Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Matt Bowens job status next year?
Old 12-08-2004, 05:15 PM
hR Owner

Question Matt Bowens job status next year?

I haven't read anything about this so its all speculation.

With the way Ryan Clark has played in the absence of Bowen, will Bowen be "given" his job back or will he have to fight Clark over it?

With that said, is Clark even signed for next year?

Either way, I think we're set for our safety postitions for the next few years.

Thoughts?

Old 12-08-2004, 05:17 PM
Healer

I think it will remain Bowen's job next year. Lets not forget how dominant Bowen was looking prior to the injury. The way he was playing at the start of this year had Pro Bowl year written all over it. Its a disappointment that he got hurt but I think its still his job to lose.

Old 12-08-2004, 05:21 PM
hR Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggySkins
I think it will remain Bowen's job next year. Lets not forget how dominant Bowen was looking prior to the injury. The way he was playing at the start of this year had Pro Bowl year written all over it. Its a disappointment that he got hurt but I think its still his job to lose.
Excellent point Shaggy. But.....I remember Bowen used to take the worse possible angles while persueing a play. He missed a lot of tackles due to that. I haven't noticed Clark making those type of mistakes. Or....perhaps they're not being talked about as much. Not sure though....

Old 12-08-2004, 05:23 PM
Firebuilder

yeah I'll have to agree with the preformance Bowen gave pre-injury he is #1 for starting next year. Like so many guys who came in to fill the shoes of injured defensive players this season Clark has been fantastic. I seriously can't get over the fact that no matter what adversity we face with injuries guys keep stepping up to fill or exceed what we'd expect of the starters!

Old 12-08-2004, 05:30 PM
hR Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising270
yeah I'll have to agree with the preformance Bowen gave pre-injury he is #1 for starting next year. Like so many guys who came in to fill the shoes of injured defensive players this season Clark has been fantastic. I seriously can't get over the fact that no matter what adversity we face with injuries guys keep stepping up to fill or exceed what we'd expect of the starters!
Welcome to hR Cruising270! Hope you'll hang around and become a regular!

Old 12-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Great Spirit

I think it'll be Bowen's job next year, but I don't expect Gibbs to tell him that. It'll be a competition between these two to get the best out of them. I agree Mike, I'm very satisfied with our safety position.

"Some people try to find things in this game that don't exist. Football is only two things - blocking and tackling." - Vince Lombardi

Old 12-08-2004, 05:40 PM
Sagamore

could ryan clark become a cb?

Old 12-08-2004, 05:45 PM
Firebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarMike
Welcome to hR Cruising270! Hope you'll hang around and become a regular!
Thanks for the warm welcome man! Its nice to find a bunch of fellow die hard skins fans. There's way to many fair weather fans in bars and on the streets that don't even know the game. I like the depth you guys get into here and its refreshing to see at the same time its not always one sided and there still is some reality/honesty.

Anyway back to the subject before I get banned
I think Gibbs will not announce him right away as starter either, he will definitly wait and make a player earn his position. But when the chips fall I do expect to see Bowen starting even if Clark give a comprable preformance.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:02 PM
Spirit

It's all about competition. There will be competition for this position. I like the article bowen just wrote in the Wash Times. He's been spending his off-season studying the game and becoming a thinking football player. That might get him to a new level. He's going to have to earn his way back.

The best news is that we don't have to draft a safety. Perhaps we can get a DE or two in the draft.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:04 PM
Sachem

The way GW likes to use different packages I don't think it will matter too much if Bowen is not a starter. However, to answer the question, Bowen will probably remain the starter.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:12 PM
Great Spirit

im gonna say ade jimoh comes in out of nowhere and plays like ronnie lott

seriously, competition during the offseason, but ryan clark as a CB sounds good.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Shaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoot
could ryan clark become a cb?
I may be wrong but I believe ryan clark is traditionally a corner back and is filling in at safety. If you look at his size you will notice he is a little small for strong safety. With his flexibility - I think we will hold onto him and he will remain a great backup in the secondary.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:24 PM
Comanchero

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspring
I may be wrong but I believe ryan clark is traditionally a corner back and is filling in at safety. If you look at his size you will notice he is a little small for strong safety. With his flexibility - I think we will hold onto him and he will remain a great backup in the secondary.
he was a corner with the giants...but we are using him as a safety...i believe he made the team as a "db" niether position listed

Take a look at my BCS vs Playoffs article in the college sports forum

Old 12-08-2004, 06:27 PM
HR's Mom

MIIIICHEAL DON'T MAKE ME COME DOWN THERE...Ryan get me my rolling pin.

Matt Bowen played the wrong position last year (Which was it? Free safety as opposed to Strong Safety or vise versa?) anyway, they put him where he was more comfortable this season, and that's why we saw great things from him before he got hurt.

How many sacks did he have this year already? It stinks that I can't find the stats anywhere

Old 12-08-2004, 06:27 PM
Scalper

To me, the Ryan Clark story is one of the greatest of the year. If you read that Post article on what happened to him it makes it great that he is here and doing so well. Honestly, I was afraid he couldn't cut it. But he has and it makes me really happy for him. And us. I want to see RC be a Skin with some good playing time next year, wherever he plays. And if he is a CB by nature, then his value to the team is actually very great.