Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 09-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
Actually, I think you're quite wrong here. The Cover-2 does well shutting down screens since the Lbs are in coverage and not over pursuing with the Cbs are playing shallower. Reid's desire to go downfield more is limited by the safety play. Not having a true Flanker makes their offense more vulnerable to the Cover-2(see what Tampa's defense has done to them consistently) along with having a TE who's nowhere near 100%.
i hope you are right about the eagles tight ends.. somehow, whether it has been lewis or smith the eagle tight ends have usually had big games against us, it always seems

they are supposed to be high on their rookie tight end

Old 09-10-2007, 10:49 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
i hope you are right about the eagles tight ends.. somehow, whether it has been lewis or smith the eagle tight ends have usually had big games against us, it always seems

they are supposed to be high on their rookie tight end
LJ Smith hasn't done that much against us: 19/184 in 8 games, Chad Lewis had 19 catches for 246 yards in 12 games against us. Smith is hurt, and none of their WRs are quality--even Brown. The Skins will have to stop Westbrook and pressure McNabb(who looks slow).

Old 09-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
LJ Smith hasn't done that much against us: 19/184 in 8 games, Chad Lewis had 19 catches for 246 yards in 12 games against us. Smith is hurt, and none of their WRs are quality--even Brown. The Skins will have to stop Westbrook and pressure McNabb(who looks slow).
you are absolutely correct about westbrook. he IS their offense.. but they have known this before and not been able to do something about it..

as for pressuring mcnabb, i doubt our front 4 can do it on their own. if we blitz, we better get there or we stand to get gashed, despite their lack of quality receivers

i still like the idea of using landry as the primary guy to cover westbrook.
call it a spy, call it a football version of the "box and 1" defense. but i think he matches up well and if he is close to the line he should be in a position to mark westbrook continuously..

somehow, that doesnt sound like something that GW would do, but i sure would be curious to see how it would work

Old 09-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Spirit

yeah that cushion needs to go its very annoying

Old 09-11-2007, 01:34 AM
Great Spirit

I have the nagging feeling that, as much as they don't want to admit it, as much as every coach preaches that he never looks a week ahead, the staff was holding things back. I mean, let's look at this first two games.

Miami: Generally crappy team. New quarterback as old as Brunell. Hasn't really been able to do anything on offense in years. Out of conference opponent. Doesn't even factor into playoff tiebreakers.

Philly: Good team. Pro Bowlers all over the offense. Conference opponent. Division opponent. On the road. Factors into every playoff tiebreaker.

It's quite likely that Williams wanted to play this one close to the vest so he could throw some wrinkles at the Eagles. Plus, seriously, look at Miami. If you were gameplanning for them, knowing that your offense probably isn't gonna be gelled or consistent yet, what would you do? Stick with uber-conservatism as long as the game's close and dare the Dolphins to put a whole bunch of successful short plays together on several drives, or take a bunch of risks early that Miami might exploit for a couple big plays that would give them a cushion they otherwise would be extraordinarily unlikely to earn the hard way?

I can't fault Williams for playing it the way he did. I probably would have done the same thing. There was no reason to believe that the Dolphins would manage to be consistent on offense.

Now, if we play the same defense this week, I'll be extremely worried. But if Vegas was offering odds on Williams throwing the kitchen sink at the Eagles this week, I'd put a whole lot of money on "yes."

Santana Moss
Colt Brennan
Anthony Montgomery
Fred Smoot

Last edited by JoeDaSchmoe : 09-11-2007 at 01:36 AM.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:36 AM
themightyjoegibbs

We are going to get a nearly perfect estimate early on against these "able or capable" QB's about where we stand as far as getting pressure on the QB and if that jeopardizes our coverages with this CB situation.

I've been spreading all sorts of propaganda on this site...... about our CB's. We can't give way to an easy cushions. We did in week 1 I don't want to see that throughout an entire game. GW shame on you.

I don't like the perspective of not SHOWING too much. Going back to the preseason Vanilla approach. I would like GW to play his game. If teams wanna see what we do in game scenarios fine. Lets execute and have them beat us at it like they will have their chance in a game. It makes little sense to not do what we do and be who we are. As much as I love GW I question the coverages. Thats sorta off topic.

I want GW to send CB blitzes, something I think Rogers/SS are good at. Rogers- it may be all he is good at, just being close to the line and being involved in tackles. SS seems too brittle and could suffer Boo-Boo's while Smoot is a cover guy that gets lumped up and burned. Thats his legacy, he takes the good with the bad.

I don't think the defense will be aggressive like always but I am so eager to see their identity back to what I referred to earlier. I wanna show off our guys. Rocky is going to be a variable in every game- I wouldn't trust him with coverage on Westbrook but LJ Smith sure but I would like to see him running down McNabb like all day long. We know what to get from in Fletcher with his nose for tackles. Marcus- does anyone think he is losing something?? He seems to be really off...even in preseason(I'm suspicious about him lately

Old 09-11-2007, 01:40 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDaSchmoe View Post
I have the nagging feeling that, as much as they don't want to admit it, as much as every coach preaches that he never looks a week ahead, the staff was holding things back. I mean, let's look at this first two games.

Miami: Generally crappy team. New quarterback as old as Brunell. Hasn't really been able to do anything on offense in years. Out of conference opponent. Doesn't even factor into playoff tiebreakers.

Philly: Good team. Pro Bowlers all over the offense. Conference opponent. Division opponent. On the road. Factors into every playoff tiebreaker.

It's quite likely that Williams wanted to play this one close to the vest so he could throw some wrinkles at the Eagles. Plus, seriously, look at Miami. If you were gameplanning for them, knowing that your offense probably isn't gonna be gelled or consistent yet, what would you do? Stick with uber-conservatism as long as the game's close and dare the Dolphins to put a whole bunch of successful short plays together on several drives, or take a bunch of risks early that Miami might exploit for a couple big plays that would give them a cushion they otherwise would be extraordinarily unlikely to earn the hard way?

I can't fault Williams for playing it the way he did. I probably would have done the same thing. There was no reason to believe that the Dolphins would manage to be consistent on offense.

Now, if we play the same defense this week, I'll be extremely worried. But if Vegas was offering odds on Williams throwing the kitchen sink at the Eagles this week, I'd put a whole lot of money on "yes."

i dont know about that.. holding back on an opponent is a good way to get beaten.. on the late pass that ARE tried to catch, but couldnt quite.. well if he doesnt get his hand on it, the ball is headed right to a miami db.. maybe he drops it the way smoot did ? or more likely he is headed to the endzone witha game clinching td.. it is sometimes that close between winning and losing.

are we going to hold back against the giants if they are missing manning, jacobs and osi ? nope. we better crush the life out of them when we get the chance

Old 09-11-2007, 02:14 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
i dont know about that.. holding back on an opponent is a good way to get beaten.. on the late pass that ARE tried to catch, but couldnt quite.. well if he doesnt get his hand on it, the ball is headed right to a miami db.. maybe he drops it the way smoot did ? or more likely he is headed to the endzone witha game clinching td.. it is sometimes that close between winning and losing.

are we going to hold back against the giants if they are missing manning, jacobs and osi ? nope. we better crush the life out of them when we get the chance
So, if you were Williams, and you knew that all your conservative playcalling resulted in Miami not scoring a single point until the very last play of the first half, you would have planned to change a lot of what you were doing in the second half?

Santana Moss
Colt Brennan
Anthony Montgomery
Fred Smoot

Old 09-11-2007, 06:24 AM

Quote:
If memory serves, I think the TEs and McNabb have always made the key big plays thoguh...

Either way we have to play physical and blitz.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:45 AM
hR Owner

Folks, sometimes an offense will dictate that a defense must adjust. If they're going with max protect schemes blitzing isn't a good idea because they're ready for it. GW played a scheme that dictated that Miami would have to have long drives and get small chunks of yards. No big plays. He did that, he took the big plays away from them and force them into dinks and dumps. I believe what he wanted to happen happened.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Brave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail2skins View Post
Folks, sometimes an offense will dictate that a defense must adjust. If they're going with max protect schemes blitzing isn't a good idea because they're ready for it. GW played a scheme that dictated that Miami would have to have long drives and get small chunks of yards. No big plays. He did that, he took the big plays away from them and force them into dinks and dumps. I believe what he wanted to happen happened.
Exactly, but Westbrook maybe the best screen back in the game. The interesting part to me is the mix and adjustments that will go on between Reid and GW. This defense IMO is potentially the best we have had since 91.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I hope we change the 3rd down package to Chris Wilson (resting MW) and selectively blitz 10-15% Springs, Taylor, Landry, Rocky, and/or Rogers. If the Iggles come out in max protect, instead of blitzing we spy Westbrook with Landry and move Taylor deep. The middle may be open for the TE but it may work out for this game. MW would only get 10-15 plays, and maybe even activate Torrence and blitz him from the nickel once or twice. Speed kills, lets see some more of it.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:19 AM
Firebuilder

Quote:
You're watching another Cb and not Rogers. Smoot has been awful and Rogers has been solid at CB.

Dude, wipe your glasses.... The fins TD was right at Rogers, and the first down to set up a field goal was to Rogers... Smoot had a GOOD game. Rogers is our weak spot.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:32 AM

you know ......... DB coverage won't / wouldn't be a issue IF McNabb is under a lot of pressure from our front 4 ............. AND THERE is our PROBLEM and that's what Williams has to figure out.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDaSchmoe View Post

Great post. I agree 100% with your assessment. This is the week we unveil our "new" defense.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openallnight View Post
Great post. I agree 100% with your assessment. This is the week we unveil our "new" defense.
We aren't good enough to be holding back any cards. Nobody is and especially not us.