Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

My Letter to the Sports Editor of Washington Post
Old 12-22-2005, 09:54 AM

Default My Letter to the Sports Editor of Washington Post

Dear Sports Editor:

I am a Washingtonian, who has recently moved to Tampa. I am a die hard Redskins fan and I look to the online version of the Washington Post in addition to the fan website HailRedskins.com for my news and information related to all of my DC area teams. I travel from my new home city, to my old home city for every Redskins home game.

I must say, that I am extremely disappointed by one of your featured Sports columnists. For one, she has no connection to the City of Washington, other than her father being a former columnist for the Post. She lives in NY City. She never turns down an opportunity to write a scathing column highlighting what she perceives as ineptitude from the Washington Redskins and their front office and owner. Just 3 weeks ago, I read a November 30 Column by Jenkins in which she cited that the Redskins were "5-6 against the fifth-weakest schedule in the league". Don't you think there is a moral obligation on the part of your sports columnists to be factually correct if facts are used to support their opinion? The NFL says that the Redskins have one of the tougher schedules (Opponents combined record of 98-84) in the league, using the only stat that matters in sports, wins and losses. This includes games against four of the eight teams that currently lead their respective divisions.

Now keep in mind, I've never felt compelled to write and complain before, that is until today. The Redskins are in the midst of serious winning streak having just dismantled the most hated rival with the playoffs on the line and have moved from that 5-6 record she seemed to gleefully remind your readers about to 8-6 and sitting in control of their playoff destiny. So what do we get on December 22, two days before the biggest game ever to played at Fed-Ex Field? A Fluff Piece on the virtues of Tom Friggin Coughlin. Joe Gibbs has won Superbowls, Coughlin has won nothing. This is not the NY Post, which frankly speaking seems to be the perfect paper for a hack columnist of Jenkins' caliber. Perhaps, if Jenkins would like to extol the virtues of her hometown teams (New York) she should do it for a New York newspaper.
Sincerely,

Sean Keino Sanford
Just so I don't forget, I intend to remind the above poster about this quote.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:58 AM
Sachem

Yeah, I don't like her either.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:59 AM

Location: Lawn Guyland, NY (my heart will always be in Arlington, Va)

I think she should have written a peice on Johnny Damon. At least she lives in his team's town.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:01 AM
Great Spirit

Awesome, Keino. I, too, was appalled when I saw Eli Manning on the cover and a piece on Tom Coughlin written by who? - you guessed it: Sally Jenkins. This lady must really, really hate the Redskins. And you're right, Keino, if she wants to write about her hometown teams, do it in her hometown newspaper.

"Some people try to find things in this game that don't exist. Football is only two things - blocking and tackling." - Vince Lombardi

Old 12-22-2005, 10:07 AM
hR Staff Writer

I couldn't have said that better myself. In fact, if I had written a letter about Sally, it wouldn't have cleared the censors.
The one disappointment of the off-season housecleaning that brought Allen and Shanahan here is that they didn't part ways with Larry Michael as well. He is a prominent and unavoidable symbol of the horrible way Snyder and Cerrator ran this team in the past. Moving on to a new era of Redskins football, on and off the field, should have meant severing ties with him as well.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:13 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
I, too, was appalled when I saw Eli Manning on the cover and a piece on Tom Coughlin written by who? - you guessed it, Sally Jenkins. This lady must really, really hate the Redskins. And you're right, Keino, if she wants to write about her hometown teams, do it in her hometown newspaper.
Tell me you people aren't serious with this. Jenkins is a mediocre writer who I rarely read for just that reason, but you can't really think the piece on Coughlin was done because of a hatred of the Skins. I would bet my left arm is was an assignment given to here by the Post sports editor. Every week they write something about the team the Skins are playing, and since she lives in NY already (a side issue, to be sure) it makes perfect sense.
Don't you think if the Skins were 10-4 that Dave Anderson or somebody would be writing about how Joe Gibbs, one of the best in the business, has a struggling franchise back on the right track. I certainly do. And that wouldn't be done because he hated the Giants

Old 12-22-2005, 10:15 AM
Shaman

Nice job Keino!!! Let us know if you get a response.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:17 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_junior
Tell me you people aren't serious with this. Jenkins is a mediocre writer who I rarely read for just that reason, but you can't really think the piece on Coughlin was done because of a hatred of the Skins. I would bet my left arm is was an assignment given to here by the Post sports editor. Every week they write something about the team the Skins are playing, and since she lives in NY already (a side issue, to be sure) it makes perfect sense.
Don't you think if the Skins were 10-4 that Dave Anderson or somebody would be writing about how Joe Gibbs, one of the best in the business, has a struggling franchise back on the right track. I certainly do. And that wouldn't be done because he hated the Giants
You're the only person up here who thinks that. Do the research, connect the dots and then come back here with your Pollyanna attitude.
The one disappointment of the off-season housecleaning that brought Allen and Shanahan here is that they didn't part ways with Larry Michael as well. He is a prominent and unavoidable symbol of the horrible way Snyder and Cerrator ran this team in the past. Moving on to a new era of Redskins football, on and off the field, should have meant severing ties with him as well.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Dude it's not the Coughlin column in and of itself that is appalling. It is the consistancy in which she bashes the Skins taken together with the piece. Yes she is a mediocre writer, another reason the Post should let her go.

I don't ask for Homer pieces, but I do expect the hometown newspaper to provide me with columns related to the hometown teams that do not indicate an agenda one way or the other.
Just so I don't forget, I intend to remind the above poster about this quote.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:21 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgundyNGold
You're the only person up here who thinks that. Do the research, connect the dots and then come back here with your Pollyanna attitude.
Well Cal is right, it is probably an assigned article.....

However Keino's letter hits the point on the head about Jenkins. She has NEVER written a positive article about the Redskins. Negative articles are one thing when it is deserved, but you must then write a positive piece when it is deserved as well. She often portrays Gibbs as a fool and SNyder as a maniacla meglomaniac controlling his strings when there is no evidence Snyder has done ANYTHING that Gibbs has not wanted.

I defended Wilbon in another thread, I simply can not defend Jenkins. She is beyond the pale.

http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/...light=shanahan

Old 12-22-2005, 10:22 AM
Shaman

Thank You Sean..... Another opportunity for me to quote one of my favorites from William Shakespeare !(With a slight adjustment to the gender

Quote:
Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow; a poor player,
That struts and frets her hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(And some poor schmuck of an editor is going to get an earful for not checking the facts in the article......)

Old 12-22-2005, 10:24 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
It's the fact that when the Redskins are struggling, Sally Jenkins is all over it, bashing the team, coaches, and owner. But, suddenly, when the Skins are on a three-game winning streak and looking pretty good, Sally is nowhere to be found. It seems to really pain her if she talks positive about the Redskins. She never does it.

"Some people try to find things in this game that don't exist. Football is only two things - blocking and tackling." - Vince Lombardi

Old 12-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
She has NEVER written a positive article about the Redskins. Negative articles are one thing when it is deserved, but you must then write a positive piece when it is deserved as well. She often portrays Gibbs as a fool and SNyder as a maniacla meglomaniac controlling his strings when there is no evidence Snyder has done ANYTHING that Gibbs has not wanted.
That I can agree with. Looking back at her columns this year she does seem only write about the Skins when things aren't going well - though she was assigned to the Chiefs and Broncos games.

I will say thouth, that a positive piece about the Giants isn't the same thing as a negative one about the Redskins.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:31 AM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
In just a few posts, I think you have become the board's official Post-apologist.

Mike Wise, Sally Jenkins, Mike Wilbon, Tony K can't do wrong by you.

Interesting...

Old 12-22-2005, 10:37 AM
Brave

Thanks, Keino. Its a shame what has happened to the Post's sports department. In the 80s and 90s they were regularly bringing in young writers who, love them or hate them, were talented and have gone on to be pretty successful: Wilbon, Kornheiser, Boswell, Feinstein, David Aldridge, Richard Justice, Tom Friend, Christine Brennan, JA Adande, Mark Maske. Whoever was doing the hiring must have retired about 5-7 years ago, because almost all of their newer writers are just horrible. They can't get facts straight and/or distort them -- most notably Nunyo (constantly) and Jenkins, and aren't too into doing legwork -- Jenkins and Wise lead by a mile in this department.

Sally Jenkins is just horrendous. She wrote a piece recently bashing the BCS -- saying monkeys can better determine who to put in a national championship (based on some convoluted study that some researcher did). I hate the BCS as much as anyone, yet her piece was so unconvincing, it probably led more people to think: 1) she is a loon and 2) the BCS probably isn't that bad of a way to determine a national champion.