Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hR Archives and Help Desk > Archive Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keino View Post
His numbers will be right once he removes the language that they do not include the Sanction. Until then, his numbers are wrong, for at least 2 teams.
Lol, I'm not interested in bickering. My point was that his $16.4 looks accurate to me. My guess is that he got bad info from somebody and incorrectly thinks the $18 hasn't already been taken off. So you are right, he is incorrect if one were to subtract 18 more from that number.

But I'm of the opinion the number he listed for the Skins is probably pretty close to our current available cap space.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_junior View Post
I don't think we were ever near $40 million, but I agree a lot of the numbers seem fishy.

EDIT: If the Post about our starting number it should be:

30.5 - 18 = 12.5 + the exact savings of Sellers/Atogwe. So something in the $15-$17 million range seems like it should be right.
we were near 40 million. then we tagged fred davis, tendered lichtenstiger and gano, and resigned montgomery...

Old 03-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by flave1969 View Post
The more that comes out, the more goodel and the majority of owners look like school girls fighting over the new boy at school.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bear View Post
we were near 40 million. then we tagged fred davis, tendered lichtenstiger and gano, and resigned montgomery...
Yeah, I think the Post is saying we were $30.5 million under prior to the last two cuts (Atogwe/Sellers) and the penalty being imposed.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fent View Post
She was overturned on the Injunction on the issue of the likelihood of success on the merits, not the finding of harm. And this is a labor case, not a competitive balance case. It's quite clearly a case of the league taking efforts to artificially control player wages, a big violation of the NLRA. That's a case a TON of judges will take for the same reason the players had an advantage in MN last year. This is much like the Mackey case and all the rest of the salary cap cases that courts and arbitrators have consistently found against the various leagues.
Competitive balance is what the league will argue. Can we really win the argument that this is a labor case if the player's union is not on our side of the v? Seems like you know more than me about this.

It seems to me our best argument is in contract. The NFL is governed by a series of agreements among the teams, most notably the NFL Constitution and Bylaws and the CBA. If there's no authority of the league to take this action, and if it violated the terms of the CBA (which I believe is actually above the NFL's internal rules?), then the other teams breached our agreement.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Comanchero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_junior View Post
I don't think we were ever near $40 million, but I agree a lot of the numbers seem fishy.

EDIT: If the Post about our starting number it should be:

30.5 - 18 = 12.5 + the exact savings of Sellers/Atogwe. So something in the $15-$17 million range seems like it should be right.
My attempt at the #'s shows us at $21 million in cap room right now.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Warrior

Redskins approach free agency with $17M in salary cap space

Link http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...ary-cap-space/

Old 03-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinskins View Post
Competitive balance is what the league will argue. Can we really win the argument that this is a labor case if the player's union is not on our side of the v? Seems like you know more than me about this.

It seems to me our best argument is in contract. The NFL is governed by a series of agreements among the teams, most notably the NFL Constitution and Bylaws and the CBA. If there's no authority of the league to take this action, and if it violated the terms of the CBA (which I believe is actually above the NFL's internal rules?), then the other teams breached our agreement.
That first part is what I don'tknow. I'm not sure if a member of the "multi-employer bargaining unit" can cry foul against the other members. If they have to have the players, they're potentially screwed. As for the priority of documents is concerned, you're correct. The CBA trumps all. And amending the CBA to allow for this change to the cap would seem to require a vote of the owners just like any other change. That may be our best argument. The other hard part is getting into court. If the arbitration clause isn't superseded by the NLRA, then we're stuck with the commish as judge, jury, and executioner.

Last edited by fent : 03-13-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fent View Post
The more that comes out, the more goodel and the majority of owners look like school girls fighting over the new boy at school.
Lots of sportswriters are coming out on the side of the Skins - how often does that happen? Yes, Goodell doesn't like to bow to pressure, but he should really think twice. No one seems to be buying this crap and if he really cares about the reputation of the league, he should reverse this terrible decision.

If I were Allen, I'd be calling a lot of reporters and offering background information about what is going on here.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMDeMuth View Post
I hope you're right.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:40 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinskins View Post
Lots of sportswriters are coming out on the side of the Skins - how often does that happen? Yes, Goodell doesn't like to bow to pressure, but he should really think twice. No one seems to be buying this crap and if he really cares about the reputation of the league, he should reverse this terrible decision.
It definitely helps that public opinion seems for the most part to be with the Skins and Cowboys. The NFL cares about nothing more than its image - "The Shield" - and the league can't be happy this punishment has led to many in the sports community using words like "collusion."

Old 03-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMDeMuth View Post
it doesnt account for lictenstigers or ganos tenders, or the montgomery resigning...

Old 03-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Comanchero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bear View Post
it doesnt account for lictenstigers or ganos tenders, or the montgomery resigning...
$98.456 mil was the skins cap situation (with adjusted franchise tag # for Davis) before Atogwe/Sellers cuts. $98.456 mil - $4.445 mil savings from those 2 = $94.011 mil in salary.

They include them here, where i borrowed the base #'s Adjusted the 5.4 mil place holder for the franchise tag on Davis, since there is a cap and an actual # now.

It should be $94 mil at the moment.

(again, credit to CPND / PC for the #'s)

Last edited by KMDeMuth : 03-13-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Shaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail2skins View Post
I think that bold part means nothing since there was a reallocation. The other owners are just pissed they weren't smart enough to take advantage of the situation. There was never going to be a reallocation for reasons specificied in the link.
I would gander that they were plenty smart enough to do this, they are just too damn cheap.

The really annoying factor is the lack of fairness in the penalty. Other teams did a variation of this and werent' penalized. We get double penalized since they handed our cap space out.
In terms of benefits, 2 teams get punished the most and two teams benefit the most the F*(&U(*&(* Giants and Eagles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flave1969 View Post
Most media folk believe this whole thing is a complete stitch up. I hope we go to litigation because win or lose, I suspect there is going to be a lot of mud that sticks to a wide variety of people.
Completely agree. I would think the NFL would be shaking in their boots about this playing out in public courts. I still want to know whether there is an arbitration clause that would settle this behind closed doors or if this is something that would go to the courts?

Old 03-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspring View Post
I would gander that they were plenty smart enough to do this, they are just too damn cheap.

The really annoying factor is the lack of fairness in the penalty. Other teams did a variation of this and werent' penalized. We get double penalized since they handed our cap space out.
In terms of benefits, 2 teams get punished the most and two teams benefit the most the F*(&U(*&(* Giants and Eagles.

Completely agree. I would think the NFL would be shaking in their boots about this playing out in public courts. I still want to know whether there is an arbitration clause that would settle this behind closed doors or if this is something that would go to the courts?

i think if Snyder vigorously challenges this crap in court, anything that allows the league to save face would be quietly accepted