Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

What will be the biggest surprise this year in the NFL?
Old 08-14-2003, 08:05 PM
jsarno

Default What will be the biggest surprise this year in the NFL?

What team, or player or both will completely surpriseus this year around the NFL? What's your opinion?

Old 08-14-2003, 08:35 PM
Great Spirit

People will be surprised when Ramsey hold the Super bowl trophy above his head ok maybe not

I think Minnesota could surprise a lot of people this year

Old 08-14-2003, 09:00 PM
Chief

The Raiders go 8-8.

Old 08-14-2003, 09:05 PM
Chief Moderator

I got a few answers...

TEAM
The team that will surprise the most this season will be the Seattle Seahawks. Hasselbeck played flawlessly towards the end of last season, and has big targets in K. Robinson and D. Jackson...as well as a pair of TEs with good hands. Shaun Alexander will also rack up massive ground yards and TDs.

RUNNING BACK Two running backs come to mind that should surprise everyone with their talents. They are Vikings RB Onterrio Smith and Bears RB Adriane Peterson. Both have the chance to do what Portis dis last year...

QUARTERBACK I believe Patrick Ramsey has the best chance to surprise NFL fans around the league. Many underestimate how smart and knowledgable this kid is...and his work effort is only second to Peyton Manning. Spurrier will have him throwing 40+ times for 22+ completions a game. With deep ball threats in Coles and Jacobs, he could easily approach 4,000 passing yards if his O-line can keep him healthy.

WIDE RECEIVER Assuming Jake Plummer can get the job done, I believe Denver WR Ashley Lelie can be one of the breakout players of the year. With defenses concentrating on Portis, and Rod Smith and Eddy Mac not getting any younger, Lelie finds himself in a good position to contribute.

TIGHT END Tight ends are usually a dime a dozen, but Miami TE Randy McMichael has the best chance to dazzle fans this year and become a premiere NFL tight end. Miami's wide recieving corp has been less than stellar as of late...and Chris Chambers and former Skin Derrius Thompson won't be effective enough to compliment Ricky William's running game. THat being said, I see Fiedler looking to outlet to McMichael early and often during games this season. Even if Fiedler isn't the starter, Griese is used to throwing to tight ends while in Denver to Shannon Sharpe.

Old 08-15-2003, 12:16 AM
Great Spirit

For a team, I have to go with Philly. Not for doing well, but for finally falling apart. Hugh Douglas is gone, Shawn Barber is gone, Al Harris is gone, Duce Staley is (for all intents and purposes) gone. One injury to that secondary and they'll have problems, especially if it happens to Brian Dawkins. Their safety depth isn't, well, deep. And without Hugh Douglas, they'll have a harder time creating a pass rush, which will give quarterbacks more time to find holes in those famous blitzes of theirs.

A couple players I think will surprise are Onterrio Smith, Jake Plummer, Trung Canidate, and Marc Boeringter, whose name I'm pretty sure I butchered. Smith has the most massive offensive line in the league to run behind and Randy Moss to spread the field for him. With Bennett out, he's good as gold. Plummer will finally have the offensive weapons he needs to get some of the heat off of himself. I think he'll be one of the top-rated passers in the league this year. Canidate, well, we all know about him, I expect him to pull off a lot of Sportscenter highlights this year. And Boeringter, well, he's what we call a super-sleeper. Look at his stats, not just from last year but also the CFL and college, and you'll see he's a touchdown machine. Roughly one out of every four receptions for him has been a TD over his career. Last year, he found paydirt eight times on only twenty catches. And since KC isn't exactly stacked at wide out, he could explode this year.

Santana Moss
Colt Brennan
Anthony Montgomery
Fred Smoot

Last edited by JoeDaSchmoe : 08-15-2003 at 12:24 AM.

Old 08-15-2003, 04:44 AM
Brave

What would be a surprise to me would not come from a player or a team, but from the Refs. I would like to see a game that is called right, not have a biaist swist to it.

You know that the O-line holds on every play but the Refs seem to call holding most of the time when a team scores(ie Skins at Panthers).

Using the Panthers game again, you get 2, count them 2 illegal blocks in the back on a big return(1 right in front of a Ref) by the Panthers and NO flags, but if the Skins had done the same thing, every Ref on the field would have tossed a flag.

Yes, I would be very surprised if the Refs call a game fairly.

That is why I don't bet on football anymore (about 10 years now).

Old 08-15-2003, 08:24 AM
Sagamore

The Bears will not be as bad as everyone thinks...the Rams will rebound. The Skins will rebound. Vick will tear it up this year.

Old 08-15-2003, 08:27 AM
Great Spirit

Two big surprises to me. Redskins come out of their first six brutal games with a winning record and garner some respect, and second, I think the Bengals will be much improved over last year and Lewis will prove he can coach. Will they have a winning record? Absolutely not, but I do believe they will be much improved.

Old 08-15-2003, 02:13 PM
jsarno

I agree with Cincy...I no longer think they will be the doormat. I see at least 6 wins this year. (which is triple what they had last year)

I think this is the year we see Brett Favre go down. He takes too many beatings, and his year he will suffer. Akili Smith will be a decent replacement too.
I think it would be MORE surprising to see Vicks passing numbers not get much higher, and in fact be slightly worse.

For the first time in many years, the 49ers QB situation is going to be CRAPPY. With Garcia looking like he won't make a full season, the back up (RAttay) will look horrible. Ending the seemingly forever streak of great back ups in SF.

tiki Barber comes back down to earth this year.

Jerry Porter has more rec. yards than Rice or Brown.

Cleveland's Green becomes next great RB.

David Carr will ACTUALLY have time to throw the ball.

Old 08-15-2003, 02:45 PM
Comanchero

Talyor Jacobs: A projected 1st rounder that was all but forgotten until his former (college) coach snatched him up in the second round. He knows the system, can catch and can burn, and has two talented recievers at the #1 & #2 positions that will stretch the field. He should thrive in the Washington Redskins open offense THIS year.

Carson Palmer: Providing that he actually sees playing time this year, he will NOT do well at all. He was not worthy of the number 1 pick in the draft (I thought Cincy should have picked either Charles Rodgers, Newman or Suggs). Plus...............HE PLAYS FOR THE BUNGLES!!!!

Steve Mariucci: The Lions will be MUCH BETTER this year and will play very disciplined. They have some good young talent, and he is the type of coach that will take them to "higher heights".

Clinton Portis: With Plummer opening up the passing game, he should thrive by carring the ball and catching more passes out of the backfield.

N.Y. Giants Secondary: With a year of experience under their belt and by replacing oft-injured Seahorn, they should be amongst the best in the league. Maybe this is NOT much of a 'surprise'.

Derrius Thompson: Nearly 'unheard of' in NFL circles, should have a breakout year (perhaps more than 80 catches). The rap on him has been that he has excellent hands but not blazing speed. With the Dolphins offense, speed is not (overly) emphasized. Word has it that he has been the single 'best' player throughout the camp this year.

Santana Moss: With the loss of Coles and by having Cherbet as an "average" posession receiver (that doesn't have blazing speed), and with Conway who is on the downside of his career, Moss should flourish. He has progressively gotten better (like Coles) in each NFL season and will have to provide spark to the offense and special teams.

Last but not least: Patrick Ramsey. If he stays healthy and if the offensive line can provide him with some time, he can be dangerous. He is in a great offense, has a great arm and has a great stable of recievers to throw to. Plus, he is very intelligent and studies an awful lot of film, which will obviously help him.

Old 08-16-2003, 05:35 AM
Papoose

Dante Stallworth