossman at all as long as he is the back up. I like the idea of Orton or Flynn because you shouoldn't have to commit to either long term.
Orton would be a 1 year deal..Flynn is going to be looking for a long term deal for sure

Old 02-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Hunter

Does this mean we have 0 intrest in Brees. As of now he will become a free agent.

Orton ??? ORTON ????!!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Default Orton ??? ORTON ????!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan36 View Post
If we sign Orton then I hope we draft tannenhill even if we have to trade down or back up at the end of the first. If we sign mannIng we need to still draft a qb by rd 4 imo
My Gawd !! Have we learned nothing ??

The only way to long term success in the NFL is to find a young qb, and grow a team around him..When you go with a Gannon, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, or even a Doug Williams, you might have a year of glory, but then you are mired in in mediocrity once again in very short order..

yes, you could trade for a Flynn, or Hasselbeck, or even a Favre, but you have no guarantee of not getting the next Kolb or Cassel.. the better way is to just keep drafting QB's until you get the right guy

the risk is there and you can get guys like Shuler, or Campbell or Ramsey and that will surely set your team back a couple of years.. but if you dont try, you are never going to come up with the guy to lead your team for 7-15 years..

find THE guy.. do what you need to get him, even if it means using large parts of this draft and future drafts to accomplish this.. there simply is no viable other way, unless you figure to find the next Tom Brady.. and how often does that happen ?? then build around him with what is left of your draft and sign young free agents to fill out your roster.. the Giants paid a lot to get Eli, right now it looks like they got a bargain..

Orton ??? only as a caretaker for less than half a season...

Old 02-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
honestly, i think that Orton is only marginally better

would be counting the days until our Rookie is starting
Agreed. Orton isn't as interception prone but he's a marginal QB and doesn't alter the trajectory of this franchise. If this team must go with one of the three, it has to be Manning, but regardless they must augment the position with a high pick as well.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Healer

I don't understand why everyone is so angry of the interest in Manning? He is a HOF QB and would instantly make our team better. Why dump a bunch of picks to move up for a QB? Draft a QB to groom in the 2nd or 3rd or 4th and draft a tackle at the #6. Let Peyton groom the rookie for a year or two and then see what the kids got.

Peyton will not cost a lot. We are a ton of money under the cap anyway. Give him a performance based contract with little guarantee, like he has already said he would take, and let it go.

You want our young WR's to develop? Peyton will do just that for us. Look what he has done to every mediocre receiver he has had in Indy. He MAKES receivers better and he makes everyone around him better.

Who cares what happens between him and Kyle? Noone wants Kyle here anyway, so it might be for the better.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsMaViSd View Post
I don't understand why everyone is so angry of the interest in Manning? He is a HOF QB and would instantly make our team better. Why dump a bunch of picks to move up for a QB? Draft a QB to groom in the 2nd or 3rd or 4th and draft a tackle at the #6. Let Peyton groom the rookie for a year or two and then see what the kids got. .
Personally, Peyton had an down year in '10 when his o-line broke down, he got little from his running game and his wr's were rotating in and out and coming to the Skins would be a similar situation. His knowledge and preparation would be awesome benefits but his limited mobility and diminishing arm (assuming it even returns to what it was) are negatives. This doesn't even factor it the increased injury potential, especially on a new team where his greatest asset, familiarity, is removed.

Quote:
Peyton will not cost a lot. We are a ton of money under the cap anyway. Give him a performance based contract with little guarantee, like he has already said he would take, and let it go.
Not having to give up much to acquire him is a bonus, but adding him doesn't fix the position. It's a combination move.

Quote:
You want our young WR's to develop? Peyton will do just that for us. Look what he has done to every mediocre receiver he has had in Indy. He MAKES receivers better and he makes everyone around him better.
That makes for good copy and is true to an extent but those guy succeed because the framework and system are in place when the arrive. Not the case shold he arrive in DC.

Quote:
Who cares what happens between him and Kyle? Noone wants Kyle here anyway, so it might be for the better.
I don't think anyone here, or in general, is worried about Kyle's feelings. However, assuming the staff is going to be in place for a bit and there is a desire to build consistency therein then you find the parts that best fit and can grow into consistently productive teams. Peyton is a salve, and would be more spinning of the wheels.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Papoose

Maybe we will get lucky and Manning will sign with the Dolphins, forcing Flynn to sign with the Browns who then don't draft RG3 because they just dumped money on a QB allowing RG3 to fall to us at 6....

But that would mean the Redskins had a shred of luck which we all know is not true...

Old 02-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
Personally, Peyton had an down year in '10 when his o-line broke down, he got little from his running game and his wr's were rotating in and out and coming to the Skins would be a similar situation. His knowledge and preparation would be awesome benefits but his limited mobility and diminishing arm (assuming it even returns to what it was) are negatives. This doesn't even factor it the increased injury potential, especially on a new team where his greatest asset, familiarity, is removed.

Not having to give up much to acquire him is a bonus, but adding him doesn't fix the position. It's a combination move.

That makes for good copy and is true to an extent but those guy succeed because the framework and system are in place when the arrive. Not the case shold he arrive in DC.

I don't think anyone here, or in general, is worried about Kyle's feelings. However, assuming the staff is going to be in place for a bit and there is a desire to build consistency therein then you find the parts that best fit and can grow into consistently productive teams. Peyton is a salve, and would be more spinning of the wheels.
They went 10-6 in 2010. I would kill to have a 10-6 season here and win the division.

Framework and system in Indy? Peyton MADE that system in Indy, lol. Did that system or framework help Orlovsky? Painter? Collins? That system is Peyton.

Signing Peyton and drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd is not doing anything to our franchise. RGIII and Luck will be gone by the 6th pick. We going to draft Tannehill @ 6? Doubt it. We would be drafting a QB there anyways.

IMO, there is not a QB after the top 2 that can start day one. Of course a Dalton or someone can always happen, but do you honestly think that that luck can happen here in DC? Do you have faith in our system to think that would happen here? I highly doubt it.

Get a Vet and groom your future behind him. Just like Brees did, just like Rodgers did. That's how it should be.

If we go out and sign Orton as our starter, I will be upset. He would put this franchise back. I would not have been opposed to it last offseason, but definitely not this year.

Last edited by smave : 02-06-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Chief

More Fuel to the fire. I Got a feeling the next 6 weeks are gonna be loaded with speculation!

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...gton-redskins/

Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it."
—Mark Twain

“If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, “Roll, Tide, Roll!”

Paul"Bear"Bryant

Old 02-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Ghost Dancer

We might want Peyton, but he won't want us.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGREDSKINSFAN1963 View Post
More Fuel to the fire. I Got a feeling the next 6 weeks are gonna be loaded with speculation!

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...gton-redskins/
Well if that's the case...the Skins have a lot of work to do because I'm not sure he can win with our o-line or receivers but then again what do I know