Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Art Monk Lead Plantiff in Concussion Suit
Old 05-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Medicine Man

Default Art Monk Lead Plantiff in Concussion Suit

Art Monk has added his name to the long list of ex-NFL players suing the NFL.

I believe Mark Rypien is lead plantiff on a different suit.

Deeds, not Words

Old 05-10-2012, 11:40 PM

I hate to call "frivolous" because I understand that many ex-players suffer from the results of repeated concussions but, as in everything else involving their health, the players know that one way or another, they will pay for the abuse on their body, playing this game. They get compensated well and I am sure there are hundreds of thousands that would willingly take the same risk for the chance they had.

You can't blame the NFL for the failure of the medical community to proceed with a caution first policy towards head trauma, until they had an understanding of it. The players continually play with torn ligaments, tendons and in some cases, broken bones. Even if we had the enlightenment about concussions, that we have now, I would bet that most if not all of the players would choose to play.

Pro players, that is. I know High School players that have had to stop because of multiple concussions. It's the nature of the game, it's brutal. You accept the risk when you play.

There are no mistakes, just happy accidents.
-- Bob Ross

Last edited by redskin_rich : 05-10-2012 at 11:54 PM.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:51 AM
Shaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskin_rich View Post
I hate to call "frivolous" because I understand that many ex-players suffer from the results of repeated concussions but, as in everything else involving their health, the players know that one way or another, they will pay for the abuse on their body, playing this game. They get compensated well and I am sure there are hundreds of thousands that would willingly take the same risk for the chance they had.

You can't blame the NFL for the failure of the medical community to proceed with a caution first policy towards head trauma, until they had an understanding of it. The players continually play with torn ligaments, tendons and in some cases, broken bones. Even if we had the enlightenment about concussions, that we have now, I would bet that most if not all of the players would choose to play.

Pro players, that is. I know High School players that have had to stop because of multiple concussions. It's the nature of the game, it's brutal. You accept the risk when you play.

+1

Old 05-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Ghost Dancer

i have to agree with Rich there...

Old 05-11-2012, 08:23 AM
Chief

I Still can't understand what exactly they are suing for? the fact they had concussions or the league gave them improper treatment after they got one?
and nobody is saying much about this,but i bet that all pro atheletes and even pro wrestlers have this CTE condition to a degree! remember a few years back when chris benoit,the wrestler killed his family and then himself? was his brain checked for CTE cause i bet he had it!

Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it."
—Mark Twain

“If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, “Roll, Tide, Roll!”

Paul"Bear"Bryant

Old 05-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGREDSKINSFAN1963 View Post
I Still can't understand what exactly they are suing for? the fact they had concussions or the league gave them improper treatment after they got one?
and nobody is saying much about this,but i bet that all pro atheletes and even pro wrestlers have this CTE condition to a degree! remember a few years back when chris benoit,the wrestler killed his family and then himself? was his brain checked for CTE cause i bet he had it!
They are suing because according to the players, the NFL had done medical studies about concussions way back in the day. Those medical studies came back saying that concussions can cause long term brain damage if they 1) have to many and 2) are not taken out of games for their own safety when they do have one. Multiple concussions at one time is a major concern.

The owners took that medical study and buried it because keeping players out of football games was bad for business. Did they know all that we know today about concussions... No... But they sure knew that they were burying major medical information to make a buck (Again... According to the players).

The lawsuits by the players are contending that the owners at the time traded other peoples lives for their own wallet getting bigger.

Sounds like a just cause to sue to me if its true. If someone played with my life and my families well being just to make an extra 10 bucks over the billions they are already making, I would sue as well.

Had they told the players that concussions are a major concern back then, their is no legitimate lawsuits now. But since the owners back then said who cares if they die young as long as I make an extra buck or two, lets hide this info from the players. Thats a pretty legitimate lawsuit.

Imo, this all comes down to whether the players are telling the truth about what the owners actually knew about concussions at the time. And if they did know that they were dangerous, did they keep this medical information from the players. If the owners knew they were bad and told the players otherwise, thats a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Chief

Thanks for the explanation.
chris benoit DID have CTE.
Quote:
SLI’s research has indicated there is a connection between the repeated head injuries suffered by many athletes involved in contact sports and an aggregation of abnormal Tau proteins in the brain, causing CTE. CTE's most common symptoms include depression, cognitive impairment, dementia, Parkinsonism and erratic behavior. Experts believe that CTE may have been a cause or contributing factor in the Benoit tragedy. While CTE has long been found in boxers, and more recently in NFL football players, the findings of CTE in Benoit suggest that athletes involved in other contact sports may also be at a heightened risk for this type of brain injury
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0905224343.htm

also good chance that LOU GEHRIG had it as well.
http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...011489,00.html

Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it."
—Mark Twain

“If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, “Roll, Tide, Roll!”

Paul"Bear"Bryant