Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hR General Discussion Forums > Apache Off Topic Tribe

Old 03-19-2012, 04:58 PM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death_Venom View Post
I think that is the better strategy so you (as a writer) are not tied down in terms of what you can or cannot do.....
That, and what's the point of watching a show you already know the ending to?

Old 03-19-2012, 06:38 PM
Warrior

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by guess88 View Post
That, and what's the point of watching a show you already know the ending to?
Exactly my point...

Old 03-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Chief

I agree with Akh that the show is unique and different enough (in a good way), but not so offensive to the source material. They're taking the comics as a sort of loose story frame, and trying to make it their own.

One of the things about Michonne and the walkers is that she is badass enough to walk freely among them. The walkers she has chained to her allow her to walk through a herd even without being detected. Similar to how Glenn and Rick covered themselves in zombie guts.

I just hope they don't decide to cram too much into season 3. The producers of the show have to walk that fine line knowing that they can't rush everything in, but also have to watch out for declining viewership. You have the prison, The Governor (which is one of the best villains ever), Tyreese, and Michonne. I think they're introducing them all, in one shape or form, in season 3 but I do not want them overloading the viewer.

Just a little bits of information from Kirkman that you can dig up around the net. The zombie to human ratio is around 5000 to 1. He's stated this is a rough estimate, and gives you a sense of how despair life is. He also wrote that no zombie movie, book, or even the word "zombie" was created in his world. As far as what created the virus, Kirkman has said he has an idea, but he really doesn't care about it. He wants people to think of the here and now. There will be little to no overhead picture of the world, but he will give hints or clues in the comics. He just wanted everyone immersed with these people on their journey to survive in this new world.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolla Bill View Post
Just a little bits of information from Kirkman that you can dig up around the net. The zombie to human ratio is around 5000 to 1. He's stated this is a rough estimate, and gives you a sense of how despair life is. He also wrote that no zombie movie, book, or even the word "zombie" was created in his world. As far as what created the virus, Kirkman has said he has an idea, but he really doesn't care about it. He wants people to think of the here and now. There will be little to no overhead picture of the world, but he will give hints or clues in the comics. He just wanted everyone immersed with these people on their journey to survive in this new world.
I really love this touch. There's no prior concept of "zombie" in the storyline, therefore nothing to inform or persuade how to deal with the situation besides what's currently going on. In the Talking Dead, he mentioned doing this because he didn't want the opportunity for any characters to reference prior zombie flicks, or pop culture as it would cheese the storyline. I agree and am thankful he took this approach.

I bet the virus was man made.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Medicine Man

Quote:
I really love this touch. There's no prior concept of "zombie" in the storyline, therefore nothing to inform or persuade how to deal with the situation besides what's currently going on. In the Talking Dead, he mentioned doing this because he didn't want the opportunity for any characters to reference prior zombie flicks, or pop culture as it would cheese the storyline. I agree and am thankful he took this approach.

I bet the virus was man made.

Yeah by Vinny Cerrato...about the time when i "walked" as a Redskins fan...before that i remember being human

Old 03-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Chief Moderator

Regarding the prison...wouldn't it be bad a$$ if the Rick and the team broke inside only to find the cast of HBO's Oz inside? Think of the possibilities...

Old 03-20-2012, 10:20 AM
hR Staff Writer

just watched last night. I never read the comic but having to wait till October may make me do so. I am more then a little worried that the introduction of Michonne, the prison, and the governor could make the series seem campy, What I love about the series is how real it is. And the fact that we finally heard what the cdc guy said about everyone being infected makes more sense to me now.

http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/...light=shanahan

Old 03-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYSkinFan View Post
just watched last night. I never read the comic but having to wait till October may make me do so. I am more then a little worried that the introduction of Michonne, the prison, and the governor could make the series seem campy, What I love about the series is how real it is. And the fact that we finally heard what the cdc guy said about everyone being infected makes more sense to me now.

Yeah, Glenn riding shotgun with a shottie hitting nothing but headshots is the very definition of realism.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:43 PM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYSkinFan View Post
I share your concerns. I think we'll really begin to notice Frank Darabonts departure in season 3. He did a lot in setting up the foundation of the show, and the tone of how it's shot and told. I loved the last episode, but what really irked me was the seemingly unlimited rounds Hershel had in his shotgun. I only counted one reload, unless he's the fastest loader in the East.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCampbell View Post
Yeah, Glenn riding shotgun with a shottie hitting nothing but headshots is the very definition of realism.

I give that more credit that Carl getting a headshot on a zombie from about 20' away with a pistol. What was that.. his 3rd time ever holding a gun?

Old 03-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Chief Moderator

You guys are arguing about realism for a show taking place on earth with a 5,000-1, Zombie to Human ratio? lol

Old 03-20-2012, 04:03 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_stouty View Post
You guys are arguing about realism for a show taking place on earth with a 5,000-1, Zombie to Human ratio? lol
laugh now but when the zombie apocalypse comes I will be the most prepared...

Maybe I should say A "sense of reality". to me this is the most real zombie movie, series I have ever seen. All the others tend to focus on weird cures and/or self sonscious parody (shaun of the dead was the best of that)

http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/...light=shanahan

Old 03-20-2012, 05:39 PM
Comanchero

I'm in quite a pickle. On one hand, I want to know about all these upcoming possibilities (Prison, Michon, The Governor?), but in the other hand, I dont want to know too much.

Of course I didnt wait until Christmas morning to open a present my whole life so my patience (lack of) plus the wait until October..... tells me I'll probably be an expert by then.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweepea436 View Post
I'm in quite a pickle. On one hand, I want to know about all these upcoming possibilities (Prison, Michon, The Governor?), but in the other hand, I dont want to know too much.

Of course I didnt wait until Christmas morning to open a present my whole life so my patience (lack of) plus the wait until October..... tells me I'll probably be an expert by then.

Look at it this way, since the comic book has its own storyline, you can read up on that for your fix. Plenty of issues. Another great zombie read is "Origin to Exile" by J.L. Bourne. Recommended by someone on this board (forgot who, sorry!) and I couldn't put it down.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:26 AM
Comanchero

Quote:
Look at it this way, since the comic book has its own storyline, you can read up on that for your fix. Plenty of issues. Another great zombie read is "Origin to Exile" by J.L. Bourne. Recommended by someone on this board (forgot who, sorry!) and I couldn't put it down.
I may have to do that. Thanks for the recommendations!