Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > Mohican Draft Tribe

Why O-line is a priority Part II
Old 11-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Healer

Default Why O-line is a priority Part II

These are the reasons I think the Skins will draft O-line in the 1st rd come April.

1. The System, Gibbs has always based his team and his offense on a dominating run blocking group that form the heart of the team. We need an O-line that is going to be feared and will punish people in the run game.

2. The Personnel Diffrences, The O-line right now has 2 dominat run blockers in Dockery and Jansen and 2 athletic pass blockers in Samuels and Thomas. I am not impressed with Samuels run blocking or his killer instinct something the Dirt Bags must have. We need to have guys who can push the pile they don't have to be able to hold up on an island in pass protection because they usually have help not like when Spurrier was here and we need stud pass blockers like Samuels and Thomas.

3. Samuels Contract, This think is a salary cap time bomb and he says he will restructure it after the season the problem is that Samuels will still want more money then he is worth. Samuels is worth what jansen gets about 3 million a year but is he going to want to get paid 1/3 of what he makes now. He will want Ogden money and if you want Ogden money you better dominate in every aspect of the game.

4. Its a Safe Pick, D-line in the 1st is a risky pick look at all the d-line buusts in hostory it is far greater a number then the number of o-line busts. Look at the 03 draft class 14 d-linemen taken and maybe 2 are really good right now.

5. Our D-line is playing well, why would we want to mess with something that isn't broken. Even if we draft a 1st rd d-linemen would you start him and risk messing uo the chemistry we have going right now. What we need is young depth and people for the futurer all something that can be adressed in rounds 2 and 3.

6. The O-line in 06, Lets face it in 06 some tough decisions are going ot have to be made as players cap numbers begin to climb. In 06 here are the cap numbers for the o-line Samuels {11 mil}, Thomas 5{mil}, Jansen {5 mil}, and we still have to resign Dockery that is to much to hae invested on the o-line in just 3 guys. We are going to lose at least 1 of these guys and at a key position it is important to have good players still around.

7. OL make less the DL, we have a lot of oney invested and we can save some by drafting an OL who make less then DL do when they are drafted.

8. Jansen's Injury, a torn achilles is a serious injury and who knows how well he will come back. If he is back and he reinjured the achilles in week 2 do we dare go through another year with revolve a veteran at a key position like RT. If we draft a big mean OL like Elton Brown and Jansen is not ready we have a stud to play for him.

Old 11-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Healer

I just have to disagree. We drafted 2 offensive lineman last year and 1 the year before that. We have a offensive line coach with a history of developing late round picks into solid players. We have too many other needs going into this years draft (QB, DL) to use a first rounder on one of our strengths. Now thats all mute if Samuels is gone at the end of this season but if not I think we need to continue to look at DL or QB.

Old 11-08-2004, 06:44 PM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggySkins
I just have to disagree. We drafted 2 offensive lineman last year and 1 the year before that. We have a offensive line coach with a history of developing late round picks into solid players. We have too many other needs going into this years draft (QB, DL) to use a first rounder on one of our strengths. Now thats all mute if Samuels is gone at the end of this season but if not I think we need to continue to look at DL or QB.
Do you want to take a 1st rd QB?

Old 11-08-2004, 06:59 PM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradCountry
Do you want to take a 1st rd QB?
Not particularly but given the choice between a QB and a OL I would feel better about grabbing a young QB to develop. I personally think we need to look at the secondary (Antrell Rolle) or on the DL. Until Smoot is locked up long term I think we need to keep an eye at the CB position.

Old 11-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggySkins
Not particularly but given the choice between a QB and a OL I would feel better about grabbing a young QB to develop. I personally think we need to look at the secondary (Antrell Rolle) or on the DL. Until Smoot is locked up long term I think we need to keep an eye at the CB position.
Why spend a 1st rd pick on d-linemen when we don't need a stud pass rusher, everyone thinks that Gregg Williams won't blitz as much if we have David Pollack rushing the passer. The thruth is when he was in Buffalo he didn't have a stud pass rusher and even when Schobel got good he still blitz all the time. We need young d-linemen that can do what Wynn does over star d-linemen.

Old 11-08-2004, 09:48 PM
Chief

To be honest, this is all kinda mute until we find out where we land in the draft. My prediction is somewhere to the middle, or further down. If an absolute stud OL comes our way, then I say get him. This team needs to dominate at the trenches on both sides of the ball. Whether its FA or draft, the lines need to be addressed. I think Bugel will have the 2 young OL drafted last year into pressing for starting time if Samuels is gone. I think Samuels will be out of here next year, too much money for no return. Has anyone heard anything on Jansen's rehab or healing progress?

Good Riddence
Old 11-23-2004, 07:35 AM
Papoose

Default Good Riddence

I hope Samuels is gone after this season. The last two years he hasn't been the same player he once was. He is no longer a Pro Bowl caliber lineman. In fact he has stunk the past two seasons in two systems that are completely different. If he shined in one and then struggled in the other I could say it was a poor fit with the system but he has struggled in both. In this past Eagles game he blatently holds and then still lets his man get a shot on Ramsey. I mean if you are going to grab the guys jersey and obviously hold then you have to at least keep your QB clean. Getting a 10 yard penalty and letting Ramsey take a shot is a worst case scenario type of play and Samuels found a way to make it happen. I'm glad to see they are starting Mark Wilson this week, hopefully that is a sign the coaching staff is pleased with his play since they are inserting him into the lineup over veteran backups Lennie Friedman and Vaughn Parker. As someone mentioned earlier, given Buges history it is not unlikely that he can mold someone like Wilson into a solid starter to compliment real Pro Bowlers like Randy Thomas and Jon Jansen as well as a strong prospect like Derrick Dockery.

I'd like to see the Skins go best player available (unless we lose Smoot, then take Rolle). Also I feel we need a Center like Ben Wilkerson from LSU or Vince Carter from OU which we could probably get in the 3rd round as good centers will usually be available in round 3.

Old 11-23-2004, 07:43 AM
Shaman

I agree that OLine a need, but I think we'll trade down and get extra picks to replinish our draft. Gibbs will find some gems this year in the later rounds.

Old 11-23-2004, 04:30 PM
Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradCountry
Why spend a 1st rd pick on d-linemen when we don't need a stud pass rusher, everyone thinks that Gregg Williams won't blitz as much if we have David Pollack rushing the passer. The thruth is when he was in Buffalo he didn't have a stud pass rusher and even when Schobel got good he still blitz all the time. We need young d-linemen that can do what Wynn does over star d-linemen.
And when he was in Tennessee he had a stud pass rusher by the name of
Jevon Kearse.

Old 11-25-2004, 02:34 PM
Brave

To say williams doesnt want a good pass rusher is dumb, every coach wants a stud pass rusher, a stud pass rusher would make our D that much better, I say draft d line, hopefully one of our young O lineman we drafted last year can turn out to be solid players

Old 11-25-2004, 08:05 PM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by split3clemente
To say williams doesnt want a good pass rusher is dumb, every coach wants a stud pass rusher, a stud pass rusher would make our D that much better, I say draft d line, hopefully one of our young O lineman we drafted last year can turn out to be solid players
The young o-linemen we drafted last year couldn't even beat out a shell of an old man in Ray Brown.

If we want tor un the Gibbs offence we need stud o-linemen and that is the bottom line. You want to pound the ball on the ground you need ground pounding o-linemen I think 6'6" 338lbs Elton Brown has crushed a few blades of grass in his time.