Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 04-30-2012, 08:20 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamaMike View Post
Cal, How many QBs were drafted before T J Yates at Houston last year?
Eighth quarterbacks drafted recently:

'11 Stanzi
'10 Rusty Smith
'09 Tom Brandstater
'08 Josh Johnson
'07 Jeff Rowe
'06 Ingle Martin
'05 Stefan Lefors
'04 Andy Hall
'03 Brian St. Pierre
'02 Kurt Kittner

Even Tom Brady was the seventh QB taken in '00 - The eighth that year was Todd Husak, selected three picks later by . . .

Last edited by cal_junior : 04-30-2012 at 08:22 AM.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaggsrules View Post
Was it a grades thing, or a credits thing? A basketball player at my school was declared academically ineligible for the fall semester this past year, though his GPA was over the minimum by a decent margin. His schedule was poorly planned, and his credits were not in-line with the academic calendar within his major, and was deemed ineligible until the credits were corrected.
According to the SportsBog (and presumably LeRibeus himself), it was a credit snafu in switching majors rather than a lack of academic success. As for the ballooning weight - it came when he could not work out with the football team. This certainly speaks to his immaturity, but we can only hope it served as a powerful lesson from which he has learned.

"But don’t worry. He promises it won’t happen again. The problem began when he changed his major and a lack of credits made him ineligible to play. He spent 2010 away from the football field — and the gym. He found himself 70 pounds above his playing weight of 310."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...wrqT_blog.html

Old 05-01-2012, 07:07 AM
Sentinel

LOVE the Minnifield signing. http://espncleveland.com/common/more...7&post_id=1022

I hope he works out here, he has top round talent. Im skeptical of whether the microfracture surgery is weight bearing or not.

Shally can you weigh in on this? Do they do Microfracture surgery for non-weightbearing injuries? And what non weight bearing areas would they elect to do this? Certainly not the tib-fib articulation or anything to do with the patella?

Everything else is weight bearing...

Old 05-02-2012, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSMKF View Post
Here is a opinion I just read on the Kirk Cousin pick.....He makes a good case on the pick.

"Why draft a QB 3 round later…Oh I dunno, because you need to revamp the entire QB unit and the only people Grossman and Beck scare are their own teammates and coaches? Nah….crazy crazy stuff!

If Griffin is emotionally wounded by this and needs to have his hand held (your assertion not based on any evidence whatsoever) then that makes the Cousins pick all the better. Either way they are upgrading from Grossman and Beck and no one sensible with a pulse would argue that they haven’t upgraded significantly in the process even with 2 rookies."
That is exactly how I feel. If they like the player, i love the notion if taking two QBs.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Runner

Gotta say - hated the pick initially, but the more time I have to mull over it, the more I respect it. Forget about Rex Grossman for a second. We all know he is more than likely going to be gone after this season. Throw him out of the mix - pretend he gets injured in the preseason and is out for the year. Unless we go out and sign another journeyman who doesn't even know the playbook, what are we left with? At the very least, we've now got two quarterbacks who are going to (hopefully) come in and bust their butts to internalize the Shannaclan's system. We are still in building mode, why not build with two young and very good QBs? Cousins is a proven winner - arguably Michigan State's best quarterback of all time. The kid apparently has great leadership skills, and is a true team player. We've got insurance, now - and anybody calling out a qb controversy when RG3 knows what we surrendered to get him is kidding themselves.

The RG3 pick doesn't automatically put us into playoff mode this season - building a team - an ENTIRE team - sets us up for success in the future. I would take Cousins over Grossman last year if we could have magically plugged him into that starting role. Why not have a really good QB as a backup and let him marinate, developing over time? Suggesting that getting a QB who many thought would go in the 2nd round with a 4th round pick seems like a great value addition to me.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Shaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
Link

Guff on!

I pretty much agree that this draft will rise or fall with RG.

Still, two other picks were very disappointing:

1. The Josh LeRibeus selection in round 3 looks like a significant "reach". The two Olinemen (Gettis and Compton) selected later than him look to be better prospects. Ourlads has JL rated as a 7th rounder.

2. I am less charitable to Shanahan than you about the RB pick Alfred Morris. He looks to be too slow (4.76) for RB and too small (5-9, 203) to be a FB. Seems like a totally wasted pick.

As for Cousins, I was initially very upset with that selection. But, if he is as good as Shanahan thinks he is, he should provide cheap insurance at QB and allow the team to sever ties with Rex after this season. And, if Cousins proves to be good enough to attract a decent trade offer down the road, that would be an added bonus.

I think Minnifield is a terrific FA signing. I am shocked that he went undrafted. That he chose to sign here shows that he is smart too--he has a very good shot at making the roster.

Bs
Old 05-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Healer

Default Bs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
To begin with after sleeping on it for a night these are my thoughts...

You are absolutely correct- when it come down to it, this is a 1 person draft..if RGIII is the qb we hope he can be, little else matters ultimately.. if he isnt, little else will save this draft from being a calamity because of how much we gave up to get him

that said, having a draft that ALSO produces additional back ups, special teamers and players who could possibly grow into starters is what separates teams.

the only pick i really question here is the 3rd rounder..why would we take an immature player like LiRibeus when there were any number of players who had better grades coming out of college ? about the only think I can say is that Shanahan had this kid up close for a week at Senior Bowl and there had to be something he saw that made the pick compelling.. he has a pretty good record with lineman, so he gets the benefit of the doubt because i think he knew exactly what he was looking for.. did they have a plan "A" that came off the board earlier ? I kind of dont think so because they could have traded back again at that point and didnt.. so for now, let's hope that he grows into a replacement for Lichtensteiger quickly

I personally LOVE the Cousins pick. This was a QB that Shanahan saw for a week and he said that he was too good a talent to pass on.
When you are talking about 4th rounders, there are no guarantees. you are looking for the BPA and hoping it fits an area of need.. If he was head and shoulders the best player, you take him.

Was he an area of need ? are you kidding me ?? anything that pushes Beck immediately off the roster, and will push Rex off in a year is a primary area of need.
I dont think that Shanahan even took him for the purpose of flipping him. this is a "Gary Kubiak" type of move.. Get a long term guarantee of a player who can come in if RGIII gets hurt.. QB's go down constantly, it is a fact of life in the NFL.. Where would Houston have been without Yates last year ?
Especially since Leinart went down right before him.. If eventually, someone offers a kings ransome for Cousins, then can think about it then, but for now, this is a move to protect the team against injury to RGIII

What about RGIII's ego, or looking over his shoulder ? That is crap..If he is the player we think he is, no problem.. The problem with the Shuler/Gus comparison is that the REAL problem was that Shuler was a bust, not that Gus pushed him.. RGIII looks to be the real deal.. if he is, again, no problems

From there on, the rest of the guys in the draft are all developmental players.. that is all you can ask for.. some will make it, some wont.. the fact that there were better known players out there when we picked only means that some guys had better press clipping or PR machines where they went to school..some people here know a lot more about this stuff than I do.. but even the pros fail over 50 % of the time at this level of the draft when it comes down to evelavuating players, so I would tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.. my guess would be that most, if not all, of these picks make it to the PS, and just like last year, they are gradually brought up to the parent roster as the year unfolds.. that is all you can ask-- except that nearly all of us felt that Shanahan HAD to address the O line, and that is EXACTLY what he did.. were they the players we would have picked ? probably not, but a draft with 3 OL players is a wonder for most of us around here
++1 with a note. When asked about the Cousin's pick Casserly said that Joe Gibbs rated the starting QB the nost important player on the team. When asked who Charley thought was the 2nd most important, Joe said the backup QB. Now think - when Doug Williams won the sb as qb, at season's start and through I think 7-8 games Schroeder was the starter. Gibbs won 3 SBs with 3 different QBs, and Williams was th b/u while Rypien was a 6-7 draft choice. Gibbs put his money where his mouth is, and he is still Saint Joe to me.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:49 AM
Code Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanburgerBum View Post
I pretty much agree that this draft will rise or fall with RG.

Still, two other picks were very disappointing:

1. The Josh LeRibeus selection in round 3 looks like a significant "reach". The two Olinemen (Gettis and Compton) selected later than him look to be better prospects. Ourlads has JL rated as a 7th rounder.

2. I am less charitable to Shanahan than you about the RB pick Alfred Morris. He looks to be too slow (4.76) for RB and too small (5-9, 203) to be a FB. Seems like a totally wasted pick.

As for Cousins, I was initially very upset with that selection. But, if he is as good as Shanahan thinks he is, he should provide cheap insurance at QB and allow the team to sever ties with Rex after this season. And, if Cousins proves to be good enough to attract a decent trade offer down the road, that would be an added bonus.

I think Minnifield is a terrific FA signing. I am shocked that he went undrafted. That he chose to sign here shows that he is smart too--he has a very good shot at making the roster.
You have your stats a little off on Alfred Morris. He's stil short and slow but he measured 5'9" and 7/8 so basically he's five foot ten. Ran 4.67. Weighs 219 lbs.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Code Talker

If a back up QB is going to hurt Griffin's feelings or impede his growth then he won't make it as the superstart QB we expect him to be. And the only place right now where any of this is an issue is in the world of football punditry. They've run out of things to talk about so why not pursue a narrative that the Skins first round pick will be a bust or might be a bust. This is what you get when people write op-eds from their toilet seat.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorimike View Post
If a back up QB is going to hurt Griffin's feelings or impede his growth then he won't make it as the superstart QB we expect him to be. And the only place right now where any of this is an issue is in the world of football punditry. They've run out of things to talk about so why not pursue a narrative that the Skins first round pick will be a bust or might be a bust. This is what you get when people write op-eds from their toilet seat.
Griffin is not looking in the rear view mirror at all. He knows he needs to learn the playbook, terminology and execute to Shanny's expectations fast. With each passing day, he is going to continue to earn trust and be given more responsibility. The faster he shows he can master the basics, the faster they can "fine tune" their game plan to best exploit his talents.

I have never been more confident about the prospects for RGIII's success. That said, I have some very tasty crow recipes I can share.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Shaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorimike View Post
You have your stats a little off on Alfred Morris. He's stil short and slow but he measured 5'9" and 7/8 so basically he's five foot ten. Ran 4.67. Weighs 219 lbs.

I admit that I know nothing about Alfred Morris other than what I read in Ourlads.

In the Ourlads 2012 Draft Guide, Morris is not even listed under "running backs". Instead, he is listed as a "fullback". He is so lightly-regarded by Ourlads that he didn't even rate a write-up. He was given a grade of 3.49, which translates to a "priority free agent".

Morris is listed in Ourlads with a height of 5097, a weight of 203 and a 40 time of 4.76. So, you appear to be correct that Morris is nearly 5-10. Whether Ourlads got the other two stats wrong, I have no way of knowing. Where did you get your info in this regard?

Old 05-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
I admit that I know nothing about Alfred Morris other than what I read in Ourlads.

In the Ourlads 2012 Draft Guide, Morris is not even listed under "running backs". Instead, he is listed as a "fullback". He is so lightly-regarded by Ourlads that he didn't even rate a write-up. He was given a grade of 3.49, which translates to a "priority free agent".

Morris is listed in Ourlads with a height of 5097, a weight of 203 and a 40 time of 4.76. So, you appear to be correct that Morris is nearly 5-10. Whether Ourlads got the other two stats wrong, I have no way of knowing. Where did you get your info in this regard?
what is really interesting is how many other better known RB we passed up for this guy

Shanahan had him in the Senior Bowl so there was clearly something he saw that he liked a lot.. given his record at finding RB's who fit his system well, he gets the benefit of the doubt for now

Old 05-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Shaman

Quote:
what is really interesting is how many other better known RB we passed up for this guy

Shanahan had him in the Senior Bowl so there was clearly something he saw that he liked a lot.. given his record at finding RB's who fit his system well, he gets the benefit of the doubt for now

I am surprised that Morris even got into the Senior Bowl.

And, I am not inclined to give Shanahan the benefit of the doubt here. I don't really see any need to draft a RB, when the Skins already have Helu and Royster as RB and Young as a FB. Even RBs with better credentials than Morris are mostly after-thoughts nowadays in the NFL, drafting Morris looks like a total waste of a pick.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
I am surprised that Morris even got into the Senior Bowl.

And, I am not inclined to give Shanahan the benefit of the doubt here. I don't really see any need to draft a RB, when the Skins already have Helu and Royster as RB and Young as a FB. Even RBs with better credentials than Morris are mostly after-thoughts nowadays in the NFL, drafting Morris looks like a total waste of a pick.
apparently he is being viewed as a hybrid player-- a guy who can fill in at either RB or FB.. if so, that would be his ticket to the roster as we only have Young as a FB (unless they are planning to play Lo Alexander or Paul there, lol)

Old 05-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Shaman

Quote:
apparently he is being viewed as a hybrid player-- a guy who can fill in at either RB or FB.. if so, that would be his ticket to the roster as we only have Young as a FB (unless they are planning to play Lo Alexander or Paul there, lol)

Given how minor a role a FB has in Shanahan's offense, why would the Skins even need more than Darrel Young? Cooley can play FB in a pinch and has done so in the past. And, a FB like Owen Schmitt is only a phone call away.

Also, I am guessing that Shanahan will keep 3 QBs (RG, Rex, Cousins) this season instead of 2--that should mean one less roster spot for RB-FB.