Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > Navajo ALL NFL Tribe

Old 05-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death_Venom View Post
I must say i was pretty shocked to hear about Junior Seau's death. RIP Junior.

One that that is very odd to me that he chose to shoot himself in the chest. That is a very odd and unconventional way to commit suicide. Most individuals typically (those that are serious) usually prefer a gunshot to the head. I honestly suspect foul play here.

It is far too convenient to blame brain trauma on this particular incident.

Some are saying he shot himself in the chest so his brain would be in tact and able to be studied for the effect of football related trauma similar to Dave Duerson's suicide and request.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:58 PM
Warrior

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWGZHEAD View Post
Some are saying he shot himself in the chest so his brain would be in tact and able to be studied for the effect of football related trauma similar to Dave Duerson's suicide and request.
Maybe. But that is speculation. So is my theory. There again (since i am not sure if of the weapon) shooting yourself in the chest would be somewhat difficult.

Either way something does not feel right about this AND the NFL really needs to devote some serious research to improve the quality of the helmets used by the players.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Maybe. But that is speculation. So is my theory. There again (since i am not sure if of the weapon) shooting yourself in the chest would be somewhat difficult.

Either way something does not feel right about this AND the NFL really needs to devote some serious research to improve the quality of the helmets used by the players.
Not sure of the model or caliber, but reports are that he shot himself with a revolver.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Spirit

Quote:

I think the helmets are most of the problem. The better the helmets, the harder people are going to hit. You can stop the head, but you can't stop the brain from hitting the skull, which is what causes concussions. Yes, there are more things that the league and players can do, but I have a feeling the rate of concussions is only going to get worse. You'd have to go back to leather helmets so players would stop leading with their head. It would likely do more than making tougher helmets.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Medicine Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGREDSKINSFAN1963 View Post
NO,just really curious and i can no longer work,so i read a whole lot,including medical mysteries and unsolved/solved death cases of the past.
Gotcha

Old 05-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Medicine Man

So I learned some new things Friday, sorry I wasn't able to sooner. These numbers are all ball park estimates.

In regards to performing an autopsy for suicides, it happens "~50-75%" of the time. Just to be clear, the medical examiner does investigate the death but with out performing an autopsy. They do an autopsy 100% if a gun shot wound is involved. If a medical examiner decides an autopsy not necessary the family cannot request for them to perform one, they would need to have a seperate pathologist perform it at their cost and once the Medical Examiner is done with their examination.

As far as how Seau shot himself that can vary and is not an indication of foul play by itself. Just from my own limited training and experience there's usually enough forensic evidence left at the scene that they can use to determine how likely the pieces flal into place.

Suicide notes are only left ~25% of the time, so not a big deal a note was not left. I always thought it would be closer to 90%...

EDIT: Another item that was brought up was the incidence for domestic abuse was higher in athletes who sustained repeated head injuries such as those in football. I want to say I heard that there was an actual spike in these matters once they went away from the leather helmets and that going back to them may be what's needed.

Last edited by Emmanouel8 : 05-07-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Chief

London Fletcher is calling for the league and nflpa to both offer counseling to retiring ex players so they can make the crossover to a regular life minus football easier.sounds like a great idea to me.
http://www.csnwashington.com/footbal...0&feedID=10316

Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it."
—Mark Twain

“If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, “Roll, Tide, Roll!”

Paul"Bear"Bryant

Old 05-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
London Fletcher is calling for the league and nflpa to both offer counseling to retiring ex players so they can make the crossover to a regular life minus football easier.sounds like a great idea to me.
http://www.csnwashington.com/footbal...0&feedID=10316
i think this will cause Fletcher to walk away from the game sooner than all of us think.. He has taken this very hard..

the fact the he has to feel a little "disrespected" by the way the negotiations went this spring plus the fact that no one can know the toll the game has taken on him so far makes me think it will translate into a urgency of self preservation for him.. all i can say is, take care of yourself first, London.
You need do nothing else ever again in your life to prove what a man you are...

Old 05-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
i think this will cause Fletcher to walk away from the game sooner than all of us think.. He has taken this very hard..
Can't say I'd blame him. I'd be terrified right now if I was one of those guys.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Chief

Pollard from the Ravens says football will not exsist in 30 years.personally,i think he's been hit a few times too much in his head.
http://www.inquisitr.com/231165/rave...n-20-30-years/

Quote:
when fletcher does retire,i would not be shocked if he did not go to work with the NFLPA helping retired players make the transition to civilian life.he obviously loves the dc area,i think he may have found his calling off the field.

—Mark Twain

“If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, “Roll, Tide, Roll!”

Paul"Bear"Bryant

Old 05-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Pollard from the Ravens says football will not exsist in 30 years.personally,i think he's been hit a few times too much in his head.
http://www.inquisitr.com/231165/rave...n-20-30-years/

when fletcher does retire,i would not be shocked if he did not go to work with the NFLPA helping retired players make the transition to civilian life.he obviously loves the dc area,i think he may have found his calling off the field.
that what Troy Vincent did for the financial end of things.. Fletcher would seem to fit more on the counselling end of things.. I can see him doing that

I could also see the league hiring him to evaluate hits and to mete out punishment..kind of like what Brendan Shanahan does for the NHL.. you would have a former player who is held inthe highest esteem and who would command respect from the players.. He obviously knows what types of hits are dirty or dangerous.. No one better i can think of

Old 05-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
that what Troy Vincent did for the financial end of things.. Fletcher would seem to fit more on the counselling end of things.. I can see him doing that

I could also see the league hiring him to evaluate hits and to mete out punishment..kind of like what Brendan Shanahan does for the NHL.. you would have a former player who is held inthe highest esteem and who would command respect from the players.. He obviously knows what types of hits are dirty or dangerous.. No one better i can think of
Just like the governor of new mexico told an aid when he hired pat garrett to go after billy the kid,"Let's hire one thief to catch another." different occupations, but you get the meaning.
with all the money the league spends on helments,looks like there would be some type of way to put a transmitter in it that sends data as to how hard the force the players take on every hit???

—Mark Twain

Paul"Bear"Bryant

Old 05-08-2012, 12:14 PM
hR Staff Writer

I have to tell you as a father of a 3 year old boy my biggest dream would be for my son to be a pro football player. But now I question whether I want him playign the sport at all on a high level. Until the NFL and also NCAA does something about this concusssion issue it will be a black eye for the sport. The way former players have been treated is appalling and I find no reason the NFL as the richest sport in America and possibly the world cant find a way to curp this issue.

http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/...light=shanahan

Old 05-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYSkinFan View Post
I have to tell you as a father of a 3 year old boy my biggest dream would be for my son to be a pro football player. But now I question whether I want him playign the sport at all on a high level. Until the NFL and also NCAA does something about this concusssion issue it will be a black eye for the sport. The way former players have been treated is appalling and I find no reason the NFL as the richest sport in America and possibly the world cant find a way to curp this issue.
Thank goodness my son never got the football bug.He has been perfectly content to throw his off hours into ROTC and military training so he can go into the military in 3 years.Football clearly has more of these concussions folks know about,but i'd be willing to bet that baseball,basketball and especially hockey are right up there with football concussions!Don't hear folks complaining about that much,does anybody else?

—Mark Twain

Paul"Bear"Bryant