Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 09-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Sentinel

We gave up 13 points. We gave up one touchdown and 2 field goals. I don't see what everyone else saw about guys getting picked on and burnt and this and that. If we are disappointed in giving up 13 points, 1 touchdown in the last seconds of the first half, then you can be disappointed with anything. I mean we were the 31st ranked defense in the NFL. I know we are better this year but what are we as fans expecting, the Ravens defense from a few years ago? We are going to go from 31st to giving up 1 touchdown week 1. I don't know if we are being realistic as fans. Are these the same guys that said the Redskins defense will be terrible we didn't take Okoye or Anderson we were crazy and our defense is going to stink to now we gave up 1 touchdown and we are under performing. Williams was not in my mind holding things back for the next game against the Eagles as much as the basic cover 2 with the corners 10 yards off is working and should Williams who I am hard on say this is working but let me run my defense to prove how smart I am even though the cover 2 has only given up 1 touchdown. Should Williams try all kinds of exotic blitzes and cover 1 when base defense was shutting them down. Again we gave up 13 points.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:51 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Cat View Post
We gave up 13 points. We gave up one touchdown and 2 field goals. I don't see what everyone else saw about guys getting picked on and burnt and this and that. If we are disappointed in giving up 13 points, 1 touchdown in the last seconds of the first half, then you can be disappointed with anything. I mean we were the 31st ranked defense in the NFL. I know we are better this year but what are we as fans expecting, the Ravens defense from a few years ago? We are going to go from 31st to giving up 1 touchdown week 1. I don't know if we are being realistic as fans. Are these the same guys that said the Redskins defense will be terrible we didn't take Okoye or Anderson we were crazy and our defense is going to stink to now we gave up 1 touchdown and we are under performing. Williams was not in my mind holding things back for the next game against the Eagles as much as the basic cover 2 with the corners 10 yards off is working and should Williams who I am hard on say this is working but let me run my defense to prove how smart I am even though the cover 2 has only given up 1 touchdown. Should Williams try all kinds of exotic blitzes and cover 1 when base defense was shutting them down. Again we gave up 13 points.
And we still couldn't get a consistent pass rush against a poor Oline and Smoot was toast all day. The Dolphins were singling him out for attention because he just couldn't cover. Both of those should be concerning. Just because we held a poor offense to 13 points isn't cause for celebration.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Sachem

Maybe a better topic for another thread, but JLC does not include Springs in his prediction. Doesn't even mention him. Not a good sign.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Runner

I do not believe that the eagles will burn the redskins secondary. You have to remember that most of the deep pass have to get past the cornerback and the saftey. Sean Taylor was not tested very much in the first game, but expect a big game out of him early because they will try to go deep and taylor will shut it down.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Spirit

deep passes have to go through taylor and landry aka area 51

Old 09-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Papoose

im not sure what we do with our secondary but i know that if we dont blitz and get in McNabb's face he will have a field day. he will have time to improvise, hitting a receiver for a big play, and he's gonna be doing his smiling, giggling, and moonwalking antics if we make it fun for him. even if we give up a big play by blitzing we have to do it to get him off his rhythm

"I looked over there and i saw their starting offensive tackle. Some rookie named 'Conover.' I started to salivate."

"On the first play of the game, I was going to lay into him, with all my might, and let him know that he would be in an all day fight for his life--A fight that he had no chance of winning."

-Charles Mann before 1991 NFC Championship Game

Old 09-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
i think that given JJ's reputation for blitzing, he uses that as a decoy a lot and then drops back into coverage. it might be a very good game for JC to use a hard count, a long count, and to see if he can make them commit to what they are doing
should be a lot of head games going on between AS and JJ
Good call. Rolling Campbell out a time or two along with a misdirection play (reverse, etc.) might be of some value.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:43 AM
Healer

McNabb has always been a problem for us with his legs. Busted plays can and have caused more problems to the D than their regular O, which is WR challenged (if Pinkston hadn't been hurt he would still be starting for them given the competition on the roster now). If the observation that McNabb from the GB game appears somewhat mobility challenged this could be a different type of game.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell2Moss13 View Post
I do not believe that the eagles will burn the redskins secondary. You have to remember that most of the deep pass have to get past the cornerback and the saftey. Sean Taylor was not tested very much in the first game, but expect a big game out of him early because they will try to go deep and taylor will shut it down.
based upon long history as well as taylor's tendency inthe past to bite on play action, i would be very concerned about the deep pass.

we need to step up and prove this is a different year and a different defense.
i am fine with our run defense- i am not sold on our pass defense as of yet