Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Sprint Turf
Old 09-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Brave

Default Sprint Turf

Watching this Monday night football game got me thinking!...would you want to see Sprint Turf in our stadium?...If RG3 is our future why not play to his strength he slipped quite a bit yesterday...Sprint Turf would make that go away especially when our field looked so terrible yesterday!...Seattle's field looks awesome...were the 3rd most expensive franchise in pro sports and our field was an embarassment yesterday? Just curious what people think?

Old 09-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Great Spirit

Nothing wrong with natural grass, baby!

Old 09-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRyan View Post
Nothing wrong with natural grass, baby!
There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. To bad the Skins have sand painted green, and not natural grass.

They have one of those fields where I live. My daughter gets to play on it sometimes for soccer. I have to admit, its a real nice field. Seems fairly soft with all those rubber pellets spread everywhere. I wouldnt mind having it since there are enough off season events at Fedex to make it difficult to keep a natural turf field in good shape.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:40 AM
Medicine Man

I'm old school and believe football should be played on a natural surface. You don't even see mud when it rains on most fields anymore. I've also officiated on some of the new artifical surfaces, those pellets will make you slide too.

Deeds, not Words

Old 09-25-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzmanforlife View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. To bad the Skins have sand painted green, and not natural grass.

They have one of those fields where I live. My daughter gets to play on it sometimes for soccer. I have to admit, its a real nice field. Seems fairly soft with all those rubber pellets spread everywhere. I wouldnt mind having it since there are enough off season events at Fedex to make it difficult to keep a natural turf field in good shape.
Exactly. The condition of the field is an utter embarrassment and in my view played a role in our loss on Sunday. We should not be slipping and sliding around a field on a clear sunny day.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:45 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keino View Post
Exactly. The condition of the field is an utter embarrassment and in my view played a role in our loss on Sunday. We should not be slipping and sliding around a field on a clear sunny day.
Has somebody else been using the field? Is there a possible reason for the condition other than weather or shoddy maintenance?

Old 09-25-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_junior View Post
Has somebody else been using the field? Is there a possible reason for the condition other than weather or shoddy maintenance?
The last event at Fed-Ex was the Bucs pre-season game as far as I can tell. There may have been a concert or somethign, but google isn't showing me anything quickly. VA Tech plays Cinci there on Saturday coming up. I think it is just being poorly maintained or the team is skimping on the sod.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
The last event at Fed-Ex was the Bucs pre-season game as far as I can tell. There may have been a concert or somethign, but google isn't showing me anything quickly. VA Tech plays Cinci there on Saturday coming up. I think it is just being poorly maintained or the team is skimping on the sod.
Based on this there is no excuse for the field to be in the condition we saw Sunday. And it surprises me, honestly, because I see Danny as the kind of owner who would spend (and overspend) for the best field management money can buy.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Based on this there is no excuse for the field to be in the condition we saw Sunday. And it surprises me, honestly, because I see Danny as the kind of owner who would spend (and overspend) for the best field management money can buy.
That's exactly what he wants you to believe. I stopped buying into "Danny the Superfanowner" who only wants to win about 5 years ago. He wants to sell hope and if we win, awesome, but he ain't any different from any of the other greedy bastages that run the league. The field conditions Sunday were a disgrace.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Medicine Man

Quote:
Quote:
West Virginia (I think your familair with that school Keino) and James Madison played a game there Sept 15th. I would agree that the field is poorly maintained. IMO it looks dry and needs to be watered.

Deeds, not Words

Old 09-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Chief

I Don't care if they play on cement as long as they win.

Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it."
—Mark Twain

“If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, “Roll, Tide, Roll!”

Paul"Bear"Bryant

Old 09-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Healer

Quote:
More on the turf at FedEx Field

http://www.sandhillturf.com/AthleticFields.asp

Old 09-25-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSkin View Post
More on the turf at FedEx Field

http://www.sandhillturf.com/AthleticFields.asp
Yeah .....well I've only got one question for those guys ..... WHY is there so much sand in the base. You can see it being kicked up as the players run and that ain't natural.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Yeah .....well I've only got one question for those guys ..... WHY is there so much sand in the base. You can see it being kicked up as the players run and that ain't natural.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhill Turf
All of our certified turfgrass sod and sprigs are grown on fumigated, 90% sand based soil...
Wow, no kidding Patrick, 90% sand? I'm no turf expert, but that sounds extremely high to me as well.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Runner

The sand is so that water can drain through the field quickly. Start running on a field with water and that is the death of natural turf. The problem is that these 90% sand fields are meant to play 10-15 football games on them a year. UVA has one of these fields and mainly use it for UVA Football, and their field is top notch.

Fedex is used for NFL, college, HS (not much college and HS but there is some), as well as concerts and a few other events each year. It is overused for one of those types of fields. They either need to go to a turf that is meant for heavy traffic, reduce the amount of events at fedex, or move away from natural turf.

As it is, they sod it once a year and paint the field green multiple times a year. The key to upkeep on these heavy sand fields is minimal use, and when someone is offering Dan Snyder money to hold a concert at Fedex. He is seeing green, just that green isnt beautiful natural turf for the beloved Redskins to play on.