Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 04-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Shaman

I would love this article to be right, but I think it is the worst thing possible for the Redskins to receive pre-season hype about being a legitimate sleeper. If this team has any chance of grabbing a playoff spot, it would have to sneak up on a bunch of teams.

While the article had some good points (Orakpo, Kerrigan, Davis, break in the schedule), it failed to even mention some obvious trouble areas.

1. Is the Oline good enough?

2. There seems to be a gaping hole at safety.

3. Who will man the ILB spots?

4. Will Gano (the worst percentage kicker in the NFL the last two seasons) improve?

5. No matter how great a resume the incoming QB has, he will still be a rookie.

While the Giants, Eagles and Cowboys all have some deficiencies as well, I think one would have to be a fool not to consider all three to be better than the Redskins going into the season.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Sachem

First of all the title "Legitimate Sleeper" is an oxymoron. You can be legit or you can be a sleeper- not both.

Secondly, the author meant to say "won by inches" not "one by inches".

Third, in the last paragraph, the author obviously doesn't know what a split infinitive is and doesn't know the difference between "then" and "than", but that's beside the point.

How the heck can bringing BACK Fletcher "assuage some of the loss felt from losing their other safety: O.J. Atogwe"? Assuage means to make an unpleasant feeling less intense. Atogwe started 8 games then got benched and wasn't wanted back. What was unpleasant about that loss? And what in the world does it have to do with NOT losing our most productive tackler?

In reality, I'm pretty sure he just wanted to use the word "assuage" to assuage his feelings of a lack of sagaciousness (see how smart I am- how I just slipped that big word in that phrase there when I could have just said, "to assuage his own stupidity").

Old 04-10-2012, 07:14 AM
Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsMaViSd View Post
I don't agree with your argument. He has more talent and has produced more in his career than any safety on this roster and you can stretch to any player in this secondary, period. Hell, besides Fletcher (who isn't on the roster currently) you can probably say more than anyone on the defensive side of the ball. Kerrigan can be an exception because he just came into the league.
More than any safety on this roster isnt saying anything. Thats like arguing that a Rep candidate (pick one) is better than the other (choose a reason). They all suck. He seems dumb as a rock in interviews and I hope he is at the very most, depth at SS behind Gomes.

Didnt he do some brutal things in that fight between Miami and the small college team? Hasnt he been arrested a few times for bar fights (and accused of SHOOTING two people)?

Old 04-10-2012, 07:32 AM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by culpeper View Post
More than any safety on this roster isnt saying anything. Thats like arguing that a Rep candidate (pick one) is better than the other (choose a reason). They all suck. He seems dumb as a rock in interviews and I hope he is at the very most, depth at SS behind Gomes.

Didnt he do some brutal things in that fight between Miami and the small college team? Hasnt he been arrested a few times for bar fights (and accused of SHOOTING two people)?
So, you really think that the IQ of a football player means something?

I'm sorry, but the guy doesn't need to know his ABC's. I could care less, as long as he can play football. I am a fan of a team that is on the football field, not a fan of what bar, drink, or church the player does or goes too.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:35 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:

He was the player using his helmet as a weapon in the Miami/FIU ight.

Quote:

I'm sorry, but the guy doesn't need to know his ABC's. I could care less, as long as he can play football. I am a fan of a team that is on the football field, not a fan of what bar, drink, or church the player does or goes too.
This is also a problem for Meriweather. He'll be better then The Witness, but thats a low bar to clear. And I wouldn't expect much from him.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post

This is also a problem for Meriweather. He'll be better then The Witness, but thats a low bar to clear. And I wouldn't expect much from him.
Well, his resume is better than anyone else we've had back there in a while. Hopefully something can come out of this. And as you've stated before, anything that takes playing time from the Doughty is a positive for me.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:55 AM
Sentinel

Quote:

ABSOLUTELY!!!

They didnt ask him his ABC's so I dont know about that.

I do know that he can barely speak the english language, hes slow to respond to easy questions (might not process information quickly), and a safety NEEDS to be able to read an offense, prepare his guys up front, AND be athletic enough to make the play. Meriweather may be athletic enough, but the rest is suspect. #benchedinChicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
Solid individual. Ok, Im officially passing on this. It was a fight, things get crazy in the moment.

Quote:
Best case scenario is Gomes beats him out and either Barnes or Griffin plays FS.

Last edited by culpeper : 04-10-2012 at 08:10 AM.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Healer

Quote:
ABSOLUTELY!!!

They didnt ask him his ABC's so I dont know about that.

I do know that he can barely speak the english language, hes slow to respond to easy questions (might not process information quickly), and a safety NEEDS to be able to read an offense, prepare his guys up front, AND be athletic enough to make the play. Meriweather may be athletic enough, but the rest is suspect. #benchedinChicago

Solid individual. Ok, Im officially passing on this. It was a fight, things get crazy in the moment.

Best case scenario is Gomes beats him out and either Barnes or Griffin plays FS.
All you need is football knowledge...You think that he is the only one that speaks like that in the league? lol.

Ever heard Carlos Rogers talk? Landry?

Old 04-10-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
All you need is football knowledge...You think that he is the only one that speaks like that in the league? lol.

Dexter Manley couldn't even read!
Just so I don't forget, I intend to remind the above poster about this quote.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keino View Post
haha. Perfect example.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Sentinel

Quote:

Carlos suffered from a southern draw, not stupidity. Both he and Landry could talk back and forth in an interview (whether it was decipherable or not). There is NOTHING going on behind Meriweathers eyes. Hes a box of rocks. Other teams have guys like that, I get it, but I dont want him on mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keino
He was at a reactionary position. I did not see him play, but Id bet the house they didnt ask him to do much other than find the ball/attack the QB.

Corners can even get away with less brains in the right defenses (typically man to man where they're not asked to do a lot more than cover). Safety's typically need to be able to read first then react regardless of the defense. Meriweather was MISERABLE in the tampa cover 2 last year. Maybe if we ask him to attack the LOS more he can be ok, but "hes a donk"

Old 04-10-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:

He was at a reactionary position. I did not see him play, but Id bet the house they didnt ask him to do much other than find the ball/attack the QB.

Corners can even get away with less brains in the right defenses (typically man to man where they're not asked to do a lot more than cover). Safety's typically need to be able to read first then react regardless of the defense. Meriweather was MISERABLE in the tampa cover 2 last year. Maybe if we ask him to attack the LOS more he can be ok, but "hes a donk"
I am not sure I agree with you. None of the positions described above require incredible intellect. They each require instincts and techniques to play the position. Even if Dexter was asked to attack, he still had read/react responsibilities and outside containment responsibilities. Being able to read an offense is not the same as reading Pride and Prejudice and diagnosing a play is the result of film study and understanding your defensive concepts more than it is about solving quadratic equations. Read and react is about instincts, knowing your keys and coaching.

The Tampa 2 takes most safeties a year or two in that system to be comfortable.
Just so I don't forget, I intend to remind the above poster about this quote.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Healer

Quote:
I am not sure I agree with you. None of the positions described above require incredible intellect. They each require instincts and techniques to play the position. Even if Dexter was asked to attack, he still had read/react responsibilities and outside containment responsibilities. Being able to read an offense is not the same as reading Pride and Prejudice and diagnosing a play is the result of film study and understanding your defensive concepts more than it is about solving quadratic equations. Read and react is about instincts, knowing your keys and coaching.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Sentinel

Quote:

Tampa 2 is not hard for anyone with a brain to learn, Im sorry. Zone is an easy concept, you just need to be able to adjust to what the offense is doing. And if your argument is its all instinct and no brains needed...him failing in Chicago disproves your theory. If hes a "J.Trotter" type and only excels when hes asked to attack the LOS, then I hope we let him do that so he's effective. I have my doubts if there are other responsibilities.

Reading an offense, getting yourself AND your teammates in the proper position (likely the MLB and S jobs) requires SOME ability to process information and communicate it to your teammates. I never said that player needs to be a A+ student. In fact, most of those guys have problems in the NFL too (not sure why though).

Where do you stand on Meriweather then? All Ive seen is you're just glad its not Doughty (which I can get behind for sure). I dont agree that hes a better option than Gomes.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Healer

Quote:
Tampa 2 is not hard for anyone with a brain to learn, Im sorry. Zone is an easy concept, you just need to be able to adjust to what the offense is doing. And if your argument is its all instinct and no brains needed...him failing in Chicago disproves your theory. If hes a "J.Trotter" type and only excels when hes asked to attack the LOS, then I hope we let him do that so he's effective. I have my doubts if there are other responsibilities.

Reading an offense, getting yourself AND your teammates in the proper position (likely the MLB and S jobs) requires SOME ability to process information and communicate it to your teammates. I never said that player needs to be a A+ student. In fact, most of those guys have problems in the NFL too (not sure why though).

Where do you stand on Meriweather then? All Ive seen is you're just glad its not Doughty (which I can get behind for sure). I dont agree that hes a better option than Gomes.
Agreed. The Tampa 2 is about as easy as it gets for a safety; split the field and keep everything in front of you. I'll give Merriweather some benefit of the doubt since it was new to him but more to the point it's not a D that fits his strengths. Fortunately, the Skins 3-4 does fit him better, as it'll allow him to play in more of an attacking role in blitzes and short area run/pass support. He's a hitter and that'll work to his advantage here.

I'm more concerned with the FS spot as that's the one that needs to have a complete understanding of what the offense is doing and working with his guys to get them slotted right (and cover when Hall whiffs).

I'm cautiously optimistic that Merriweather will be better than his recent reputation has let on, but I think the secondary as a whole is rather patchwork at this point (Wilson aside).