Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 09-15-2005, 09:57 AM
Sachem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirthogs
The Jason Campbell pick was a Greg Williams pick, in the sense that Williams is the heir apparent for the HC job and Campbell will be Greg's guy. JC won't see the field unless the situation is really, really, really bad i.e. injuries or poor record. Gibbs master plan is to ride MB for 3-5 years retire, pass the team to Greg Williams and Campbell. Look at the first round picks ST, Carlos, who Williams wants to build the D around, along with Lavar, and Campbell a QB that Gibbs is hoping won't see the field while he's HC. Remember QB's usually take a min. of 3 years before they are NFL ready, Bibbs can't wait that long but Greg can.
You know, I really really really hope Greg Williams becomes the HC of this team when Joe retires, but it is just niave to think that GW will stick around for 4 more years when he is going to get an offer every single offseason, eventually the right one might come around. A lot can happen in 4 years. Also, riding Brunell for 3-5 years is just nuts. The man one maybe two years left in him. If Brunell is the starting QB come 2009, we will be the worst team in football.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:00 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Why did he draft ST instead of Winslow. How come Carlos insted of Mike Williams. Gibbs is tring to structure the Redskins to win now yes, but he's also tring to insure the long term success of the team, and that includes keeping Greg Williams happy. Unlike other coaches Gibbs knows he's not going to be here, as a HC for a decade, so I do believe he's keeping Williams happy and Williams will replace Gibbs as HC. It is a likly scenerio that JC does play a year or two under Gibbs, but I think it's worst case scenerio type situation.
We don't even know what GW's opinion of JC was before or after the draft. There is no indication that Joe even consulted with GW about drafting JC.

Joe is the one that worked him out at Auburn, not GW. How can you assert that JC is a GW pick?

It is time to Win
Old 09-15-2005, 10:01 AM
Papoose

Default It is time to Win

I simply think we can win with average QB if everyone else is above average. I think that is why coach did what he did. He saw Burnell do good last year against Dallas and because of the better talent he could bring the same showing as last year. When Washington and Dallas play emotions are high and you will need a cool headed qb to lead to win (No turnovers)

In reference to Jason, if Burnell can't do it let's give him some experince, with the line blocking the way that they are and portis running good so far. He could be successful because those are key parts to the offense. I think that is why Gibbs was frustrated because all positions where clicking except the qb.

Point blank GIBBS WANTS TO WIN.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:02 AM
Papoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaSkinsFan
Those are all players that will help us win now. To think that Joe drafted a QB so that GW will have a QB 4 years from now is ludicrous. It is even more obvious with the quick hook that Joe put on Patrick that JC's future will be sooner as opposed to later.

No one in the country has written that Joe drafted JC for GW.
Gibbs had the hook out quick because he wants MB to be the man so bad he can taste it. No one in the country has writen anything about it, due to the fact that most reporters aren't quick enough to think outside the obvious situation. Again I can see JC playing a year or two under Gibbs, but if Gibbs has his way MB would be his QB for 5 years then ride off into the sunset together. Agreed ST and Carlos are great young players that help now but Winslow and Williams were predicted to be great offensive players that could help now.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:06 AM
Papoose

Quote:
Why did he draft ST instead of Winslow. How come Carlos insted of Mike Williams. Gibbs is tring to structure the Redskins to win now yes, but he's also tring to insure the long term success of the team, and that includes keeping Greg Williams happy. Unlike other coaches Gibbs knows he's not going to be here, as a HC for a decade, so I do believe he's keeping Williams happy and Williams will replace Gibbs as HC. It is a likly scenerio that JC does play a year or two under Gibbs, but I think it's worst case scenerio type situation.
GW could leave tomorow if there is a HC position opening right now. It is not like we are a yearly playoff team and it is worth for him to wait around.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:10 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Gibbs had the hook out quick because he wants MB to be the man so bad he can taste it. No one in the country has writen anything about it, due to the fact that most reporters aren't quick enough to think outside the obvious situation. Again I can see JC playing a year or two under Gibbs, but if Gibbs has his way MB would be his QB for 5 years then ride off into the sunset together. Agreed ST and Carlos are great young players that help now but Winslow and Williams were predicted to be great offensive players that could help now.
Jason Campbell won't be here in 5 years if Brunell plays that long. He would go FA and leave. You don't draft a QB in the first round, giving up 3 picks to do so, to draft a QB for your successor, potential or otherwise.

And drafting Campbell shows that even Joe knows that Brunell doesn't have another 5 years in him. And even if he does, his contract will come to the point where he will have to be released.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:25 AM
Papoose

I completly understand were you guys are coming from. I agree that JC COULD play under Gibbs. Do you guys know for sure that Gibbs didn't talk to GW about drafting a QB, I don't know either way, do you think Gibbs would tell the press he did, I doubt it. No one knows what happens behind Gibbs office door except team officals. GW could very well leave at the end of the year, but I'll take him at his word which was he and his family love it in Washington and that he loves coaching under Gibbs. He said to the press this off season that he had no plans to leave Washington. Think about it why would you want to leave Washington, I know I'm not in the minority in thinking Washington is one of the best places to be the HC of a football team. Also if MB left at the end of last season we'd be in salary cap hell. If MB plays 5 of the 7 years on his contract the hit would be managable to the cap, i.e. Bruce Smith playing 3 of his 5 years.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:27 AM
Comanchero

Gotta be the shoes....

Old 09-15-2005, 10:44 AM
Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweepea436
Gotta be the shoes....
Sweepea, we can always count on you for your in depth reporting. LOL

Old 09-15-2005, 10:45 AM
Code Talker

I dont believe people are calling for Campbell because they think he is "it", its just that he is the only one that has not had a shot yet.

But will all due respect, I think he is currently the best quarterback on the team.

Old 09-15-2005, 11:12 AM
Comanchero

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsdude
Sweepea, we can always count on you for your in depth reporting. LOL
I'll be the first to tell you I have very little "intelligent" insight. It would take me a week to find the stats you guys have up here in minutes, if I could find them at all.........but one thing I CAN do, is blurt out the first thing that pops in to my head..... I'm good for that......

Old 09-15-2005, 11:12 AM
Spirit

I don't think anyone is convinced that Campbell is "it". If we all did then the HR in depth QB poll would look a lot different. That being said, drafting a QB in the early rounds gives a fan base hope that their team has unearthed the next Montana, Favre, etc. We all took the bait with Ramsey (especially after the Seahawks game), but now I think a lot of us are jaded and take a wait and see attitude.

The fact is however, that success in the NFL is disproportionately tied to the QB position and getting the QB that makes you a winner is pure luck. Almost all great QBs are obtained via the draft (there's no way in hell the Colts are letting Manning leave or the Pats letting Brady go anywhere else) and the draft is a pure crap-shoot, for every McNabb there are a dozen Tim Couches, Ryan Leafs, Akili Smiths, and Joey Harringtons. So in essence the success of the Eagles, Pats, Colts, and Falcons is nothing more than pure luck. So in my mind Campbell is nothing more than a lottery ticket, not the powerball, the odds are so bad why even bother playing, but more like the state lottery.

Old 09-15-2005, 11:41 AM
Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweepea436
I'll be the first to tell you I have very little "intelligent" insight. It would take me a week to find the stats you guys have up here in minutes, if I could find them at all.........but one thing I CAN do, is blurt out the first thing that pops in to my head..... I'm good for that......
Hey, keep it up, it's good to here from you.

Old 09-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
I'm not on the JC bandwagon yet. I thought a QB was a bad pick at that spot in the last years draft and that there were too many other positions we needed to address. And as the QB of the future I have some deep concerns. Yes the kid might have all the phyical tool but his last year in college he was surround by awesome players which made him look that much better. Geezz, TWO of the most productive RBs in the nation sitting in his backfield. ...... I hope for the Skins sake he works out and will be pulling for him BUT I just don't know and have some major concerns about him making as a starting (productive) NFL QB.

As a side note Patrick, he will have one of the most productive backs in the NFL to make him look good here.

Old 09-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Shaman

I'm convinced that Campbell has "it" just from Gibbs scouting him and wanting him on the team. However, I'm never convinced that successful college QB's can make it in the NFL until they do, because so many just suck at the pro level. I'm excited about having JC as franchise QB, but cautiously so.

And I meant every one of them." ~David Lynch