Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hR General Sports Fan Forums > Sioux General Sports Tribe

Old 10-08-2004, 09:27 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDaSchmoe
So, we've got ourselves a little conundrum now that the Expos are coming to DC. What are they going to be called? No one wants to keep the name Expos, and that has nothing to do with Washington anyway, so it's as good as gone. There are already plenty of people debating this issue, so, heck hR might as well join in.

The biggest movement (apparently) is to go back to Washington's last two baseball teams and name them the Senators. There are a few problems with that. The first two attempts didn't go so well, for starters. The Rangers still technically own the rights to "Washington Senators," according to MLB's lawyers. And, as Mayor Williams pointed out, it seems strange for the team to be called the Senators when Washington has been refused representation in the Senate time and time again.

So what else is there? Michael Wilbon supports the Grays, harkening back to the old Negro League team that played in DC. Problem is, they weren't the Washington Grays, they were the Homestead Grays. Homestead is a small area in Pennsylvania, and the Grays split their time between there, Washington, and Pittsburgh. The other issue is that the team's colors will almost certainly be red, white, and blue, making "Grays" more than a little misleading.

Going back even further, DC's baseball club in the early part of the century was named the Nationals. Personally, I like that more than Senators or Grays, but it does face a unique problem: People will almost instantly shorten the name to "Nats," which sounds just like "gnats." I don't know about you, but I'm not a big fan of tiny bugs.

Beyond those three, there are other, less talked about name ideas. The Washington Monuments is good for a few laughs, but not very realistic. The Washington Generals is a bit better, but just doesn't seem very baseball-ish, and would probably go better with a team colored green. The Washington Congressmen would give some love to the other house, but sounds pretty bad.

Personally, I think the Washington Revolutionaries has kind of a nice ring to it. A bit long, yes, but very American. Maybe DC Revolutionaries, or Washington Revolution, or something like that. The Washington Old Glory is pretty patriotic as well. The Washington Colonials might work. I wish New England didn't have the Patriots, because that would probably be the instant winner if its football cousin weren't already so famous.

What do y'all think about what the name should be? Any other bright ideas out there?
Joe, that is as good a post as I have read in a long time.

I like your names, but for marekting purposes, I would shorten them:

Washington Revolution
Washington Glory
Washington Union (my choice!)
A buffalo herd can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo & those are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole because the health of the herd keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. Similarly, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Intake of alcohol, killing the slowest & weakest brain cells first, makes the brain a faster, more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

Old 10-08-2004, 09:48 AM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinsDave
The Grays stinks. What the hell's a Gray? They came from Pittsburgh (Homestead actually) and did not play all of their home games in D.C. Luckily the new owners make the call on the name so Williams attempt to politicize the name Senators can go by the wayside.
I'm guessing you like the name senators even though it makes no sense at all. We don't have senators. Maybe they should be called the shadow senators.

Old 10-08-2004, 01:43 PM

Location: Lawn Guyland, NY (my heart will always be in Arlington, Va)

Last I checked there are 100 Senators in Washington.

Old 10-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Great Spirit

Easy Dave.
A buffalo herd can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo & those are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole because the health of the herd keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. Similarly, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Intake of alcohol, killing the slowest & weakest brain cells first, makes the brain a faster, more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

Old 10-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
They may be IN Washington, but none of them represent, or are from Washington.
"We the People, of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Preamble - United States Constitution

Old 10-08-2004, 02:15 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Mike
They may be IN Washington, but none of them represent, or are from Washington.
Isn't that a job for Representatives?

Old 10-08-2004, 03:03 PM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Come on dave, that makes it even worse. You know that those senators don't have a damn thing to do with us... Or I'm sorry, ME! Those senators don't do a damn thing to represent the district. But we as residents definitely get taxed for it though. BS dave, bs. Might as well name us the Washington k..... no wait, we've already got the wizards! nevermind.

Old 10-08-2004, 11:14 PM
Great Spirit

I don't know why I'm getting props for a post that does nothing more than sum up a debate about names, but, hey, why complain?

I've heard a couple rumors that they'll keep Expos until someone buys the team, meaning that they could very well be the Washington Expos next season. Say it ain't so....

Santana Moss
Colt Brennan
Anthony Montgomery
Fred Smoot

Old 10-20-2004, 05:03 PM
Hunter

How about the Wasahington Obelisks?

Makes for a cool mascot, anyway.

Old 10-21-2004, 10:35 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
How about the Washington Yeah-I-Was-Born-And-Raised-Here-Sorry-Your-Town-Sucked-And-You-Had-To-Move-Here-So-Quitcherbitchins.
A-freaking-men, brother!

Old 10-21-2004, 10:37 AM
Great Spirit

Dave's excellent suggestion aside, I am on record for Washington Nationals. The name Senators was always being shortened to 'Nats anyway and with the Nationals you could still do that. Plus, it sidesteps that whole "Senators will be a three-time loser" chitchat that we could all do without.

Washington Nationals.

Got a nice ring to it.

Old 10-21-2004, 10:39 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence
Dave's excellent suggestion aside, I am on record for Washington Nationals. The name Senators was always being shortened to 'Nats anyway and with the Nationals you could still do that. Plus, it sidesteps that whole "Senators will be a three-time loser" chitchat that we could all do without.

Washington Nationals.

Got a nice ring to it.
Especially since they will still be in the National League!

Old 10-21-2004, 01:46 PM
Great Spirit

Wait, wait, ISF and Spence.... agreeing?

Santana Moss
Colt Brennan
Anthony Montgomery
Fred Smoot

Old 10-21-2004, 02:22 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDaSchmoe
Wait, wait, ISF and Spence.... agreeing?
Typically we do quite a lot of that outside of the Potomac. Wouldn't you agree Spence?

Old 10-21-2004, 02:29 PM
Runner

the dumb route to go would be to make them the blue sox! get it...red, white and blue sox...ha....guess that wasnt funny. but i think for now theyre just gonna stick with the expos and make them the washington expos, but i hope not cause that doesnt sound too good.

6-10 oh well always the #9 pick in the draft.....