Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > Mohican Draft Tribe

all of the receivers taken top 10, past 10 years .do you still want a receiver at 9??
Old 03-19-2005, 07:22 AM
Brave

Default all of the receivers taken top 10, past 10 years .do you still want a receiver at 9??

year pick name
95 4 michael westbrook
95 8 joey gallaoway
95 10 j.j. stokes

96 1 keyshan johnson
96 7 terry glenn

97 7 ike hilliard

99 6 torry holt
99 8 david boston

00 4 peter warrick
00 8 plaxio burress
00 10 travis taylor

01 8 david terrell
01 10 koren robinson

03 2 charles rodgers
03 3 andre johnson

04 7 roy williams

i see only two players here (roy williams and torry holt) that have justified them being drafted where they were , and roy williams has only played one year . if you want to predict the future , one has to look at history as what has happened in the past.

Good Research
Old 03-19-2005, 07:38 AM
Comanchero

Default Good Research

Good Research.

First round picks are a gamble. A lot of the guys seem to have primadonna attitudes and want a lot of money. Trade down and avoid the hassle and get a guy who wants to play everydown cheaper.

Old 03-19-2005, 08:12 AM
Medicine Man

You could do that analysis with any position and find similar results. There is not such thing as a sure thing in the NFL.

Old 03-19-2005, 08:49 AM
Sagamore

well first off, alot of your numbers are skewed so i dont know how credible this list is. for example, in 2004, larry fitzgerald was left off the list at the #3 pick. also, there is no randy moss on the list

Old 03-19-2005, 08:56 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpaint
year pick name
95 4 michael westbrook
95 8 joey gallaoway
95 10 j.j. stokes

96 1 keyshan johnson
96 7 terry glenn

97 7 ike hilliard

99 6 torry holt
99 8 david boston

00 4 peter warrick
00 8 plaxio burress
00 10 travis taylor

01 8 david terrell
01 10 koren robinson

03 2 charles rodgers
03 3 andre johnson

04 7 roy williams

i see only two players here (roy williams and torry holt) that have justified them being drafted where they were , and roy williams has only played one year . if you want to predict the future , one has to look at history as what has happened in the past.
Andre Johnson is a force. Larry Fitzgerald is also a very good player. Keyshawn was a great player for the Jets, then bulked up and lost all his speed. Terry Glenn still is a good player. Boston was a stud until he roided up. For early in their careers, I would take 9 of them(8 plus Larry Fitzgerald). Thats not a bad track record.

Old 03-19-2005, 08:57 AM
Runner

Moss wasnt a top 10 pick, he had character questions (believe that?) and fell to like 19.

I disagree with one thing, and that is that only Roy WIll and Torry Holt panned out. Andre Johnson (Texans) is an absolute beast and will be one of the best WR in the game next season and for the next decade.

But I also agree with you in that WR have a huge "miss rate". I say talk to a team with alot of picks (Philly, Bucs) and try to find someone to give us a handful of picks in the 2-4th rounds, which is where the real value of this draft is.

Old 03-19-2005, 09:02 AM
Sagamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houskin3
But I also agree with you in that WR have a huge "miss rate". I say talk to a team with alot of picks (Philly, Bucs) and try to find someone to give us a handful of picks in the 2-4th rounds, which is where the real value of this draft is.
is this not true for all positions? i dont think you can just criticize wide recievers

Old 03-19-2005, 09:04 AM
Spirit

Of course drafting at any position is a crap shoot, but the recent trend is that first round WRs do pan out. If you take your list and chop off years 95-01 you would be singing a different tune. Last year, despite some busts, there were some monster seasons for rookie WRs. Even those who didn't play well weere just rookies and still have plenty of time to prove themselves.

In the last two years you have three guys drafted in the top 10 Fitzgerald, Williams, and Johnson who all look like ProBowlers; one guy, Rodgers, who looks like the real deal when he's on the field, but he can't stay healthy--you can't predict injuries and can't accuse the Lions of drafting poorly; and one bust, Reggie Williams, who was just a rookie last year and so its too early to call him a poor draft pick.

Old 03-19-2005, 09:08 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny's stogie
Of course drafting at any position is a crap shoot, but the recent trend is that first round WRs do pan out. If you take your list and chop off years 95-01 you would be singing a different tune. Last year, despite some busts, there were some monster seasons for rookie WRs. Even those who didn't play well weere just rookies and still have plenty of time to prove themselves.

In the last two years you have three guys drafted in the top 10 Fitzgerald, Williams, and Johnson who all look like ProBowlers; one guy, Rodgers, who looks like the real deal when he's on the field, but he can't stay healthy--you can't predict injuries and can't accuse the Lions of drafting poorly; and one bust, Reggie Williams, who was just a rookie last year and so its too early to call him a poor draft pick.
Williams is another Top Ten pick that was left off this list.