Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

View Poll Results: Do you like the pick of S Laron Landry?
Heck Yes! I Love it! 93 47.69%
No, no, no! He's not the guy we need? 44 22.56%
Eh, I don't know yet. 58 29.74%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCskinsfanatic
That's exactly what I've been sayiing Matt...
i do not see how it helps us next year. maybe in years to come.. but where is the pass rush coming from with a passive d line ?

and are we gonna have landry telling taylor where to line up or taylor telling landry ?

Old 04-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Chief

I like this pick and I wish people would not be so narrow minded. Yes we needed a defensive lineman but aside from Adams, there was nobody worth taking at 6. Jamaal Anderson may turn out to be a good player but I think the Falcons made a mistake taking him at 8 but it really depends on your need vs value philospohy, plus the Falcons' left end situation makes ours look great.

My point is we did need a defensive lineman but taking Anderson at 6 would have been an autrocity and I too was a big fan of the trade down but some team would have needed to blow us away with an offer to prevent us from taking Landry and I wasn't there but I'd be willing to bet nobody offered a second round pick. Now in Landry we have a safety who can hit and cover and all that stuff that's been said more times then I care to count, and I know Sean Taylor can do all that, and I swear the I'm tired of hearing "hits like a linebacker and covers like a cornerback". What Landry brings to the table that makes him so attractive is his ability to be a leader on defense, to see everything that's happening on the field before and after the snap and to the (clishe alert) defensive QB. I cannot even begin to express how invaluable and crucial a player like this is to every defense's success. The Patriots had Harrison, The Bucs had Lynch and now Derrick Brooks, the Ravens had Ray Lewis and later on Ed Reed. In fact, I challenge anyone to name a defense that has been consistantly in the top 10 this decade that didn't have a player like that, and I know for damn sure ever since Pierce left, we don't have that. Now you're gonna tell me that a guy is on the board who's a wonderful athlete and can play the position incredibly well, PLUS having all those intangiables I just spoke of is on the board, without an ELITE defensive lineman on the board that would contribute and start right away and without a viable trade down option and you're not gonna take him I'd say you lost your mind.

For those on the Okoye bandwaggon, my condolences. The problem here is I believe the 3 technique/nose tackle allignment is implimented in our defensive scheme and contrary to popular belief, putting Okoye or Griffin at nose tackle would have been suicide, therefor why take a player at 6 that won't contribute right away on a defense that needs so much help?

No doubt our front office made huge mistakes in censored by spencing the rest of the first day away but that's spilt milk right now. Yes they would have loved to make up for it but there's a limit to what can be done. Now quit whinning, it could have been ALOT worse. Hopefully next year the F.O will have learned it's lesson and we'll have Joe Gibbs and a personel director not named Vinny Cerrato running a full draft. Till then, Landry is a Skin, deal with it!

Old 04-28-2007, 02:25 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry
I like this pick and I wish people would not be so narrow minded. Yes we needed a defensive lineman but aside from Adams, there was nobody worth taking at 6. Jamaal Anderson may turn out to be a good player but the only reason I think the Falcons made a mistake taking him at 8 but it really depends on your need vs value philospohy, plus the Falcons' left end situation makes ours look great.

My point is we did need a defensive lineman but taking Anderson at 6 would have been an autrocity and I too was a big fan of the trade down but some team would have needed to blow us away with an offer to prevent us from taking Landry and I wasn't there but I'd be willing to bet nobody offered a second round pick. Now in Landry we have a safety who can hit and cover and all that stuff that's been said more times then I care to count, and I know Sean Taylor can do all that, and I swear the I'm tired of hearing "hits like a linebacker and covers like a cornerback". What Landry brings to the table that makes him so attractive is his ability to be a leader on defense, to see everything that's happening on the field before and after the snap and to the (clishe alert) defensive QB. I cannot even begin to express how invaluable and crucial a player like this is to every defense's success. The Patriots had Harrison, The Bucs had Lynch and now Derrick Brooks, the Ravens had Ray Lewis and later on Ed Reed. In fact, I challenge anyone to name a defense that has been consistantly in the top 10 this decade that didn't have a player like that, and I know for damn sure ever since Pierce left, we don't have that. Now you're gonna tell me that a guy is on the board who's a wonderful athlete and can play the position incredibly well, PLUS having all those intangiables I just spoke of is on the board, without an ELITE defensive lineman on the board that would contribute and start right away and without a viable trade down option and you're not gonna take him I'd say you lost your mind.

For those on the Okoye bandwaggon, my condolences. The problem here is I believe the 3 technique/nose tackle allignment is implimented in our defensive scheme and contrary to popular belief, putting Okoye or Griffin at nose tackle would have been suicide, therefor why take a player at 6 that won't contribute right away on a defense that needs so much help?

No doubt our front office made huge mistakes in censored by spencing the rest of the first day away but that's spilt milk right now. Yes they would have loved to make up for it but there's a limit to what can be done. Now quit whinning, it could have been ALOT worse. Hopefully next year the F.O will have learned it's lesson and we'll have Joe Gibbs and a personel director not named Vinny Cerrato running a full draft. Till then, Landry is a Skin, deal with it!
okay.. assume that landry was the best defensive player available.. maybe in the entire draft.
but it still does not correct an awful performance by the d line last year..do we assume they will all have career years this coming year ? that daniels will become rejuvenated by not having to work out at redskin park ?

i always feel that the line is the most important part of the defense and it was clearly job 1 this off season.. we have no more first day picks so are we tpo assume that the solution is going to come tomorrow ? that is going against all reality IMHO

Old 04-28-2007, 02:28 PM
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising270
Everyone keeps saying we need a Pass Rushing DE but what about Carter? He really started bringing the pressure and looking comfortable towards the later half of the seasons. Are we going to bench him and play a rookie?
No, we would have played him with the rookie opposite him or in the middle. Right now, Carter is, by default, our best pass-rusher. The offenses will look to double him if he continues to shine as a rusher. They don't fear a rush from the other three DLmen. And yes, they can expect the blitz. They've seen a couple of year's worth of GW's blitzes, and seem to be getting pretty good at picking them up.

That still leaves our super safeties, OK two LBs, and mediocre-to-average CBs chasing receivers all over the field as the QB has time to read and react.

Not a pretty picture.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally
okay.. assume that landry was the best defensive player available.. maybe in the entire draft.
but it still does not correct an awful performance by the d line last year..do we assume they will all have career years this coming year ? that daniels will become rejuvenated by not having to work out at redskin park ?

i always feel that the line is the most important part of the defense and it was clearly job 1 this off season.. we have no more first day picks so are we tpo assume that the solution is going to come tomorrow ? that is going against all reality IMHO
i agree with you shally and landry is rated best in the draft on defense by most. we will fix this dline something is in the works i feel.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Brave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising270
I'm shocked so many people are hating on this pick! Our secondary was a problem last year, no mater how much everyone wants to place the blame purely on lack of pressure from D-Line. A SS that can hold his own in run support (without constant help from Sean Taylor) and provide pass coverage support is exactly what this team needed. Plus this guy is a PERFECT fit for Greg Williams secondary blitzing schemes, did you see the video's of him getting to the QB's?

Everyone keeps saying we need a Pass Rushing DE but what about Carter? He really started bringing the pressure and looking comfortable towards the later half of the seasons. Are we going to bench him and play a rookie? Landry was IMO the best defensive player availible at our pick and he filled a need, that to me sounds like a win! I am so glad we didn't trade for Briggs because that would have been a disapointment to me

Landry will be a good fit with this defense. I think the issue is that we cant address our other needs (DL) because we dont have any picks. Landry will make this defense better, but a solid DLineman would make this defense scary. A 2nd round pick could answer this problem, but again we dont have one. Carter played tough down the stretch, but he needs nelp.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Hunter

Well look at it this way, our d-line wasnt a part of the pass rushing aspect of our defense when we where in the top 5 at dfense, our d-lines job was to do one thing and one thing only....stop the run! There was a huge gapping hole in our seconndary, and Sean had to stay back there and be a crossing gaurdto the hole damn secondary...We spent money on our d-line last off-season, and we were plagued with inu\juries all year...Stop crying! I am freakin thrilled we finally picked stellar talent instead of trading down for the bargain bin...I'm looking foward to great things in our secondary...We now have depth, and extreme talent back there. The only reason our d-line looked so freakin bad was because our secondary was horrible. For every action there is a reaction. Stop pointing the finger at our d-line, our secondary has always been the strength of our defense, and now we fixed it. We finally ave a true middle linebacker, and we can move lemar back to his original position. we're good. We can finally have each phase our our defense doing their own job. So, my message to the d-line is...."Get healthy guys and keep stopping the run! We finally got you guys some help!".....

Old 04-28-2007, 02:34 PM
Spirit

lets see our dline options
scenario1-trade for mccray(rfa who wants long term deal)
trade for rice(kinda old yuck)
sign ian scott

scenario 2: or trade 1 of next years picks to get a pick this year

i like scenario 2

Old 04-28-2007, 02:35 PM
Comanchero

Location: the darker recesses of lomas barbudal tropical forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonTribe
Thank God he's out of the SEC. I can't take watching him knock the crap out of Tide QBs anymore. Well... I don't mind him kicking the crap out of Brodie Croyle.
i think everyone in the sec is glad to saban's recruits/trainees start to attrite
(remember josh reed). it'll be nice in a seasone or two to see the saban 2.0 players start laying wood for the good guys though.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Chief

Quote:

I agree our defensive line was horrible last year but that's still no reason to do anything irrational and ignore the value Landry presents. A player like Landry doesn't come along every year while drafting Anderson would have been a reach. The fact that we seemingly can't draft anyone to help our d-line (you never know) is to be blamed on the front office for fretting away picks, not the selection of Landry. I for one cannot wait to see him play.

Also answer me this. Which elite defensive end did we have when our defense finished 3rd overall? Didn't Shawn Springs lead the team in sacks? What I'm more worried about is Salave'a and especially Griffin getting healthy and returning to form.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:37 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan36
i agree with you shally and landry is rated best in the draft on defense by most. we will fix this dline something is in the works i feel.
we have to

of course, we will likely send chicago next year's number one for briggs.. further strengthening the back 7

Old 04-28-2007, 02:38 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BtwnDaTackles
Well look at it this way, our d-line wasnt a part of the pass rushing aspect of our defense when we where in the top 5 at dfense, our d-lines job was to do one thing and one thing only....stop the run! There was a huge gapping hole in our seconndary, and Sean had to stay back there and be a crossing gaurdto the hole damn secondary...We spent money on our d-line last off-season, and we were plagued with inu\juries all year...Stop crying! I am freakin thrilled we finally picked stellar talent instead of trading down for the bargain bin...I'm looking foward to great things in our secondary...We now have depth, and extreme talent back there. The only reason our d-line looked so freakin bad was because our secondary was horrible. For every action there is a reaction. Stop pointing the finger at our d-line, our secondary has always been the strength of our defense, and now we fixed it. We finally ave a true middle linebacker, and we can move lemar back to his original position. we're good. We can finally have each phase our our defense doing their own job. So, my message to the d-line is...."Get healthy guys and keep stopping the run! We finally got you guys some help!".....
and that is why GW is out on an island with his schemes.. and maybe why he got no more offers to be a head coach this past year.

he is pretty unique inthat regard. even buddy ryans schemes relied upon a fine d line. they didnt just tie up the o linemen

GW is going to sink or swim on this move

Old 04-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Spirit

Quote:
we have to

of course, we will likely send chicago next year's number one for briggs.. further strengthening the back 7
id say a second if it happens not a first

Old 04-28-2007, 02:40 PM
Comanchero

Location: the darker recesses of lomas barbudal tropical forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BtwnDaTackles

good points. we have the guy archuletta was supposed to be, only better at coverage (better than arch was supposed to be, much better than he actually was). i can see them bringing in pp in pass situations for next season, and ll for run downs (alot like we anticipated seeing this past season). then in 08 ll ought to be an every downer. we can talk all we want about positions of need, but ll will likely play more this season than anyone we would've drafted on the dline.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry
I agree our defensive line was horrible last year but that's still no reason to do anything irrational and ignore the value Landry presents. A player like Landry doesn't come along every year while drafting Anderson would have been a reach. The fact that we seemingly can't draft anyone to help our d-line (you never know) is to be blamed on the front office for fretting away picks, not the selection of Landry. I for one cannot wait to see him play.

Also answer me this. Which elite defensive end did we have when our defense finished 3rd overall? Didn't Shawn Springs lead the team in sacks? What I'm more worried about is Salave'a and especially Griffin getting healthy and returning to form.
Griff and Springs tied for the sack lead in '04. We didn't force many turnovers that year either, even though we did have the 3rd ranked defense in yardage. GW has a track record for defenses that don't force many turnovers. I wish that would change but it doesn't appear that it will any time soon.

There are no mistakes, just happy accidents.
-- Bob Ross