Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Skins Made Offer For R. Lewis
Old 02-23-2006, 08:55 AM
Runner

Default Skins Made Offer For R. Lewis

Quote:
NO TRUTH TO RAY-TO-'BOYS RUMORS

We caught wind of a rumor recently that the Cowboys and Ravens could be working out a trade that would send disgruntled linebacker Ray Lewis to Dallas for a second-round or a third-round pick.

A league source tells us that the rumor is off the mark.

However, we're told that the Redskins previously have made a significant offer for Lewis -- and that the Ravens declined.

Although the Ravens aren't inclined to give Lewis the salary increase that he so desperately wants, they're holding out for a big package of picks and/or players for a guy whom many still regard as one of the best defensive players in the game -- and they're apparently willing to keep him under the terms of his current deal, even if he's not happy with it.

Lewis is entering the fifth year of a seven-year deal. He is scheduled to earn $5.5 million in 2006, $6.5 million in 2007, and $6.5 million in 2008.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Last edited by smoak : 02-23-2006 at 09:08 AM.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:56 AM
Comanchero

I really don't want Ray Lewis so I hope this is just a rumor. Do you have a link for this?

Old 02-23-2006, 08:58 AM
Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Taylor36
I really don't want Ray Lewis so I hope this is just a rumor. Do you have a link for this?
PFT

Old 02-23-2006, 08:58 AM

For some reason this smells a lot like the mushroom farms in Avondale. I'm not buying it.

Old 02-23-2006, 09:11 AM
Spirit

This was already posted in another thread. I seriously doubt this would have happened ever since Joe came back.

Old 02-23-2006, 09:22 AM
hR Staff Writer

I doubt it entirely....the only deal that would make sense is Lavar for Lewis straight up, moving Lemar back outside. But I doubt Balt would do that and I doubt the Redskins are dealing Lavar this year.

http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/...light=shanahan

Old 02-23-2006, 09:47 AM
hR Staff Writer

Its very plausible that the Skins made an offer. The Ravens are probably calling around to gauge interest in Ray and the Skins probably made an offer for him. Lavar for Lewis would be my guess, but I can't blame the Ravens for not taking that.

The Skins are probably looking at trades to dump Lavar and this would seem like a plausible one. Lewis is only owed 18 million over 3 years on his deal and thats a lot better than having a 5 year-50 million dollar deal on the books.

Old 02-23-2006, 09:54 AM
Chief

I gotta be honest Ray is my favorite player in the league outside the skins...but the question is fit. I would always see him as a Raven and never Redskin.IMO....His commitment to the game is unmatched...I know what some of you will say, but if many players in the league can match his intensity and knowledge, we would see the league go to heights that we have never seen....IMO.

May the LORD watch between me and thee, while we're abscent from one another....
May his peace be with you till we meet again my friend.

Amen

-Eric

Always count your blessings.

http://s939.photobucket.com/albums/a...1.jpg&newest=1

Old 02-23-2006, 09:54 AM
Sachem

I just don't believe that the Skins could take a $5.5 million cap hit this year, even if they moved Lavar, Lewis would have to be traded for some picks, IMO

Old 02-23-2006, 09:56 AM
Shaman

Yeah, there is a new article on PFT that says the offer was just made last week, so pretty recent. I'm glad the didn't accept the deal since I don't think we lost to Seattle due to the play of our LBs. I would rather see us spend money on offense and D-Line this year than go after other areas.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:02 AM
Great Spirit

Bad idea, if true.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:03 AM

Are these rumblings an indication that the CBA is close? Otherwise it really would make no sense for the Redskins trade for anyone. I just think that this is more media generated speculation if you ask me. I'd think that maybe a call was place to inquire, but I would be SHOCKED if there was anything of substance discussed.

Ray-Ray is another Deion Sanders. A once great player in a rapidly declining point in his career.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:03 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus
Its very plausible that the Skins made an offer. The Ravens are probably calling around to gauge interest in Ray and the Skins probably made an offer for him. Lavar for Lewis would be my guess, but I can't blame the Ravens for not taking that.

The Skins are probably looking at trades to dump Lavar and this would seem like a plausible one. Lewis is only owed 18 million over 3 years on his deal and thats a lot better than having a 5 year-50 million dollar deal on the books.
Now I know you are on record wanting to get rid of Lavar, but you don't think that is a good deal do you?

http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/...light=shanahan

Old 02-23-2006, 10:18 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYSkinFan
Now I know you are on record wanting to get rid of Lavar, but you don't think that is a good deal do you?
Let me see, Ray Lewis for Lavar, and the Skins save 32 million in cap space down the line? Yeah, I would do that deal.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:19 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeRedskins
I just don't believe that the Skins could take a $5.5 million cap hit this year, even if they moved Lavar, Lewis would have to be traded for some picks, IMO
Even in the worse case salary situation with trading Lavar, it will cost nothing more to trade him than keep him. Keeping him would cost 12.5 million, at worse, trading him would cost roughly the same at best it might save some money. I know it will save a ton of cap space down the line.