Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > The hR Washington DC Sports Forum > Caps, Nats, and Bullets!

Wizards: 2012 NBA Draft Lottery/NBA Draft
Old 05-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Runner

Default Wizards: 2012 NBA Draft Lottery/NBA Draft

With the Draft Lottery coming up on May 30, and the Draft coming up on June 28, I just can't help but to think about what the best option would be for the Wizards. Obviously the hope is that we beat out the Bobcats for the #1 overall pick, and snatch Anthony Davis, but whoever we pick, we need someone in the frontcourt. I think we're set in the backcourt, with John Wall, the future All-Star, and Jordan Crawford, who's on the rise. I also think we're set with Kevin Seraphin, who's getting REALLY good.... So, that leaves us with, Center and Small Forward. Nene is getting old, so it'll do us good to get some insurance, who can also learn from Nene's veteran experience. Again, the top prospect would obviously be Anthony Davis, and in that case, we can play him in either the Center or PF (probably the latter) position, and move Kevin Seraphin to Center. A lot of people have said Andre Drummond, but personally, I think he's going to be a huge bust. Other good prospects for us include:

-Harrison Barnes, SF: Great Scorer, could improve on Defense
-MKG, SF: has great athleticism and defense, could improve on jump shot/scoring
-Thomas Robinson, PF: Great all-around player
-John Henson, PF: Long & Athletic, Shot blocking machine, Great on the inside
-Fab Melo, C: Underrated player, has great size

There's no telling what Ernie Grunsfield will do (Why, oh why, did you give him an extention, Ted?), but I really wouldn't mind seeing Thomas Robinson or John Henson play for us, but like I said, Kevin Seraphin is on the rise, so we really should be focusing on Small Forward, so I'd say Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.

What do you think the Wizards will do this draft?

Old 05-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Great Spirit

Thomas Robinson excites me. Big, athletic and runs the floor. Could be a fun player for John Wall to work with.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:00 AM
Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel723 View Post
With the Draft Lottery coming up on May 30, and the Draft coming up on June 28, I just can't help but to think about what the best option would be for the Wizards. Obviously the hope is that we beat out the Bobcats for the #1 overall pick, and snatch Anthony Davis, but whoever we pick, we need someone in the frontcourt. I think we're set in the backcourt, with John Wall, the future All-Star, and Jordan Crawford, who's on the rise. I also think we're set with Kevin Seraphin, who's getting REALLY good.... So, that leaves us with, Center and Small Forward. Nene is getting old, so it'll do us good to get some insurance, who can also learn from Nene's veteran experience. Again, the top prospect would obviously be Anthony Davis, and in that case, we can play him in either the Center or PF (probably the latter) position, and move Kevin Seraphin to Center. A lot of people have said Andre Drummond, but personally, I think he's going to be a huge bust. Other good prospects for us include:

There's no telling what Ernie Grunsfield will do (Why, oh why, did you give him an extention, Ted?), but I really wouldn't mind seeing Thomas Robinson or John Henson play for us, but like I said, Kevin Seraphin is on the rise, so we really should be focusing on Small Forward, so I'd say Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.

Jordan Crawford is a bum. I would like to see them acquire Eric Gordon and draft Thomas Robinson.

Kurtis Drummond for 2015

Hi! My name is Salvatore

Old 05-21-2012, 06:48 AM
Spirit

Quote:

Of those five, I'd probably go Robinson and Henson.

I think Melo is rated just fine. I love MKG, but I don't think the Wizards need two players who go recklessly (in a good way) to the hole. And his jump shot might never come along. I'm just not sold on Barnes. It seems to me his offense came and went as Kendall Marshall did and that he settles for jump shots too often. He has the physical tools though.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Warrior

Overall, we are still a poor shooting, rebounding, and defending team.
Hmm.... I guess that explains last season's record.

Crawford is a volume shooter and too much like Wall. Give me a real shooting guard or small forward on the big and quick side who can score and/or defend.

1st round
- Thomas Robinson or M.K. Gilchrist (assuming we don't pick #1)

2nd round
- John Jenkins (Vandy) - man can shoot!
- Mike Scott (UVA PF) - great attitude / team player, great post game and fallaway 10-15 footer that is hard to stop

Old 05-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Medicine Man

We are not set at any position, so best player available and go from there. That being said I think this draft is loaded with enough big men to end up with a quality prospect with our 1st round pick, the X factor being Ernie Grunfeld. Why they gave that man more time in control I'll never understand, I just hope we end up #1 and save ourselves from Ernie's philosophy on what's "best" for eastern Europe instead of the eastern conference.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:59 PM
Runner

I REALLY like Thomas Robinson. I guess we could have him play SF if we needed him to. I just REALLY hope Ernie Grunsfield doesn't do something completely idiotic and draft Andre Drummond, he's really going to be a bust.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:14 AM
Runner

The NBA Draft Lottery is on TONIGHT on ESPN at 8 o'clock EST.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Hunter

top three

Old 05-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Hunter

Bradley Beal

Old 05-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Runner

I just hope to God that Ernie doens't do something STUPID (which is what his decisions usually are) and pick Andre Drummond.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Hunter

Quote:
I just hope to God that Ernie doens't do something STUPID (which is what his decisions usually are) and pick Andre Drummond.
Ya i think with nene seraphin and vesley we habe enough bigs

Old 05-31-2012, 07:38 AM
Great Spirit

A nice breakdown from Bullets Forever of the three most likely options for the Wiz at No. 3:

Quote:
Bradley Beal: As an on-court fit, he seems perfect. He's a guard with a great shooting stroke that has the ability to transition beautifully from playing on and off the ball, with on-court intelligence that has repeated caused Billy Donovan (who coached Joakim Noah and Al Horford, mind you) to swoon about his basketball IQ. Many have made the Isiah Thomas/Joe Dumars comparison between John Wall and Beal, and while Beal may not be as tenacious defensively as Dumars, you could see how the two could trade off playmaking and scoring seamlessly like Isiah and Joe did, especially in a guard-driven era. That said, he didn't shoot all that well in college -- there are all sorts of possible explanations, but you wonder why he even needs them -- and there are questions about his size and his defense. You also have to consider the shaky history of picking shooting guards at the top of the draft.

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist: Everyone raves about Kidd-Gilchrist's tenacity and will to win, not to mention his tremendous athleticism in the open floor and lockdown defense. I forget where I heard this, but someone said that the guys that end up being great are the ones who are so single-minded that nothing else phases them. By all accounts, this is Kidd-Gilchrist. But he also has a very broken jump shot -- a major issue on this roster -- and he did seem to disappear at times on a loaded Kentucky squad. I also always wonder about a high-lottery prospect whose best qualities in the eyes of many are his off-court characteristics rather than his on-court play (if the off-court characteristics are so good, shouldn't they be enhancing the on-court characteristics, etc). Usually, that screams "ROLE PLAYER" to me. We'll have to see if Kidd-Gilchrist is different.

Thomas Robinson: Provides a dose of on-court nastiness the Wizards need, and is exactly the kind of defensive rebounder that will kick-start fast breaks and throw his body around in the paint. If the Wizards are trying to reinvent themselves as a physical team, they'll eventually need to find a legitimate defensive rebounder. That describes Robinson perfectly. But he also plays the same position as two other promising youngsters (Jan Vesely, Trevor Booker), and while he has some offensive skills that I see carrying over and even improving in the pro game (his face-up game, in particular), he still struggles to score against length at times. He's also over two years older than both Beal and Kidd-Gilchrist, so there may not be as much upside there.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:03 AM
Medicine Man

I'd like to come out of the draft with a big man. I don't consider Nene, Vesely, or Seraphin anything special that would make me shy away from a top 3 F/C prospect.

I really like MKG and Robinson. MKG I think will fit in perfectly with Wall, Robinson is the guy we were looking for 6 years ago and any team can use a guy like him.

PF Singleton
SF MKG
C Nene
SG Crawford
PG Wall

-or-

PF Robinson
SF Vesely
C Nene
SG Crawford
PG Wall

Pretty strong up front either way and deep off the bench. Still need to upgrade at SG that I'm sure Ernie will fill with someone from Austria. I think that is the only country in europe he hasn't drafted a player from.

I really hoped for that #1, oh well just another lottery pick next year.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:30 AM
Spirit

Is there any real reason to believe Stern doesn't rig this thing anymore?

Kurtis Drummond for 2015

Hi! My name is Salvatore