Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 05-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSkin View Post
In other breaking news, Rex Grossman has volunteered to take an afternoon to share everything he knows with Robert Griffin III.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/rex...teach-r,28090/
Awesome. I love it.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergiemoore View Post
I believe that Grossman was brought in as the "system quarterback". His role was to teach the system to the other qb's and be the #2. Except for the fact that he can't execute the system, it was a solid plan.
Makes too much sense. Try again.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:09 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
I believe that Grossman was brought in as the "system quarterback". His role was to teach the system to the other qb's and be the #2. Except for the fact that he can't execute the system, it was a solid plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_junior View Post
Its possible that the problem is that Grossman thinks he can sneak balls in anywhere, but I don't see why he would be such a great teacher of this "system." He was in Houston for a year, and in DC for 2. And he sucks floppy donkey balls in it. I'd rather the skins take out a restraining order on Grossman where he can't actually speak, gesture or leave reading material for Rg3.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_junior View Post
While true, that was his role in 2010, In 2011 he was clearly brought in to start, in large part because he knew the system, but the fact remains....he wasn't a teacher at that point, he was the guy entrusted with the keys because of the OCs comfort level. I realize how litle sense that makes based it being an accurate representation of the facts as they occurred.
Just so I don't forget, I intend to remind the above poster about this quote.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
Its possible that the problem is that Grossman thinks he can sneak balls in anywhere, but I don't see why he would be such a great teacher of this "system."
IMO that is exactly what the problem is with Grossman - he knows what he wants to do, but he is physically unable to execute the play. He wants to thread a needle, but throws a poor pass into coverage. He sees a "go" route, and underthrows the ball badly. The play was there, he just can't execute it.

- Oddball

Old 05-07-2012, 11:22 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
IMO that is exactly what the problem is with Grossman - he knows what he wants to do, but he is physically unable to execute the play. He wants to thread a needle, but throws a poor pass into coverage. He sees a "go" route, and underthrows the ball badly. The play was there, he just can't execute it.
Another reason to keep Grossman away from RG3.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keino View Post
While true, that was his role in 2010, In 2011 he was clearly brought in to start, in large part because he knew the system, but the fact remains....he wasn't a teacher at that point, he was the guy entrusted with the keys because of the OCs comfort level. I realize how litle sense that makes based it being an accurate representation of the facts as they occurred.
After not finding a QB in the 2011 draft, and having very little in the way of options during the drastically shortened FA period, bringing Rex back in as a security blanket is understandable.

The fact that Rex beat out Beck for the starting position underscores exactly how incompetent Beck is, and how poorly prepared the Shanahans were for a scenario in which their developmental project, Beck, goes down in flames.

Clearly, they misjudged the situation, but I don't see a whole lot of evidence that Shanahan brought Rex in to be the starter when they signed him in August. If he did, why did it take until the week before the season opener to name him as the starter? Why not try to resign him prior to the end of the 2010 season? Why only offer him a 1 year contract? None of these actions indicate that they were ever sold on Grossman as a legitimate starter in this league.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
After not finding a QB in the 2011 draft, and having very little in the way of options during the drastically shortened FA period, bringing Rex back in as a security blanket is understandable.

The fact that Rex beat out Beck for the starting position underscores exactly how incompetent Beck is, and how poorly prepared the Shanahans were for a scenario in which their developmental project, Beck, goes down in flames.

Clearly, they misjudged the situation, but I don't see a whole lot of evidence that Shanahan brought Rex in to be the starter when they signed him in August. If he did, why did it take until the week before the season opener to name him as the starter? Why not try to resign him prior to the end of the 2010 season? Why only offer him a 1 year contract? None of these actions indicate that they were ever sold on Grossman as a legitimate starter in this league.
Keeping in mind that the players could not be re-signed until the lock-out was officially over, I believe that practice revealed how woefully incompetent Beck was and that the sole reason for the non-disclosure and the so-called QB competition was simply Shanny keeping his cards close to his vest, as he is notoriously famous for doing. Why give the Giants a week extra to prepare for seeing Rex? Why wait to re-sign him, you ask? Well I don't think they were sold at the end of the 2010 season, and after failing to address the position with someone else, and seeing how Beck was performing, I think it was very clear that Rexy was brought in to hold the position in 2011 at the time he was signed. I believe, but cannot prove, that were it not for the lockout, Rexy would have been re-sgned shortly after the draft in April 2011.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:43 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Actually, they offered him a multi-year deal. Rex didn't want it since he didn't have a guarantee of the starting gig. That being said, the proof is in the proverbial pudding: who was brought in to challenge him for it? Clemens? Beck? They wanted Kaepernick in round 2 of the '11 draft, but they didn't do anything to give Rex any real competition after that fizzled out.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Warrior

Quote:
Actually, they offered him a multi-year deal. Rex didn't want it since he didn't have a guarantee of the starting gig. That being said, the proof is in the proverbial pudding: who was brought in to challenge him for it? Clemens? Beck? They wanted Kaepernick in round 2 of the '11 draft, but they didn't do anything to give Rex any real competition after that fizzled out.
Beck was real competition for Rex. That's not an endorsement of Beck, but an damning indictment of Rex. Personally I would have loved a real #1 QB, but after the draft, what choices were there? 2011 was a bad year for QBs in both the draft and FA. David Garrard is about the only option I can remember from last season that I feel would have given the Skins a real chance at being competitive, and he wasn't available until the exact same day Rex was declared the starter.

I think that they believed they could get by for a season with a system QB. They were very wrong, no question about it. But I don't believe that they've ever valued Rex any more than a #2 option. His salary bears that out.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Beck was real competition for Rex. That's not an endorsement of Beck, but an damning indictment of Rex. Personally I would have loved a real #1 QB, but after the draft, what choices were there? 2011 was a bad year for QBs in both the draft and FA. David Garrard is about the only option I can remember from last season that I feel would have given the Skins a real chance at being competitive, and he wasn't available until the exact same day Rex was declared the starter.

I think that they believed they could get by for a season with a system QB. They were very wrong, no question about it. But I don't believe that they've ever valued Rex any more than a #2 option. His salary bears that out.
Hasslebeck, Matt was out there.

But isn't believing they could get by with a system guy essentially saying "he's good enough to be the #1 guy"? Again, I don't buy for one second that Beck ever had a legitimate shot at starting once they re-signed Rex.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:10 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Beck was real competition for Rex. That's not an endorsement of Beck, but an damning indictment of Rex.
Then they should be fired if they thought that this was anything other then a disaster.

Quote:
Personally I would have loved a real #1 QB, but after the draft, what choices were there? 2011 was a bad year for QBs in both the draft and FA. David Garrard is about the only option I can remember from last season that I feel would have given the Skins a real chance at being competitive, and he wasn't available until the exact same day Rex was declared the starter.
Keino points out Hasselback, but you forget that FA was *after* the draft that spring. Alex Smith was available(at least for a short time). Matt Moore, TJax, etc etc

Quote:
Offering him a multi-year deal without a young Qb in the stable tells me otherwise.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keino View Post
Hasslebeck, Matt was out there.

But isn't believing they could get by with a system guy essentially saying "he's good enough to be the #1 guy"? Again, I don't buy for one second that Beck ever had a legitimate shot at starting once they re-signed Rex.
I think Hasslebeck is a great example of a successful system QB, and is certainly more successful than Rex or Beck in the WCO. Maybe Shanahan wasn't that anxious to bring in another 35 year-old QB on a multi-year contract the same day he shipped last-year's mid-thirties QB to another team for approximately 1/3rd of the value he gave up the year before. In hindsight, I think he should have, but I can understand the decision to not to pursue Matt.

Shanahan is the same coach who was able to turn Brian Griese into a Pro-Bowler in his 2nd season as a starter, and then summarily dumped him 2 seasons later for Plummer. I think Shanahan thought he could do something similar with either Beck or Grossman. He thought that either of these guys were good enough to run his system at a competitive level. I'm not sure if that is the same as saying that they are true #1s, but I admit that going into a season with a roster with two #2 QBs and no #1 or development project is a crime.

As for whether or not Beck had a shot, I will politely disagree with you.

Quote:
Then they should be fired if they thought that this was anything other then a disaster.
I'm ok with that. They had ample opportunity to find a young developmental project in their first 2 years, and failed to do so. I haven't been impressed with Shanahan's ability to figure out the most important position in the game over the last 2 years. I'm happy he's decided to take bold action, but it is getting late.

Quote:
Keino points out Hasselback, but you forget that FA was *after* the draft that spring. Alex Smith was available(at least for a short time). Matt Moore, TJax, etc etc
No, I didn't forget. I just didn't see TJax, Smith or Matt Moore as an upgrade at the time. Hasselbeck is probably the only one I would have felt better about. It was a crap market.

Quote:
Offering him a multi-year deal without a young Qb in the stable tells me otherwise.
Depends on the deal. If it's a mult-year contract averaging $1mil per year, then that tells me they're still valuing him as a back-up, and not a starter.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Shaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
Grant Paulsen reported this AM that Moss might be #4 on the depth chart when all is said and done. Coaches have penciled in Garcon, Morgan and Hankerson (health assumed) ahead of him.

I usually want to go with the younger player when the team is rebuilding. But, Hankerson is one WR I just am not impressed with. It seems that the only thing that stands out about him is dropping balls. I would say Moss is ahead of Hankerson until proven otherwise.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Shaman

Quote:
When you have nothing but mediocre talent at QB, I think it is reasonable to make the player fit your system. How do you adapt an offense to fully take advantage of Rex Grossman's special talents?

Shanahan has everything he needs to develop a franchise quarterback. He know that RGIII has rare talent, combined with the ability to learn quickly and command the respect of his teammates. He knows that RGIII will pickup the playbook quickly, and will be able to perform anything asked of him. Film will show where he is especially deadly, and game plans will be adjusted to fully utilize RGIII's strengths and exploit opponent's weaknesses. I also believe that Kyle will develop game plans, and RGIII will demonstrate that he is comfortable with the plan, but will also throw in a few suggestions, if he thinks the game plan can be fine-tuned. If it works, there will be a strong bond of trust between the coaching staff and RGIII.

In other breaking news, Rex Grossman has volunteered to take an afternoon to share everything he knows with Robert Griffin III.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/rex...teach-r,28090/

I am tempted to ask Rex "why should that take an afternoon?" Wouldn't 15 minutes be enough?