Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Offensive explosion discussion
Old 12-05-2004, 06:35 PM
Comanchero

Default Offensive explosion discussion

I decided to make this thread with the idea of discussing the explosion of our offense and why it happened.

There's the obvious reasons, fewer penalties, solid o-line, rb, qb, WR play, no turnovers, etc etc

However, I really wanted to focus on what Joe Gibbs did over the past week.

He completely revamped our running game; it was amazing how different it looked, but that imbecile Bill Maas was correct in saying we threw every kind of run at them.

The most amazing invention that I saw from Gibbs today involved his counter-tre

We've been talking about how this doesn't work as well for Portis because of his speed.

I only saw this certain play run once this game, but I know it will be run more in the future.

Portis lined up at normal depth; 5-6 yards, except instead of being behind the QB, he was lined up behind the guard and tackle that were going to pull.

This game him 1-2 seconds more to find the hole he was going to go through, and he picked up 8 yards

It's this kind of innovation that makes Gibbs possibly the greatest offensive mind to ever coach football.

He used Betts absolutely brilliantly, at just the right times - after spreading the field, and then he'd cram it down the Giants throat.

Overall an amazing job by Coach Gibbs, good execution and everything, but amazing play calling all game long.

Last edited by inevitable : 12-05-2004 at 06:38 PM.

Old 12-05-2004, 06:37 PM
Hunter

Good Post. What I loved was seeing Coach Gibbs finally smile at the end. That made me finally smile.

-Redskins Stats-
#2 Offense and #4 Defense in Football

Old 12-05-2004, 06:43 PM

gibbs definitely changed some things around to properly utilize portis' skills. plus he ran hard and followed his blocking. when everyone does their job properly, we win. simple as that.

it also helped to play a very, very depleted giants defense.

~R.I.P Sean Taylor 1983-2007~

Old 12-05-2004, 07:10 PM
Scalper

The lack of penalties and dropped passes were huge. I can't remember smiling about a Skins win like this in a long time. Hell of a game!!

Old 12-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Healer

The Game was perfectly called by Gibbs and Ramsey executed what we needed him to execute.

Old 12-05-2004, 07:39 PM
Spirit

Did anyone notice that Joe gibbs slipped in a few plays that were zone blocks....

He disguided them with motion to make them look like counters....

Gibbs is briiliant!!!!!!!

Old 12-05-2004, 07:41 PM
Moderator / 3 PEAT [2010-2011-2012] hR Fantasy NBA Champion

I'm still in shock....that was Joe Gibbs football at it's finest! Ramsey man did he execute or what. I realize that by utilizing Portis effectively, Ramseys job was made alot easier btu it was nice to see on O or a change. We will finish the season with 2, if not 3 more wins IMO. Follow that with a productive draft and smart free agency and we should be much improved next year.

Old 12-05-2004, 07:47 PM
Spirit

Ramsey was beautiful today

That play where he threw that touchdown that was called back was the best play of his career.

That kid deserves some praise this week...Brunell has no games that measure up to that one....

Old 12-05-2004, 07:49 PM
2006 and 2010 Fantasy NASCAR Champ!!

On "Post Game Live" they asked Dockery what the difference was this week.
He said that they believed they could get it done.

[Same show]Portis said that the whole offense was learning at the same time,but making mistakes at different times.It has taken awhile to get it all together.

Considering both of these statements,I'd agree and say that they were suffering from a lack of confidence.They were determined to move the ball and score,and they did!

Now it's time for consistancy.Do It Again!

Old 12-05-2004, 07:52 PM
HR's Mom

The only thing we need to change...making sure the guys blocking for Portis get the hell outta his way sooner....he was running over his own guys (again) to get those extra yards!

Old 12-05-2004, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimreaper007
That play where he threw that touchdown that was called back was the best play of his career.
I was at the game and that play was a beauty. Rams scrambled to the right of the field, Cooley broke open on the left, Ramsey threw a perfect pass across his body about 30 yds across the field and Cooley ran like a charging bull into the end zone. Then it got called back, but Rams and Cooley were not to be denied.

Old 12-05-2004, 09:01 PM
Ghost Dancer

I think the fact that our WR's had ZERO drops really helped things out. Suddenly guys had confidence and Ram even threw two or three passes off target that were caught. I'll give it to RG, he made a tough jumping catch but then a few plays later let that skinny punk will allen break up a pass intended for him. I still think RG is gone next year but overall I think the WR's played a huge part in helping the offense click. They were Ram's safety valve.

Old 12-05-2004, 10:00 PM
Sagamore

Portis started this whole thing... I think his hard work that first drive set the tone for the whole offense. We can thank a poor Gints run defense for that.

Old 12-05-2004, 11:00 PM
Comanchero

great post...i loved what gibbs did too...keep it up baby

Take a look at my BCS vs Playoffs article in the college sports forum

Old 12-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by inevitable
I decided to make this thread with the idea of discussing the explosion of our offense and why it happened.

There's the obvious reasons, fewer penalties, solid o-line, rb, qb, WR play, no turnovers, etc etc

However, I really wanted to focus on what Joe Gibbs did over the past week.

He completely revamped our running game; it was amazing how different it looked, but that imbecile Bill Maas was correct in saying we threw every kind of run at them.

The most amazing invention that I saw from Gibbs today involved his counter-tre

We've been talking about how this doesn't work as well for Portis because of his speed.

I only saw this certain play run once this game, but I know it will be run more in the future.

Portis lined up at normal depth; 5-6 yards, except instead of being behind the QB, he was lined up behind the guard and tackle that were going to pull.

This game him 1-2 seconds more to find the hole he was going to go through, and he picked up 8 yards

It's this kind of innovation that makes Gibbs possibly the greatest offensive mind to ever coach football.

He used Betts absolutely brilliantly, at just the right times - after spreading the field, and then he'd cram it down the Giants throat.

Overall an amazing job by Coach Gibbs, good execution and everything, but amazing play calling all game long.