Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 03-04-2005, 02:31 PM
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf1218
right now we have going into this season is (no receiver needed):
1. Gardner
2. Coles
3. Dmac
4. Thrash
5. Jacobs
6. Patten
but really it might end up soon being like this (1 or 2 receivers needed):
1. Dmac
2. Thrash
3. Jacobs
4. Patten
and possibly just these few (2 or 3 receivers needed):
1. Thrash
2. Jacobs
3. Patten
To be safe, I would say yes we could use another receiver.
What about:
Brown and Black . . .

Old 03-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Warrior

it would be nice to get a posession reciever we have lots of speed Coles/Moss, Jacobs, Patten and even Thrash..........If the Vikings snag Burress we would have a chance of getting either him or Edwards at 9th.
but if Smoot is gone it will be hard to pass up on Pac Man or Rolle.
Williams would be so awsome

Old 03-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Healer

I think that is we get Moss we can officially live with the WR core that we will have, we can trade down and adress other needs.

Remember people we are a running team that needs servicable WRs.

Old 03-04-2005, 02:37 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by openallnight
What about:
Brown and Black . . .
we need dez white to go along with brown and black.

Old 03-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Hunter

We need a true #1 reciever. Moss is not going to cut it. He was demoted to #3 on his own team why do we think he can be our #1. Coles is a much better reciever and we will probably trade him and not get the value that we need. We still need to address this position maybe in the draft or in the June cuts we will have to see.

Old 03-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Great Spirit

Coles wants out, Gardner is seeking a trade...that means we only have 2 receivers who have started in the NFL...Thrash and Patten.

Old 03-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroGenic
I was just thinking, we have David Patten, Taylor Jacobs and maybe Santana Moss... do we really need to sign a FA or draft one in the first round? I dunno about you guys, but our potential (potential cuz of coles) receiving core doesn't look too shabby at all. Ofcourse that's all on paper but still, maybe we could trade down now and draft a DE or sign a FA. Last year springs led the team in sacks and I find that kind of sad. The guy who is supposed to be covering receivers gets more sacks then the guy's who job it is to get sacks... Just a thought.
We are either going into next season with Coles/Patten or Moss/Patten.

Then there is the draft.

I don't think we need another FA WR.

Old 03-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Warrior

we are a running team not a passing team our wide-out core is fine

Patten
Old 03-04-2005, 04:08 PM
Banned

Default Patten

I must not have the big picture yet. Just for the record, I do not see why the Redskins would spend a 3.5 million dollar bonus on an average receiver with little chance of being an impact player.

Isn't this what Taylor Jacobs is? Isn't this what James Thrash is? As well as McCants? Here is a team that was in about 14 games at the 2 minute warning. That should tell Gibbs something: we don't need another average player, we need only 1 or 2 exceptional players. Bring back everybody except get 2 exceptional players and this team would be in the playoffs.

We are losing Gardner. If its about production.....then Gardner will be gone and his 50 catches will be replaced by less than 50 catches from Patten. Coles is injured and we can either bring him back or replace him with Moss, who I like, but still, just based on production we're replacing 90 catches with 45 catches.

How do these moves make us better? If it were me, Moss would be fine if we were replacing Gardner with Moss and keeping Coles. At least Moss has the deep threat possibility on every play. He is that fast....and he is young enough to improve every year for the next 4 years. Patton is 31 years old and doesn't appear to be getting "better". He has peaked...and thats with Tom Brady as QB and being in the same system for multiple years.

Now Patten will have Patrick Ramsey who can't throw the deep ball and he's in a new system that will take a while to grasp. Why did we sign an average receiver who will be 32 years old sometime this year?

This signing is profoundly confusing to me and I fail to see where the team has improved enough to even win 1 more game. All we have done is lock up 3.5 million dollars in cap money for a receiver who could catch 35-50 passes per season. Couldn't Thrash or Jacobs do that?

Old 03-04-2005, 04:24 PM
Firebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNCILMAN
I must not have the big picture yet. Just for the record, I do not see why the Redskins would spend a 3.5 million dollar bonus on an average receiver with little chance of being an impact player.

Isn't this what Taylor Jacobs is? Isn't this what James Thrash is? As well as McCants? Here is a team that was in about 14 games at the 2 minute warning. That should tell Gibbs something: we don't need another average player, we need only 1 or 2 exceptional players. Bring back everybody except get 2 exceptional players and this team would be in the playoffs.

We are losing Gardner. If its about production.....then Gardner will be gone and his 50 catches will be replaced by less than 50 catches from Patten. Coles is injured and we can either bring him back or replace him with Moss, who I like, but still, just based on production we're replacing 90 catches with 45 catches.

How do these moves make us better? If it were me, Moss would be fine if we were replacing Gardner with Moss and keeping Coles. At least Moss has the deep threat possibility on every play. He is that fast....and he is young enough to improve every year for the next 4 years. Patton is 31 years old and doesn't appear to be getting "better". He has peaked...and thats with Tom Brady as QB and being in the same system for multiple years.

Now Patten will have Patrick Ramsey who can't throw the deep ball and he's in a new system that will take a while to grasp. Why did we sign an average receiver who will be 32 years old sometime this year?

This signing is profoundly confusing to me and I fail to see where the team has improved enough to even win 1 more game. All we have done is lock up 3.5 million dollars in cap money for a receiver who could catch 35-50 passes per season. Couldn't Thrash or Jacobs do that?

AMEN!!!

Old 03-04-2005, 04:27 PM
bgforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyNRedskinsfan
i say yes.......if we do get moss, i wouldnt be surprised to see the skins trade down and grab a WR in the second, whoever that maybe.

ding,ding, ding, ding! TKO!

Its the second from a trade most likely, as we are leaning more to NOT taking a WR after all, if the Moss deal goes down. If the Moss deal is off the table, we take another WR, but the pulse move will be all Gibbs and he aint telling (which means it won't be in the first round).

Last edited by bgforever : 03-04-2005 at 04:30 PM.

Old 03-04-2005, 04:28 PM
Ghost Dancer

Trade down, pick up a 2nd and draft Chris Henry.

Old 03-04-2005, 04:33 PM
bgforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskinfan28
Trade down, pick up a 2nd and draft Chris Henry.
Now that is HIGHLY likely. Henry also is in the Coles/Patten/Thrash mold, but like Patten, Jacobs, can get upfield quickly and efficiently. Remember the idea is not to have focus on one player, that way your passing game doesn't flop when "joe blow" is out.

Old 03-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Warrior

We have the speed and that wil be great with Rams big arm (so you want to see deep balls) with our new O-Line we should be awsome. Screw Moss and keep Coles (this is very important) we need a posession reciever and we can use Coles (he will go over the middle) or Thrash in a pinch. But I repeat Williams Williams Williams..............if we keep Smoot and Barrow is healthy than we will have a shot

Old 03-04-2005, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNCILMAN

i want to make a little comparison really quickly....

coles- 10.6
gardner- 12.7

moss-18.6
patten- 18.2

those numbers represent the number of yards per catch fpr each receiver last season. that tells me that moss and patten have speed to get open and make plays down the field. gibbs offense relies on execution. if moss and patten can get open, catch and block, gibbs will be happy. im sure he has done his homework on these guys....

~R.I.P Sean Taylor 1983-2007~