Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

View Poll Results: Who will Start in Game 1 - Regular Season? QB Discussion
RGIII Starts - Jump in the waters fine! 56 77.78%
Rex Starts - Grossman continues to see if he can stay in bottom 5 QB in NFL. 6 8.33%
RGIII starts - Rex is gone. Cousins was a smoke screen to dump Rex 6 8.33%
RGIII starts. Cousins - smoke screen to keep Rex 2 2.78%
Whoever does better in the Pre-Season. Meritocracy. 2 2.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2012, 06:27 AM

Barring injury, it should be Griffin or the coaching staff should be replaced immediately. You don't spend THAT much on a guy to let him watch & learn. That is Cousins' job.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Spirit

I'd like us to get rid of Rex. I don't care about his experience - it didn't help him last year and I don't see him improving this season. He's not a good backup and there just aren't any good QB backups out there.

Play RGIII the first half and Cousins the second half of the first 3 PS games, then 2 sets with Robert and the rest with Cousins.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by colkurtz View Post
I'd like us to get rid of Rex. I don't care about his experience - it didn't help him last year and I don't see him improving this season. He's not a good backup and there just aren't any good QB backups out there.
You are contradicting yourself. Rex is not a good backup, but there is no good veteran backup option out there? Which means Rex is a reasonable backup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colkurtz View Post
Play RGIII the first half and Cousins the second half of the first 3 PS games, then 2 sets with Robert and the rest with Cousins.
It is not happening. You acted like Cousins is the best backup in the league. He is not ready. My guess is he will play a quarter each the 1st 2 preseason games, that's it.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:10 AM
Code Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribeinca View Post
It is not happening. You acted like Cousins is the best backup in the league. He is not ready. My guess is he will play a quarter each the 1st 2 preseason games, that's it.
How about the scenario of:

to fully evaluate Cousins he needs to play with the 1st stringers. Any team that wants to trade for him, would want to see him go against 1st stringers not 3 stringers.

That is why he is starting Preseason Game #2 and RG3 can start game #1 and dress rehersal game #3.

In Loving Memory, Natalie Paige Ezeanya
7.6.1991-1.2.2008

God watch over you and your loved ones. i think it is a wonderful thing that you do to honor your baby's memory. thank you for allowing me to share a little bit of love for her as well.
-Anonymous

Old 05-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith1790 View Post
to fully evaluate Cousins he needs to play with the 1st stringers. Any team that wants to trade for him, would want to see him go against 1st stringers not 3 stringers.
After he threw for 50 yards and 2 interceptions, what are you going to do?

Old 05-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
After he threw for 50 yards and 2 interceptions, what are you going to do?
The same thing you do if he threw for 250 yards and 3 touchdowns. Sit him on the bench.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_junior View Post
The same thing you do if he threw for 250 yards and 3 touchdowns. Sit him on the bench.
You are missing the question. Somone suggested to showcase a project QB before he is remotely ready to entertain trade offers. It's a recipe for failure.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
You are missing the question. Somone suggested to showcase a project QB before he is remotely ready to entertain trade offers. It's a recipe for failure.
Gotcha.

But nobody thinks the only reason they drafted him was to showcase him. If it works out that way, fine. If not, you still have the potential for an inexpensive back-up for the next 3-4 seasons

Old 05-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_junior View Post
Gotcha.

But nobody thinks the only reason they drafted him was to showcase him. If it works out that way, fine. If not, you still have the potential for an inexpensive back-up for the next 3-4 seasons
Good point. And, the fact is that unless Cousins turns out to be the next Tom Brady, and we know that before the regular season starts, we aren't going to be able to move him this year, or probably even the next. If he develops into a good quarterback over 2-3 years then we can trade him, but I don't see this being a quick flip. We should still try to evaluate him during preseason. That's what preseason is for.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinskins View Post
Good point. And, the fact is that unless Cousins turns out to be the next Tom Brady, and we know that before the regular season starts, we aren't going to be able to move him this year, or probably even the next. If he develops into a good quarterback over 2-3 years then we can trade him, but I don't see this being a quick flip. We should still try to evaluate him during preseason. That's what preseason is for.
Exactly. First and foremost this was a -- "Holy S@$@! How is this guy still around?" -- pick. So you take the guy and figure that if he's as good as you think he is, you can turn a fourth round pick into much more. At some point.

I can't imagine anybody in that room was talking about flipping the player during his rookie year.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:55 AM
Buck

I'm "meh" with this pick. I suppose it's a good "value" pick, but I'd much prefer if we'd used that pick on a position of need(OL/ILB/CB).

Personally, it's sad for him that he couldn't have been taken by a team where he'd actually get a chance to show what he can do, some team with an aging vet starter(Denver?).

Guess, I'm thinking more from the player's perspective. I know I'd be pretty disappointed if I were picked by a team that just gave up a boatload of picks to draft a QB at #2, knowing that I honestly, bottom line, didn't really have a legitimate shot at competing for the starting role. "We wanna draft you so we can hopefully trade you for another pick in a couple years"...Gee...thanks Coach!

"Card-carrying Member of the HailRedskins Old Farts Club"

Old 05-04-2012, 06:23 AM
Spirit

I think it's RG3, but I wouldn't make a decision yet, personally. My concern mostly hinges on whether or not Griff is thinking at NFL speed by week one. If so, play him. If not, thinking slow will get him hurt and he's not that big of a guy. As long he can get the ball out on time, I'd play him. But we won't know that until preseason. Until then, I'd give him all the first team reps in practice and preseason. The rookie contracts don't force us to play him as quickly, so it will just depend on where he is come september.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane88 View Post
I'm "meh" with this pick. I suppose it's a good "value" pick, but I'd much prefer if we'd used that pick on a position of need(OL/ILB/CB).

Personally, it's sad for him that he couldn't have been taken by a team where he'd actually get a chance to show what he can do, some team with an aging vet starter(Denver?).

Guess, I'm thinking more from the player's perspective. I know I'd be pretty disappointed if I were picked by a team that just gave up a boatload of picks to draft a QB at #2, knowing that I honestly, bottom line, didn't really have a legitimate shot at competing for the starting role. "We wanna draft you so we can hopefully trade you for another pick in a couple years"...Gee...thanks Coach!
I would argue that QB2 was a position of need for the Skins. It's extremely difficult to find a quality backup in free-agency. The last 2 seasons should be all the proof anyone needs of that. The Raiders gave away the farm for the corpse of Carson Palmer (not sure who trade-marked that term, but I owe you) because they had nothing behind Campbell. The Bears went from being contenders for the NFC North, to watching the NFL ticket in January after Cutler went down. The Skins tried starting 2 mediocre back-ups last season with disasterous results.

In every scenario, Cousins was destined to ride the pine this year, and probably next year. Had he ended up in Denver, he probably sits for 4 years. (I think Peyton is going to be around a while. I could be extremely wrong, but barring re-injury, you don't pay him what Denver paid him for just 1-2 years of productivity.)

Being drafted by the Skins didn't change any of that. If he's as good as some people think he is, he'll have an opportunity to beat out Grossman in his second year, and maybe garner some attention from other teams in years 3 and 4. If he can't beat out Grossman in year 2, then the Skins wasted a 4th round pick on another version of Beck.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Ghost Dancer

I know this is just day one of the Rookie camp, but this brief film clip shows to me a clear differentiation in the mobility of RGIII vs. Kirk Cousins. Kirks legs look much heavier during a passing & footwork drill compared to RGIII.:

http://www.redskins.com/media-galler...9-a7f2f45dc1ed

Old 05-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSkin View Post
I know this is just day one of the Rookie camp, but this brief film clip shows to me a clear differentiation in the mobility of RGIII vs. Kirk Cousins. Kirks legs look much heavier during a passing & footwork drill compared to RGIII.:

http://www.redskins.com/media-galler...9-a7f2f45dc1ed
I noticed the same thing when I saw it. Athleticism isn't everything, but you can see pretty clearly why Robert is a premium prospect and why there won't be any QB controversy despite ESPN's deep desire to see one.