Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #31  
Old 05-07-2012, 09:59 AM
bergiemoore's Avatar
bergiemoore bergiemoore is offline
Warrior
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 2,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSkin View Post
In other breaking news, Rex Grossman has volunteered to take an afternoon to share everything he knows with Robert Griffin III.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/rex...teach-r,28090/
Awesome. I love it.
__________________
"It is all about attitude. I can't say why or how but it is all about attitude. We go out and do our jobs, and once you go out and do it once, you get excited so you go out and do it twice."
--Darrell Green
Reply With Quote

  #32  
Old 05-07-2012, 10:00 AM
cal_junior's Avatar
cal_junior cal_junior is offline
Great Spirit
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergiemoore View Post
I believe that Grossman was brought in as the "system quarterback". His role was to teach the system to the other qb's and be the #2. Except for the fact that he can't execute the system, it was a solid plan.
Makes too much sense. Try again.
Reply With Quote

  #33  
Old 05-07-2012, 10:09 AM
akhhorus's Avatar
akhhorus akhhorus is offline
hR Staff Writer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Monty Burns County
Posts: 61,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergiemoore View Post
I believe that Grossman was brought in as the "system quarterback". His role was to teach the system to the other qb's and be the #2. Except for the fact that he can't execute the system, it was a solid plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_junior View Post
Makes too much sense. Try again.
Its possible that the problem is that Grossman thinks he can sneak balls in anywhere, but I don't see why he would be such a great teacher of this "system." He was in Houston for a year, and in DC for 2. And he sucks floppy donkey balls in it. I'd rather the skins take out a restraining order on Grossman where he can't actually speak, gesture or leave reading material for Rg3.
__________________
Thanks for everything Johnny White Guy.
Reply With Quote

  #34  
Old 05-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Keino's Avatar
Keino Keino is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 24,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergiemoore View Post
I believe that Grossman was brought in as the "system quarterback". His role was to teach the system to the other qb's and be the #2. Except for the fact that he can't execute the system, it was a solid plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_junior View Post
Makes too much sense. Try again.
While true, that was his role in 2010, In 2011 he was clearly brought in to start, in large part because he knew the system, but the fact remains....he wasn't a teacher at that point, he was the guy entrusted with the keys because of the OCs comfort level. I realize how litle sense that makes based it being an accurate representation of the facts as they occurred.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsSwag2 View Post
Long will never start for us and neither will the kid from stanford. We fot fleecsd .....moses wont start either there is a reason he fell so far. Sosorry this draft has disaster written all over it
Just so I don't forget, I intend to remind the above poster about this quote.
Reply With Quote

  #35  
Old 05-07-2012, 10:52 AM
AustinSkin's Avatar
AustinSkin AustinSkin is offline
Ghost Dancer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austin, TX - Live Music Capitol of the World
Posts: 3,834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
Its possible that the problem is that Grossman thinks he can sneak balls in anywhere, but I don't see why he would be such a great teacher of this "system."
IMO that is exactly what the problem is with Grossman - he knows what he wants to do, but he is physically unable to execute the play. He wants to thread a needle, but throws a poor pass into coverage. He sees a "go" route, and underthrows the ball badly. The play was there, he just can't execute it.
__________________
"Why don't you knock it off with them Negative Waves! ... Why can't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change"

- Oddball
Reply With Quote

  #36  
Old 05-07-2012, 11:22 AM
akhhorus's Avatar
akhhorus akhhorus is offline
hR Staff Writer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Monty Burns County
Posts: 61,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSkin View Post
IMO that is exactly what the problem is with Grossman - he knows what he wants to do, but he is physically unable to execute the play. He wants to thread a needle, but throws a poor pass into coverage. He sees a "go" route, and underthrows the ball badly. The play was there, he just can't execute it.
Another reason to keep Grossman away from RG3.
__________________
Thanks for everything Johnny White Guy.
Reply With Quote

  #37  
Old 05-07-2012, 11:31 AM
bergiemoore's Avatar
bergiemoore bergiemoore is offline
Warrior
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 2,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keino View Post
While true, that was his role in 2010, In 2011 he was clearly brought in to start, in large part because he knew the system, but the fact remains....he wasn't a teacher at that point, he was the guy entrusted with the keys because of the OCs comfort level. I realize how litle sense that makes based it being an accurate representation of the facts as they occurred.
After not finding a QB in the 2011 draft, and having very little in the way of options during the drastically shortened FA period, bringing Rex back in as a security blanket is understandable.

The fact that Rex beat out Beck for the starting position underscores exactly how incompetent Beck is, and how poorly prepared the Shanahans were for a scenario in which their developmental project, Beck, goes down in flames.

Clearly, they misjudged the situation, but I don't see a whole lot of evidence that Shanahan brought Rex in to be the starter when they signed him in August. If he did, why did it take until the week before the season opener to name him as the starter? Why not try to resign him prior to the end of the 2010 season? Why only offer him a 1 year contract? None of these actions indicate that they were ever sold on Grossman as a legitimate starter in this league.
__________________
"It is all about attitude. I can't say why or how but it is all about attitude. We go out and do our jobs, and once you go out and do it once, you get excited so you go out and do it twice."
--Darrell Green
Reply With Quote

  #38  
Old 05-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Keino's Avatar
Keino Keino is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 24,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergiemoore View Post
After not finding a QB in the 2011 draft, and having very little in the way of options during the drastically shortened FA period, bringing Rex back in as a security blanket is understandable.

The fact that Rex beat out Beck for the starting position underscores exactly how incompetent Beck is, and how poorly prepared the Shanahans were for a scenario in which their developmental project, Beck, goes down in flames.

Clearly, they misjudged the situation, but I don't see a whole lot of evidence that Shanahan brought Rex in to be the starter when they signed him in August. If he did, why did it take until the week before the season opener to name him as the starter? Why not try to resign him prior to the end of the 2010 season? Why only offer him a 1 year contract? None of these actions indicate that they were ever sold on Grossman as a legitimate starter in this league.
Keeping in mind that the players could not be re-signed until the lock-out was officially over, I believe that practice revealed how woefully incompetent Beck was and that the sole reason for the non-disclosure and the so-called QB competition was simply Shanny keeping his cards close to his vest, as he is notoriously famous for doing. Why give the Giants a week extra to prepare for seeing Rex? Why wait to re-sign him, you ask? Well I don't think they were sold at the end of the 2010 season, and after failing to address the position with someone else, and seeing how Beck was performing, I think it was very clear that Rexy was brought in to hold the position in 2011 at the time he was signed. I believe, but cannot prove, that were it not for the lockout, Rexy would have been re-sgned shortly after the draft in April 2011.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsSwag2 View Post
Long will never start for us and neither will the kid from stanford. We fot fleecsd .....moses wont start either there is a reason he fell so far. Sosorry this draft has disaster written all over it
Just so I don't forget, I intend to remind the above poster about this quote.
Reply With Quote

  #39  
Old 05-07-2012, 11:43 AM
akhhorus's Avatar
akhhorus akhhorus is offline
hR Staff Writer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Monty Burns County
Posts: 61,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergiemoore View Post
Clearly, they misjudged the situation, but I don't see a whole lot of evidence that Shanahan brought Rex in to be the starter when they signed him in August. If he did, why did it take until the week before the season opener to name him as the starter? Why not try to resign him prior to the end of the 2010 season? Why only offer him a 1 year contract? None of these actions indicate that they were ever sold on Grossman as a legitimate starter in this league.
Actually, they offered him a multi-year deal. Rex didn't want it since he didn't have a guarantee of the starting gig. That being said, the proof is in the proverbial pudding: who was brought in to challenge him for it? Clemens? Beck? They wanted Kaepernick in round 2 of the '11 draft, but they didn't do anything to give Rex any real competition after that fizzled out.
__________________
Thanks for everything Johnny White Guy.
Reply With Quote

  #40  
Old 05-07-2012, 01:54 PM
bergiemoore's Avatar
bergiemoore bergiemoore is offline
Warrior
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 2,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
Actually, they offered him a multi-year deal. Rex didn't want it since he didn't have a guarantee of the starting gig. That being said, the proof is in the proverbial pudding: who was brought in to challenge him for it? Clemens? Beck? They wanted Kaepernick in round 2 of the '11 draft, but they didn't do anything to give Rex any real competition after that fizzled out.
Beck was real competition for Rex. That's not an endorsement of Beck, but an damning indictment of Rex. Personally I would have loved a real #1 QB, but after the draft, what choices were there? 2011 was a bad year for QBs in both the draft and FA. David Garrard is about the only option I can remember from last season that I feel would have given the Skins a real chance at being competitive, and he wasn't available until the exact same day Rex was declared the starter.

I think that they believed they could get by for a season with a system QB. They were very wrong, no question about it. But I don't believe that they've ever valued Rex any more than a #2 option. His salary bears that out.
__________________
"It is all about attitude. I can't say why or how but it is all about attitude. We go out and do our jobs, and once you go out and do it once, you get excited so you go out and do it twice."
--Darrell Green
Reply With Quote

  #41  
Old 05-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Keino's Avatar
Keino Keino is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 24,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergiemoore View Post
Beck was real competition for Rex. That's not an endorsement of Beck, but an damning indictment of Rex. Personally I would have loved a real #1 QB, but after the draft, what choices were there? 2011 was a bad year for QBs in both the draft and FA. David Garrard is about the only option I can remember from last season that I feel would have given the Skins a real chance at being competitive, and he wasn't available until the exact same day Rex was declared the starter.

I think that they believed they could get by for a season with a system QB. They were very wrong, no question about it. But I don't believe that they've ever valued Rex any more than a #2 option. His salary bears that out.
Hasslebeck, Matt was out there.

But isn't believing they could get by with a system guy essentially saying "he's good enough to be the #1 guy"? Again, I don't buy for one second that Beck ever had a legitimate shot at starting once they re-signed Rex.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsSwag2 View Post
Long will never start for us and neither will the kid from stanford. We fot fleecsd .....moses wont start either there is a reason he fell so far. Sosorry this draft has disaster written all over it
Just so I don't forget, I intend to remind the above poster about this quote.
Reply With Quote

  #42  
Old 05-07-2012, 02:10 PM
akhhorus's Avatar
akhhorus akhhorus is offline
hR Staff Writer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Monty Burns County
Posts: 61,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergiemoore View Post
Beck was real competition for Rex. That's not an endorsement of Beck, but an damning indictment of Rex.
Then they should be fired if they thought that this was anything other then a disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergiemoore View Post
Personally I would have loved a real #1 QB, but after the draft, what choices were there? 2011 was a bad year for QBs in both the draft and FA. David Garrard is about the only option I can remember from last season that I feel would have given the Skins a real chance at being competitive, and he wasn't available until the exact same day Rex was declared the starter.
Keino points out Hasselback, but you forget that FA was *after* the draft that spring. Alex Smith was available(at least for a short time). Matt Moore, TJax, etc etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergiemoore View Post
I think that they believed they could get by for a season with a system QB. They were very wrong, no question about it. But I don't believe that they've ever valued Rex any more than a #2 option. His salary bears that out.
Offering him a multi-year deal without a young Qb in the stable tells me otherwise.
__________________
Thanks for everything Johnny White Guy.
Reply With Quote

  #43  
Old 05-07-2012, 02:55 PM
bergiemoore's Avatar
bergiemoore bergiemoore is offline
Warrior
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 2,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keino View Post
Hasslebeck, Matt was out there.

But isn't believing they could get by with a system guy essentially saying "he's good enough to be the #1 guy"? Again, I don't buy for one second that Beck ever had a legitimate shot at starting once they re-signed Rex.
I think Hasslebeck is a great example of a successful system QB, and is certainly more successful than Rex or Beck in the WCO. Maybe Shanahan wasn't that anxious to bring in another 35 year-old QB on a multi-year contract the same day he shipped last-year's mid-thirties QB to another team for approximately 1/3rd of the value he gave up the year before. In hindsight, I think he should have, but I can understand the decision to not to pursue Matt.

Shanahan is the same coach who was able to turn Brian Griese into a Pro-Bowler in his 2nd season as a starter, and then summarily dumped him 2 seasons later for Plummer. I think Shanahan thought he could do something similar with either Beck or Grossman. He thought that either of these guys were good enough to run his system at a competitive level. I'm not sure if that is the same as saying that they are true #1s, but I admit that going into a season with a roster with two #2 QBs and no #1 or development project is a crime.

As for whether or not Beck had a shot, I will politely disagree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
Then they should be fired if they thought that this was anything other then a disaster.
I'm ok with that. They had ample opportunity to find a young developmental project in their first 2 years, and failed to do so. I haven't been impressed with Shanahan's ability to figure out the most important position in the game over the last 2 years. I'm happy he's decided to take bold action, but it is getting late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
Keino points out Hasselback, but you forget that FA was *after* the draft that spring. Alex Smith was available(at least for a short time). Matt Moore, TJax, etc etc
No, I didn't forget. I just didn't see TJax, Smith or Matt Moore as an upgrade at the time. Hasselbeck is probably the only one I would have felt better about. It was a crap market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
Offering him a multi-year deal without a young Qb in the stable tells me otherwise.
Depends on the deal. If it's a mult-year contract averaging $1mil per year, then that tells me they're still valuing him as a back-up, and not a starter.
__________________
"It is all about attitude. I can't say why or how but it is all about attitude. We go out and do our jobs, and once you go out and do it once, you get excited so you go out and do it twice."
--Darrell Green
Reply With Quote

  #44  
Old 05-07-2012, 05:58 PM
HanburgerBum HanburgerBum is offline
Shaman
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,866
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
Grant Paulsen reported this AM that Moss might be #4 on the depth chart when all is said and done. Coaches have penciled in Garcon, Morgan and Hankerson (health assumed) ahead of him.

I usually want to go with the younger player when the team is rebuilding. But, Hankerson is one WR I just am not impressed with. It seems that the only thing that stands out about him is dropping balls. I would say Moss is ahead of Hankerson until proven otherwise.
Reply With Quote

  #45  
Old 05-07-2012, 06:01 PM
HanburgerBum HanburgerBum is offline
Shaman
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,866
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSkin View Post
When you have nothing but mediocre talent at QB, I think it is reasonable to make the player fit your system. How do you adapt an offense to fully take advantage of Rex Grossman's special talents?

Shanahan has everything he needs to develop a franchise quarterback. He know that RGIII has rare talent, combined with the ability to learn quickly and command the respect of his teammates. He knows that RGIII will pickup the playbook quickly, and will be able to perform anything asked of him. Film will show where he is especially deadly, and game plans will be adjusted to fully utilize RGIII's strengths and exploit opponent's weaknesses. I also believe that Kyle will develop game plans, and RGIII will demonstrate that he is comfortable with the plan, but will also throw in a few suggestions, if he thinks the game plan can be fine-tuned. If it works, there will be a strong bond of trust between the coaching staff and RGIII.

In other breaking news, Rex Grossman has volunteered to take an afternoon to share everything he knows with Robert Griffin III.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/rex...teach-r,28090/


I am tempted to ask Rex "why should that take an afternoon?" Wouldn't 15 minutes be enough?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 AM.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
| Home | Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Today's Posts | Search | New Posts |