Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

wr situation
Old 01-13-2005, 06:49 PM
Runner

Default wr situation

Heres the lowdown guys.

Gardner: Gardner is gone plain and simple, no more chances and no more dropped passes thank god. Have fun in baltimore or wherever.

Thrash: I like thrash hes a great redskin type player with alot of heart. That being said he will never be a 1 or 2 receiver. He's not good enough. He showed it in philly were they let him go instead of pinkston! And philly had a good line good run game, and a good qb and he still couldn't do much. Therefore he will always be a 3rd wr. He's a good one too.

Jacobs: I like jacobs i do but i dont think we can take another season like the last one. And he hasn't shown that he could step up and be that 2nd wr. Im scared he will be like gardner. He can also be a good 3rd like thrash. Great 4th if gibbs ever goes 4 wide.

That is our wide receiver situation guys and thats not good. You have to have something in some way taking the pressure of coles and stop team from loading the box on portis. And jacobs and thrash dont scare anyone.

Solution: Heath Miller or Mike Williams/braylon edwards.

Miller will make teams have to worry about him. He can break one big and can catch anything. It will definitely keep teams from loading the box on portis which is crucial. Also a good blocker.

Mike Williams is a beast. He has great hands and has the ability to be a #1 wr, and will be an excellent #2. He breaks tackles and goes up and gets big catches. Has a nose for the ball like sean taylor does on defense. Something you cant teach.

Both of these guys are endzone threats something we really need bad. Sooner or later teams are going to double cover cooley in the endzone, and what are we going to do then. Especially with mccants gone.

Braylon Edwards is also a big play guy that will help open things up with his speed and jumping ability. I wouldn't mind getting him if wiliams is gone. Just doesn't seem like he'll break anything though. And i think a team that had only 4 40 yard plays or more needs a break away guy.

Last edited by Gibbs4Life : 01-13-2005 at 07:19 PM.

Old 01-13-2005, 06:51 PM
Sagamore

whats your opinion on Troy Williamson?

Old 01-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Shaman

From what I've heard on Edwards, he's a bigger version of Rod Gardner. Pass on that. If Mike Williams isn't there, I'm an advocate of trading down and selecting trench help.

And what do you mean another season like "the one."? Whenever Jacobs was put into an opportunity to make plays, he made plays. He blocked a punt, came close to blocking others, played hard on ST, and when he was involved in the offense, he did his job.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:05 PM
Spirit

Very thorough post,

I disgaree with some of your WR assessments but I do respect your opinion.

Taylor Jacobs will blossom this year as the #3. Thrash is a solid 4th WR. I would Prefer Coles be a #2 WR and I would love to see Porter or Muhammad as the #1 WR. I am not a fan of plexi-glass Buress and he needs to show me something in the playoffs...before I jump on that bandwagon.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:11 PM
Warrior

I agree that we'll move Gardener (probably for a #3). But I think we'll pick up an affordable FA WR. In the draft we'll focus on the Big Men.
#1 Coles
#2 Jacobs
#3 FA
#4 Thrash & Brown
and portis a situational Z
Hopefully we'll have a late round or UFA receiver make the team as well.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:13 PM
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoot
whats your opinion on Troy Williamson?
He's WAY over hyped!

Old 01-13-2005, 07:18 PM
Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs4Life
Jacobs: I like jacobs i do but i dont think we can take another season like the one. And he hasn't shown that he could step up and be that 2nd wr. Im scared he will be like gardner. He can also be a good 3rd like thrash. Great 4th if gibbs ever goes 4 wide.
Umm...Jacobs hardly got in this year. When he did, he made things happen. He had one of like 3 passes over 40 yards and He caught 16 passes (9 for 1st downs) and played strong special teams. I think Jacobs can be a #2, but he only saw significant time on special teams and the last couple of games. I don't think he can be written off just yet. He's young and cheap and shows promise. I'm not ready to write him off yet.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by openallnight
He's WAY over hyped!
On this board? Never.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:25 PM
Spirit

At this time of year everyone is overhyped....

According to all the mike williams backers he is 8 feet tall, jumps buildings with ease and eats cement pancakes for breakfast.

The hype machines are on idle at the moment but they will be at full blast by march.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:29 PM
Runner

You guys got me wrong im not downing on jacobs i like him. But he just doesnt seem like #2 material. I could be wrong, its very possible. But even if he is i dont see him opening up an offense the way heath miller or williams could.

You just look at williams and miller and you know there going to be special players. I just dont get that same feeling when i look at taylor jacobs. Im not saying he can't develope and get better. Im just saying that where in a position to really help ourselves out on offense and i think these guys can do it.

Also i wouldn't mind picking up mushin either he, will be great in our offense. We could have an awsome combo. Like ward/burress in pitt, or mushin/smith in carolina.

Imagine this though, 1 mushin 2 coles 3 jacobs 4 thrash. Te: cooley and miller
rb: portis.

and if we trade down to get miller we can pick up that second round pick to get a center. That would be nice.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:31 PM
Runner

i saw mike williams slay a dragon once. Thats got to count for something.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:33 PM
Shaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimreaper007
Very thorough post,

Taylor Jacobs will blossom this year as the #3. Thrash is a solid 4th WR. I would Prefer Coles be a #2 WR and I would love to see Porter or Muhammad as the #1 WR. I am not a fan of plexi-glass Buress and he needs to show me something in the playoffs...before I jump on that bandwagon.
I'd rather have Coles as a number 1 than either of those guys (except Burress if he can stay healthy.) Porter just has more TDs on Coles and Muhsin is 32 years old. 32 is old for a #1 wide receiver, and he wasn't even the projected #1 heading into this year.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:47 PM
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs4Life
You guys got me wrong im not downing on jacobs i like him. But he just doesnt seem like #2 material. I could be wrong, its very possible. But even if he is i dont see him opening up an offense the way heath miller or williams could.

You just look at williams and miller and you know there going to be special players. I just dont get that same feeling when i look at taylor jacobs. Im not saying he can't develope and get better. Im just saying that where in a position to really help ourselves out on offense and i think these guys can do it.

Also i wouldn't mind picking up mushin either he, will be great in our offense. We could have an awsome combo. Like ward/burress in pitt, or mushin/smith in carolina.

Imagine this though, 1 mushin 2 coles 3 jacobs 4 thrash. Te: cooley and miller
rb: portis.

and if we trade down to get miller we can pick up that second round pick to get a center. That would be nice.
Cooley is a FB/HB that is often used as a receiver on passing downs. Gibbs TEs need to be Big, Strong and GREAT Blockers. They're used infrequently as pass options. Every so often he'll sneak them out in a pattern but, they are definately not primary targets in the passing game. I don't think Miller would be the best fit for our offense.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:49 PM
Runner

i dont know who this miller te guy is but is he a fast T/E or a blocking t/e cause if he isnt like kellon winslow or a gates i dont want em we got enough Tight Ends

Old 01-13-2005, 07:52 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimreaper007
Very thorough post,

Yup. I was a little taken back by the harshness on Jacobs. Jacobs has not played much because they have not given him opportunities, but Gibbs made the move in Minnesota that could bode well for Thrash and Jacobs in 2005.

What Thrash gives you is dependability. He is also a thread because he is a crafty, gutsy, hard working veteran and putting a third or foruth CB on him could be extremely beneficial to us.

As for HJacobs, I see way more upswing in this kid than I see any down swing. He is going to be good, has great hands and good speed. We have not see the big time Jacobs yet, but my bet is, we will next season.

I agree, Gardner needs to go and will go.