Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Are the Skins poorly coached????????
Old 08-18-2003, 11:56 AM
Comanchero

Default Are the Skins poorly coached????????

It seems as though the Redskins are making an awful lot of mistakes. Yes, it's only pre-season, but something needs to be done. This team plays about as undisciplined as a team can play.

Two fights broke out in practice last week. The team (offense) is audibling an awful lot these days and having to rush to get the ball off in time. We are also breaking out of the huddle late.

As far as INTENSITY is concerned............WE HAVE NONE. Except for a few players, most of our players look like they are simply "going through the motions".

I know that Spurrier has "toned down" his play calling this pre-season, after exposing his whole hand last pre-season. Still, offensive players sometimes look confused.

Spurrier also says in post game interviews (both games) that we have to "coach better". We have new O and D coordinators who are taking a lot of new responsibilities, and I understand that it is a growing process.

I (for one) am a Spurrier fan. Love the guy. However it begs the question: Do we have a coaching problem?????

Old 08-18-2003, 12:07 PM

Good question. I think the answer to that will become clear by the last PS game. You can sense that SS is REALLY getting frustrated with the stupid mistakes. We'll probably see (hear or read) about some Coach on coaches this week. .......... One the other hand, maybe there are so many mistakes because the offense IS being held back. You get all kinds of mixed reports on the new every night about how the offense is doing. It's really hard to tell. ........ But IMO, we'll have a pretty good idea by next week.

Old 08-18-2003, 12:09 PM
Shaman

Unhappy

Every year, every team has a coaching problem. The era of Free Agency has seen to that - - there are always new players on every team every year - new learning experiences! For the Redskins, once again, a new Defensive Coordinator and Coach Spurrier attempting to rethink how he coaches and what his responsibilities are during game time. Iím not surprised, but will be if the Team is not ready on opening day

Old 08-18-2003, 12:10 PM
hR Owner

Spurrier's "we have to coach better comments" are purely mind game statements IMO, and I applaud him for them if my theory is correct. I believe that he is imploring an anti-Mike Martz approach. Instead of standing in front of the media and berating his players for mistakes (i.e. Martz trashing Trung Canidate) he simply throws the majority of the blame on his shoulders as far as the media goes. I think this goes along way as far as the players go. Maybe they will say to themselves coach is deflecting the critisism off of us a little bit, so we need to buckle down and stop making the mistakes that we have been making.

As for the audibling, I'm not sure why so many folks lately (fans and media) are making such a big deal about this. It is the Spurrier way of football, and always has been. The QB's job is to scan the defense and check down to something that will work better in his opinion. No other QB in the league will have Ramsey's freedom at the line other then Manning, who was calling his own plays as of last year. I don't find the audibling to be a concern at all.

Old 08-18-2003, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rskinsfan10

As for the audibling, I'm not sure why so many folks lately (fans and media) are making such a big deal about this. It is the Spurrier way of football, and always has been. The QB's job is to scan the defense and check down to something that will work better in his opinion. No other QB in the league will have Ramsey's freedom at the line other then Manning, who was calling his own plays as of last year. I don't find the audibling to be a concern at all.
Yes..... BUT the problem we are having is that the clock is running down to 1 seconds - It's not hard to antisipate the snap at that point and it gives the entire Defense an advantage.

Old 08-18-2003, 12:27 PM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by rskinsfan10
Spurrier's "we have to coach better comments" are purely mind game statements IMO, and I applaud him for them if my theory is correct. I believe that he is imploring an anti-Mike Martz approach. Instead of standing in front of the media and berating his players for mistakes (i.e. Martz trashing Trung Canidate) he simply throws the majority of the blame on his shoulders as far as the media goes. I think this goes along way as far as the players go. Maybe they will say to themselves coach is deflecting the critisism off of us a little bit, so we need to buckle down and stop making the mistakes that we have been making.
I agree 100%. Spurrier would rather place blame on himself than on the players. The outcome, unfortunately, is that the media and Skins haters use this as "evidence" that Spurrier is the problem...when we all know some of the problems stem from players not doing their best.

Old 08-18-2003, 12:33 PM
hR Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick
Yes..... BUT the problem we are having is that the clock is running down to 1 seconds - It's not hard to antisipate the snap at that point and it gives the entire Defense an advantage.
That may be true, and I agree with you, but my point is we knew that was what we were getting when Snyder hired Spurrier. At least those that watched Gator games knew that was the case. The only remedy I can foresee is the coaches getting the initial call into the QB about 5 seconds faster.

Old 08-18-2003, 12:33 PM
hR Owner

I believe the clock issues relate to indecision on the coaches part. There were a couple of situations Saturday where the correct personnel was in the huddle or the coaches hadnt' made a decision on which play to call. As for the audibles, as others have mentioned, they are required for this offense. Spurrier or whoever is calling the plays should make that decision faster and players have to know if they're required or not for a given play. They are working with alot of new people so I expect this issue to dissolve in the regular season.

Old 08-18-2003, 12:37 PM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by hail2skins
They are working with alot of new people so I expect this issue to dissolve in the regular season.
So do I...and that is why we have preseason games! Spurrier is still adapting to the NFL...and he is using these games as practice for the regular season.

Old 08-18-2003, 12:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick
This is the main fault with the present system. Either the staff is taking too long to get the play in or the players are taking too long to get started. The reults are false sarts, holding penalties, delay of game penalties... The opponent's defenses are getting good jumps and reads on our O. We damn near led the league in penalties last year, and the pressure applied against our QBs was obvious.

Old 08-18-2003, 01:14 PM

Getting the call into the huddle WILL help alot no doubt. The other thing is recognition on Ramsey's part. We're getting to the line with 10 seconds but when he calls the audible, he's taking way too long. IMO, Patrick not scanning the field until he gets under center. (Watch Bret Farve, he's scanning the field the moment he leaves the huddle) ...... Don't misunderstand me, I have NO problem with SS system. I loved watching the Gators. .. Coach has just got to translate his system to Ramsey .... AND it's coming - Hopefully sooner than later. AND same hold true for Rob Johnson.

Old 08-18-2003, 03:39 PM
jsarno

I'm not worried...it's only preseason, first week will tell a lot. I'll wait til then first.
It's tough for all the lines / strings to get it together.

Old 08-18-2003, 03:50 PM
Sagamore

Sorry guys..but I heard this all the time when Marrty was here..the whole its only preseason thing...if they don't show some improvement in this next game we might be in a little trouble. Not saying the whole season is down the tubes..but we might be in for a rough start.

Old 08-18-2003, 04:01 PM
hR Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by TexSkin
Sorry guys..but I heard this all the time when Marrty was here..the whole its only preseason thing...if they don't show some improvement in this next game we might be in a little trouble. Not saying the whole season is down the tubes..but we might be in for a rough start.
But wouldn't you say that there was improvement from Carolina/Pats? I know that some of you guys weren't able to actually watch the game, but there was a significant amount of positives this past weekend compared to the previous week.

Old 08-18-2003, 04:05 PM
Sagamore

I know there was improvements but the team still looked sloppy as hell. If a Parcells team did that there would be hell to pay. Man I really wish the Tuna did not go to Dallas. I liked the guy.