Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 01-07-2008, 06:10 PM
hR Owner

I just looked at this play about 20 times now. The one thing I'm curious about is Moss ran his route and turned to the inside away from the sidelines and looked for the ball. He was a good 5-7 yards away from the sidelines. Trufant caught the ball about 1 yard off the sideline. Once Moss turned to the inside, he stopped running but his head did eventually turn to track the ball to to Trufant. He did attempt to tackle him.

My question is was the ball thrown to the wrong shoulder or did Moss run the wrong route.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail2skins View Post
I just looked at this play about 20 times now. The one thing I'm curious about is Moss ran his route and turned to the inside away from the sidelines and looked for the ball. He was a good 5-7 yards away from the sidelines. Trufant caught the ball about 1 yard off the sideline. Once Moss turned to the inside, he stopped running but his head did eventually turn to track the ball to to Trufant. He did attempt to tackle him.

My question is was the ball thrown to the wrong shoulder or did Moss run the wrong route.
the bad ball might have been because collins was nailed by fabini who was getting blown up, again. That might have made the throw wide instead of deep down the field?

Old 01-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatest2 View Post
the bad ball might have been because collins was nailed by fabini who was getting blown up, again. That might have made the throw wide instead of deep down the field?
Could very well be a reason too. Honestly, I think if there's any single person to blame for losing, it'd be Fabini. Might as well have a 400lbs fatman in his place.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
The only way I could agree with keeping Moss is if they go out and get a talented(vet or rookie) Flanker WR and give Moss one more year to get his crap together. If they have a chance to add a clearly more talented WR at the expense of Moss, I don't see how they could pass on it. Mix has potential, but he appears to be a long term project more than anything.
As much as I want to defend Moss, I simply can't. He is extremely inconsistent, susceptible to injury, and has allowed us to at the very least debate the possibility that he doesn't go all out on every play. He also doesn't appear to be the brightest crayon in the box, having watched his interviews over the past few seasons.

However...I would like to have him back. Unless, as you have suggested, we have the opportunity to get a better #1 WR at the expense of Moss. Despite all the question marks that preceed him, he still has blazing speed and can make plays that no one else on this roster can make. He isn't going to revert back to 2005 form-and I don't think anyone should expect him to- but he can still be a contributer on this team. If we can flip him for a better WR1, then I'm all for it. But all in all, I think our offense would be best served for next season by adding either Berrian or Bryant Johnson to team with Moss, Randel El, and whoever survives between Thrash, Caldwell, McCardell, and to a lessor extent, Mix. (I can make an argument for each of those guys, but only two can stay.

Honestly, he's not worth $6 million a year, which is what you estimated his salary plus bonus to be several pages ago (if I correctly understood what you were writing). No way would I sign him to a deal that lucrative today, but he is already on the roster and a part of this team. I don't think the team will be able to field a better product with the extra cash from parting ways with Moss than it will by keeping him and adding talent around him.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Spirit

id like to add a big rookie reciever like hardy,or the guy from kentucky

Old 01-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Great Spirit

There are rumors floating that Detroit my be willing to trade Roy Williams and Shaun Rogers in a package deal. The price would probably be astronomical lol.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Cat View Post
Griff and Springs are good players who are starting next year going to be paid like great players. Springs had a horrible game last week but he actually in my opinion had a good season. But is his season worth 6-7 million dollars a year? I think that is a hard question. I am leaning towards no. And after his standing strong last off season to get what his contract said he was suppose to get this year I don't see him voluntering for a restructure this year. Cornelius Griffen is probably now with Sean Taylor gone our 1st or 2nd best defensive player, but his salary is also going through the roof. Should he get paid like Kevin Williams from Minnesota or Henderson from the Jags? I think we have to decide and think about it. Plus the overall fact that we are kind of an old team on defense. Springs, Fletcher, Griffen, Daniels, Washington. Do you hold it together one more year and pay all the money and risk getting old all at once or do you make a move on these guys now and move them one year to early instead of one year to late.
Of the players in bold above, I would have to think that Washington and Daniels would be cut this year. Both are cheaper to cut than to play, and neither has played at the level required.

Griffin, while getting a little long in the tooth, had a much better year, stayed healthy, and is a big part of the reason that Monty and Golston are able to have success. His contract would have to be renegotiated for him to stay, since he's another one of those guys who are cheaper to cut than to play. Still, I'd rather see him stick around. He allows the Skins to slowly bring along the younger guys.

Springs is the best CB on the team, right now. Given the health of Rogers, and the lack of depth at CB, I think it would be foolish to get rid of Springs without having a FA acquisition ready to take over as the #1 CB. If the FO can't find a corner of that caliber for a reasonable price on the market, I would rather see them restructure Springs.

Fletcher will likely last another year or two before the Skins need to worry about the wheels coming off. Even in that eventuality, it appears that Blades is already the heir apparent.

Altogether, the defense, I felt, got younger this year, and we will most likely see more of a youth movement as Daniels is fired out of a canon from Redskin park, and Griffin has to compete for his job.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Hunter

I gotta disagree with those that said Todd Collins shouldn't have thrown that ball. It was a similar ball to a couple we've seen in previous games.

I wish I could remember which games they were in, but there was one that was a similar play with Moss or Randle El down the right sideline. It looked like the corner was going to pick it but it somehow got through and was caught for a big gain. The other was the TD Moss scored where Collins just threw it up and he simply went up and got the ball on the 2 and backed into the endzone.

Collins was trusting Moss to make a play on that throw. It didn't look like the safety would have gotten there in time so I think Collins was betting on Moss making a play 1 on 1 with the CB.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHokieSkin View Post
I gotta disagree with those that said Todd Collins shouldn't have thrown that ball. It was a similar ball to a couple we've seen in previous games.

I wish I could remember which games they were in, but there was one that was a similar play with Moss or Randle El down the right sideline. It looked like the corner was going to pick it but it somehow got through and was caught for a big gain. The other was the TD Moss scored where Collins just threw it up and he simply went up and got the ball on the 2 and backed into the endzone.

Collins was trusting Moss to make a play on that throw. It didn't look like the safety would have gotten there in time so I think Collins was betting on Moss making a play 1 on 1 with the CB.
I agree with you. I would estimate that a #1 receiver should beat a corner 75% of the time in a one on one situation. And that percentage goes up with an elite #1 receiver.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Buck

My complaint is not so much that the ball was not caught, but that it was not defended ala Art Monk. Lights ,Seagull pooh in the eye, whatever, atleast stay with Trufant if you couldn't locate the ball. Deadball we are still in the game with 5:30 left.