Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > Navajo ALL NFL Tribe

Spygate just can't go away.....
Old 02-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Chief

Default Spygate just can't go away.....

Now a congressman wants to know why the NFL destroyed the Spygate tapes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3225539

He's also a lifelong Eagles fan if that means anything.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Runner

I thought that baseball was the only professional sport that was exempt from antitrust laws.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:36 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolla Bill View Post
Now a congressman wants to know why the NFL destroyed the Spygate tapes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3225539

He's also a lifelong Eagles fan if that means anything.
Spector's a Senator, and logically, the only reason Goodell destroyed the tapes is because they implicate many other teams. There's zero reason to destroy them if they're just one team's tapes.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
Spector's a Senator, and logically, the only reason Goodell destroyed the tapes is because they implicate many other teams. There's zero reason to destroy them if they're just one team's tapes.
and the LAST thing the nfl wants is to have this issue bubbling up again.. bellichick is not the only one who has "moved on."

Old 02-01-2008, 04:44 PM
hR Owner

Quote:
How could tapes the Patriots have implicate other teams. I was thinking more of it being involved in the playoffs and SB's. I don't get how they could implicate other teams.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:07 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail2skins View Post
How could tapes the Patriots have implicate other teams. I was thinking more of it being involved in the playoffs and SB's. I don't get how they could implicate other teams.
If the Pats turned over tapes filmed by other franchises brought over by migrating assistant coaches, it would.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:39 PM
hR Owner

Quote:
If the Pats turned over tapes filmed by other franchises brought over by migrating assistant coaches, it would.
I think that's a bit much of a stretch.

Hey, we want you aboard but don't forget the tapes we want. LOL.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:47 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
I think that's a bit much of a stretch.

Hey, we want you aboard but don't forget the tapes we want. LOL.
If other teams are doing it, and you hire an assistant coach from a team that's doing it, you'd want them to bring those tapes-especially if he has tapes of teams/coaches you don't have.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Healer

Just a thought...

Not wanting to sound like a New England hater...

...but if the NFL wanted any evidence destroyed, why not just quash the whole story to begin with and avoid any accusations from the get-go...?

Just seems bizarre that to begin with, NFL would allow one of its elite teams to be brought under the microscope for a practice that "routinely" goes on. And then destroy the evidence to prevent any bad publicity - when, if that being case, they had the power to do that originally and avoid the whole shenanigans to begin with...

Oh, and then the NFL hammers that team's coach for a fair few greenies - who pleads the fifth and shells out without a fuss.

Unless, the NFL actually paid the fine for him...

Old 02-01-2008, 07:55 PM
hR Owner

Quote:
If other teams are doing it, and you hire an assistant coach from a team that's doing it, you'd want them to bring those tapes-especially if he has tapes of teams/coaches you don't have.
I don't know, seems farfetched.

Just reading the story on ESPN about Spector (sp?). I find it funny he waits this long to speak up during SB week.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Healer

If there is one thing politicians as old in sin as Arlen Specter learn its that timing is everything when it comes to exposing dirty laundry. And he's right, it is suspicious as hell. The only reason the NFL would do it is to cover up something big enough to really stir the pot. My money in Vegas says that thing was Super Bowl tapes.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:19 AM
Sagamore

Quote:
I don't know, seems farfetched.

Just reading the story on ESPN about Spector (sp?). I find it funny he waits this long to speak up during SB week.

The Boston Globe's Dan Shaughnessy thinks that this has really, really, angered the team. Very bad timing, Senator. uh-oh.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...el_to_the_ire/

Old 02-02-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
They don'tt. IMO Akh is wrong on this one. The NFL sees the circus following baseball around on the steriod issue so they tried to put a swift conclusion to it. They fined the Pats heavily (not heavily enough for my tastes) and destroyed the evidence simply so they could move forward.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Grumpy Old Man

i agree.. everybody wants this behind them.. the last thing the league, the pats
and any other teams want is this continuing to fester with the opportunity of players and officals being called to testify UNDER OATH to congress.. a real mess

on the other hand, if i were betting, i would press my bets on the pats right now.. i believe that as much of a mission as they had been up to now, they will try and smoke the giants for 4 quarters, if possible

Old 02-02-2008, 10:49 AM

Location: Lawn Guyland, NY (my heart will always be in Arlington, Va)

If PFT's story is even remotely correct, the Pats have some serious questions to answer. I love that there could be a big fat black eye on their titles.

http://beta.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Quote:
“According to a source close to the team during the 2001 season, here’s what happened. On Feb. 2, 2002, one day before the Patriots’ Super Bowl game against heavily favored St. Louis in New Orleans, the Patriots visited the Superdome for their final walkthrough.

“After completing the walkthrough, they had their team picture taken and the Rams then took the field. According to the source, a member of the team’s video staff stayed behind after attending the team’s walkthrough and filmed St. Louis’ walkthrough.

“At no point was he asked to identify himself or produce a press pass, the source said. The cameraman rode the media shuttle back to the hotel with news photographers when the Rams walkthrough was completed, the source said.”