Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

FO Mistakes
Old 08-21-2003, 12:30 PM
Sagamore

Default FO Mistakes

I am probably the first guy to stand in line and support the Skins... even when they make dumb mistakes I usually dismiss it and salute in good old fshioned team loyalty. But enough is enough.

The FO seems to be walking around with two heads this pre-season. On the one hand they make great impovements to the offense... offer strong enticements (some argue too strong) to several yound up-and-coming stars... and make great moves at securing a future for this team. Danny actually has the media convinced for a day or so that he learned from his past... and even the Times suggests that SS is growing a bit.

THEN... it comes out that they spent so much time on the offense and totally missed the fact that their defense line was coming undone. They allow Gardner to go elsewhere... then dismiss Big Daddy without any plan B in mind... what gives?

I can understand not wanting to over spend in some areas... but I have a few gripes.

1. We didnt need Taylor Jacobs IMO. We already have a plethora of speedy WR... and needed to shore up our D line in the draft. I think this pick was an obvious Steve Spurrier demand claiming that this guy was too good to pass up. Well... now we have a 3rd WR "too good to pass up"... and a D line filled with back ups.

2. Letting BDW go without another plan was completely stupid IMO. Beyond that... why let Gardner go if we didn't want to keep BDW? Everyone in the FO had to know that BDW was getting ancy with the team and requesting to be traded. He had already restructured his contract 2x's and it didnt seem likely that he would a third. ALSO... Anyone could have forseen the pay cut that was coming in BDW's direction... what were they thinking?

3. Im not at all impressed with the situation our FO now finds themselves in 2 weeks before the season starts. Although we couldnt forsee Noble getting hurt... even he is not an impressive starter IMO. With no backup... the Redskins are once again the laughing stock of the league as we scramble for a DT or two worth anything at all. Count out any of our opponents from next season from working with us (they see an easy win and 200 yrds rushing for thir running back ahead of them). The other teams are NOT going to give us a break... they WANT to see Danny and Steve fail...

I dont want to be negative... but this FO has once again put us in a hole. The season hasn't even started yet and it looks bleak.

Is there any way to cut the FO next Tuesday?

Old 08-21-2003, 12:43 PM
Great Spirit

the espn said that our worst offseason move was getting rid of davis. but that isnt even close. the worst move was not resigning gardener.

Re: FO Mistakes
Old 08-21-2003, 12:53 PM

Default Re: FO Mistakes

Quote:
Originally posted by Skinzaholic

I dont want to be negative... but this FO has once again put us in a hole. The season hasn't even started yet and it looks bleak.

Is there any way to cut the FO next Tuesday?

Understand your frustrations. Thing is, IF we were 1-1 or 2-0 so far this preseason this wouldn't even be a discussion.

Fact is, FO's makes mistakes and ours is not the ONLY one - it's the nature of the NFL (Hell just look at the history of our Division for the pass 10 years). Unfortunely, this is where the winner and loser are seperated. .......... There are going to good deals and bad all the time. IF we'd start winning, all will before gotten.

Not much comfort - but it's a FACT!

Old 08-21-2003, 01:07 PM
Sagamore

I know second guessing the whole Gardner thing is easy but who is to say once we gave him his contract he would not be a big slacker like he is doing with the Broncos. There is a reason the Dolphins let him go.

Old 08-21-2003, 01:12 PM
Brett A

Skinzaholic

1) I agreed with taking Jacobs at the time because he was first round talent available in the 2nd round and I believe that a team should draft the best available player or trade down. Who would oyu have wanted them to take all the DT that were rated in that area and higher where gone. The NFL is almost as short on quality DTs as it is on quality QBs. A trade down to get a lower rated DT would not guarantee that he would even make the team. So if you want to say the FO screwed up then you would have to say that getting Coles not Jacobs was the mistake. because after trading their 1st rounder there was no way to get a starting DT in the draft unless you get lucky and get one in the late rounds and that dont happen often.

2. As for Big Daddy any of these guys we have on the roster now would post more than 17 tackles playing next to Gardner. He got 17 tackles! Hell Carl Powell looked great next to Gardner...Big Daddy looked like what he is a BIG BUST....As for Gardner I would have like for the team to keep him but not for the contract he got in Denver who by the way he has yet to play a down for.

3. In the regular season we will have to play 8 man fronts which is ok because we have the corners to do it. yes we will give up some big plays but we are going to make some to so keep up the faith...I have a good feeling about this season.

Brett

Old 08-21-2003, 01:31 PM
Sentinel

Said it before and say it again....we weren't supposed to win the Super Bowl in 1992...and we did. As for this FO, we were supposed to be in cap hell for the past 4 years. Haven't seen it yet. Give em some time. Danny's good at pulling stuff outta his ass.

Old 08-21-2003, 01:41 PM
Chief

Well the thing with Gardner is it was either him or Coles. We have an owner and a head coach who can only see the flashy or sexy aspects of the game so what could have we expected.

Old 08-21-2003, 02:00 PM
Great Spirit

Let me respond point for point.

1. Disagree Kevin. i think jacobs was an incredible steal at 44 and will even be seen as a better pick when we can not afford to resign Rod Gardner.

2. BDW. Totally agree. These guys are not stupid in the front office, but this kind of moving, makes you wander if they are. They knew for months that his contract base was $3.5 mil. They knew it was too much to pay for quality of play they got from Big daddy. So why not resign Gardener? Once Gardener left, and they still knew they could not swallow BDW's contract, where was the pan? Noble and Haley were the plan? I just dont get this. How could we go into the fof-season, improve all the positions we did, but the number one position we were weakest at, there was no plan, none!

3. Agreed as a repeat above. It is liek they have a plan, then at the end of it, say ooops, we for got about that, EVEN THOUGH it was our most glaring hole. Why did they at least not attempt to reasign Carl Powell???

Old 08-21-2003, 02:16 PM

PSF...we see eye to eye on this issue. There is no doubt. I for one am a pissed off fan. I come from a generation of Skins fans that Expects to win (Thanks to the Squire and Gibbs). 1 playoff appearance since 1992 and a rebuilding every year is KILLIN ME!!!!!!!
Just so I don't forget, I intend to remind the above poster about this quote.

Old 08-21-2003, 02:20 PM

BTW - I can' argue the Jacobs pick, though it's no secret I wanted Mike Doss in the 2nd round, but when a 1st rounder slips to you in the 2nd round, you have to take him.........

Old 08-21-2003, 02:48 PM
Runner

Isn't Vinny Cerreto the one who put the 49'ers in cap hell?

Old 08-21-2003, 03:01 PM
Great Spirit

LOl Trung, but really in defense of him, I have no problems with Vinny. he had a good off-season, I am just really pissed that they left teh DT position go.

BUT now for some props for the front office that is being bashed here left and right, and at times, deservingly so. lets give props though, after Noble went down, they could have panicked. They coudl have caved in to some ridiculous demands and gave away good draft picks for a mediocre or old veteran. i think before we continue the all out slam ont he FO, that we also need to give a little credit for not reacting too quickly.

Old 08-21-2003, 03:11 PM
Shaman

FO preseason grade: C
Why?
Because they failed (F) on the D line, Passed on the ST (C-),
passed on WR (A+), passed on the O line (C+) and passed RB (A)
Is this good enough to have a winning season - we will wait and see?!?!?!

Old 08-21-2003, 03:33 PM
Sagamore

I don;t agree on that assement Namvet....I believe the O line was a B and the RB was a C. Thats just how I feel. None of these guys has shown to be better then Davis yet. The Line got alot better even if has not shown up in preseason games. ST are about the same as last year only difference is we have a stable kicker. They still give up the big plays.

Re: FO Mistakes
Old 08-21-2003, 05:42 PM
Healer

Default Re: FO Mistakes

Quote:
Originally posted by Skinzaholic

1. We didnt need Taylor Jacobs IMO. We already have a plethora of speedy WR... and needed to shore up our D line in the draft. I think this pick was an obvious Steve Spurrier demand claiming that this guy was too good to pass up. Well... now we have a 3rd WR "too good to pass up"... and a D line filled with back ups.

2. Letting BDW go without another plan was completely stupid IMO. Beyond that... why let Gardner go if we didn't want to keep BDW? Everyone in the FO had to know that BDW was getting ancy with the team and requesting to be traded. He had already restructured his contract 2x's and it didnt seem likely that he would a third. ALSO... Anyone could have forseen the pay cut that was coming in BDW's direction... what were they thinking?

3. Im not at all impressed with the situation our FO now finds themselves in 2 weeks before the season starts. Although we couldnt forsee Noble getting hurt... even he is not an impressive starter IMO. With no backup... the Redskins are once again the laughing stock of the league as we scramble for a DT or two worth anything at all. Count out any of our opponents from next season from working with us (they see an easy win and 200 yrds rushing for thir running back ahead of them). The other teams are NOT going to give us a break... they WANT to see Danny and Steve fail...

KEEP POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!!!
No we didn't need Taylor Jacobs when we got him and yes D-Line help would have been excellent. But look back at the draft. There wasn't that many decent DTs availble at that point in the draft. And if I remember MOST of you guys wanted a Safety anyhow (Mike Doss comes to mind). This Jacobs move looking at this season ISN'T a good move but look 1 or 2 years ahead when Rod Gardner likely asks for big money and we have to let him walk away. Then maybe Jacobs will look better especially with 1 or 2 years in the offense at the NFL LEVEL.

Big Daddy wanted to leave. Look at all the noise he made blasting everyone in the organization. I'm glad he's gone. Everyone needs to be real this wasn't a team made this year to win a superbowl. This is a team in 1 or 2 years to compete for a super bowl and Big Daddy wouldn't have been around then anyhow. So lets see what Chase, Hailey, Candida, and anyone else we can get do, so we can make a move next year.

Its not like teams are going to be running free every single play. Don't forget we still have a VERY good linebacking crew and safeties who are excellent at playing the run. With 3 quality cover guys (Champ, Smoot, Bauman) we can afford to commit 8 guys to the box without taking as much of a risk as other teams.

C'MON Guys when I left here all of you were predicting 10-6 and 11-5. Not very much has changed with the team since I left EXCEPT Big Daddy is gone. Do any of you REALLY think he's the difference between a 11-5 season opposed to a 6-10 season????