Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > Mohican Draft Tribe

Vince Young's workout today
Old 03-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Buck

Default Vince Young's workout today

Just saw a piece on ESPN about VY's pro day and how impressive he was. Sean Salisbury gave him a A-. I know there has been a lot of talk about his throwing motion but I think he's going to be alright provided he gets 2 years to sit and learn. I know what most everybody thinks about him but does this change anybodies view on him?

Old 03-22-2006, 05:13 PM
Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3644Skins
Just saw a piece on ESPN about VY's pro day and how impressive he was. Sean Salisbury gave him a A-. I know there has been a lot of talk about his throwing motion but I think he's going to be alright provided he gets 2 years to sit and learn. I know what most everybody thinks about him but does this change anybodies view on him?
That's been my thought on VY all along...if he's drafted by a team that isn't afraid to sit him for a few years and teach him to play QB in a pro offense, then VY will be fine. If not, and he gets thrown to the wolves right away then watch out, it's not going to be pretty.

Old 03-22-2006, 05:18 PM
Code Talker

Quote:
Nope dosent change my view one bit...I still think he deserves consideration in the top 3. How can you not want a guy like this on your team. Granted others have differing opinions but just watch the guy play ball. He commands his team he is silky smooth in the pocket and despite what some may say he throws the ball alot more than he bails out. His completion % was in the 60s much higher then Cutlers and in the most pressure packed situations he didnt crumble he rose to the top.

I think the dropping of him in most mock has a direct reflection on how much coverage the draft is given now adays. You hear some talk about losing a third round pick like someone just kicked them in the groin. Now the draft can be exciting but the negative and positive articles written on players IMO will never change what i see in my own eyes. If VINCE dosent go top 10 it is a mistake even if he is a risk..Who isnt a risk.

Old 03-22-2006, 05:24 PM
Sagamore

Young's biggest question marks are his release point and his ability to adjust to an nfl offense as Texas' was simple although brutally effective. He is a flat out winner and incredible athlete. If he has sufficient nfl arm strength, I have little doubt he will be successful in the nfl. The kid lost 1 game as a starter in college without Leinart's cast.

Old 03-22-2006, 05:26 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
He ran a 4.58 today during his pro day on a fast track. So, he's not that fast and Leinart or Cutler are much more polished Qbs. And he didn't do a lot of throws and drops backs that they will make him do in the pros and in the private workout days. He's still in the 7-21 range(15-21 range if Oakland passes on him).

Old 03-22-2006, 05:28 PM
2009 hR Dynasty $$$ Champ

Vince Young has all the tools to be a superstar. If he goes to the right team he will be a pro bowl caliber QB in 5 years. He will be a top ten pick and most likely a top 5 pick IMO. He may not fit in some offenses but offenses can adapt to his strengths and really become stronger than they would with a guy who fits the convential mode. He wont be mike vick but he could be a combo of vick/mcnabb. Not a bad combo if you asked me.

Old 03-22-2006, 05:29 PM
Sagamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus
He ran a 4.58 today during his pro day on a fast track. So, he's not that fast and Leinart or Cutler are much more polished Qbs. And he didn't do a lot of throws and drops backs that they will make him do in the pros and in the private workout days. He's still in the 7-21 range(15-21 range if Oakland passes on him).
Speed isn't everything when running the ball however as he displayed his entire college career. He garnered a ridiculous amount of yards on the ground. I'm not concerened about running the ball with him just his mechanics, maturity, and adjusting to an nfl offense. Cutler is on his way down according to Kiper.

Old 03-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
If I was a scout I wouldn't be too thrilled that Young is trying to avoid making lots of throws and dropbacks every time he works out..sooner or later he'll have to prove he can do that stuff..

Old 03-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsASchamps
Vince Young has all the tools to be a superstar. If he goes to the right team he will be a pro bowl caliber QB in 5 years. He will be a top ten pick and most likely a top 5 pick IMO. He may not fit in some offenses but offenses can adapt to his strengths and really become stronger than they would with a guy who fits the convential mode. He wont be mike vick but he could be a combo of vick/mcnabb. Not a bad combo if you asked me.

i dont see how you figure he is a pro bowl qb, he is a michael vick with a lot less speed and even worse of a passer, he throws the deep ball pitifully has an unorthodox style

Old 03-22-2006, 05:32 PM
Buck

vince young also ran a lot of shotgun in college and will probably have trouble converting to an under center offense

Old 03-22-2006, 05:33 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skinsinator
Speed isn't everything when running the ball however as he displayed his entire college career. He garnered a ridiculous amount of yards on the ground.
4.6(on a fast track) isn't fast for a player who is trying to be a runner as much as a Passer. Vick is much faster than Young is. And he can't elude people and takes a ton of sacks. And Young racked up the rushing yards, except when he played a real CFB defense.

Quote:
I'm not concerened about running the ball with him just his mechanics, maturity, and adjusting to an nfl offense.
Just minor stuff like that. You can't have any bigger question marks as a NFL qb prospect.

Quote:
Cutler is on his way down according to Kiper.
Cutler had an amazing pro day according to the scouts. If he's falling its because of the Brees signings and Jets' trade for Ramsey, but Young is falling farther than he is.

Old 03-22-2006, 05:36 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
McNabb didn't have the questions about his maturity and adaption to pro style offenses like Young does. Tim Couch with some running ability is probably a better comparison right now. If he isn't thrown to the wolves for 2 years, he could be a very good player; but considering Young's history and the advisors he has around him, if he doesn't play immediately, they'll raise a stink.

Old 03-22-2006, 05:38 PM
Sagamore

Quote:
Just minor stuff like that. You can't have any bigger question marks as a NFL qb prospect.
LOL, yes those are a few things and I'm aware of your doubts about him. However, I really think he will be success at the next level. Choosing between him and Leinart would be difficult. Guys like Young have to be underwritten thoroughly when going to the pros but he is one that I think will work.

Old 03-22-2006, 05:38 PM
2009 hR Dynasty $$$ Champ

Quote:
McNabb didn't have the questions about his maturity and adaption to pro style offenses like Young does. Tim Couch with some running ability is probably a better comparison right now. If he isn't thrown to the wolves for 2 years, he could be a very good player; but considering Young's history and the advisors he has around him, if he doesn't play immediately, they'll raise a stink.
My memory may be off but didnt mcnabb run a lot of the option at syracuse? I think he did. Vick just ran around and no one could tackle him but he has a cannon for an arm. Vince young can escape from tackles and throw the ball deep. He has a cannon for an arm and can make the plays under pressure. He is a winner and all that adds up to him being a good pro to me.

Old 03-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Buck

Quote:
My memory may be off but didnt mcnabb run a lot of the option at syracuse? I think he did. Vick just ran around and no one could tackle him but he has a cannon for an arm. Vince young can escape from tackles and throw the ball deep. He has a cannon for an arm and can make the plays under pressure. He is a winner and all that adds up to him being a good pro to me.

he throws the ball deep, but to no one, his cannon for an arm is a little above average in the nfl, nothing special, and before last year his career TD to INT ratio was 18-18 and for his entire career it was 44-28, not that great, and last year was also the only year he won a big game, before that he choked under pressure