Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hR General Sports Fan Forums > Sioux General Sports Tribe

The 2009 NASCAR Thread
Old 11-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Chief Moderator

Default The 2009 NASCAR Thread

Daytona is 12 weeks away...

Click HERE for the 2008 NASCAR Thread which reached 577 total posts.
Click HERE for the 2007 NASCAR Thread which reached 1,093 total posts.
Click HERE for the 2006 NASCAR Thread which reached 665 total posts.
Click HERE for the 2005 NASCAR Thread which reached 158 total posts.

Sad to see our post count drop to 2005 levels. Everyone must be tired of watching Johnson dominating.

I'll be recharged and ready for the 500 in only 12 weeks...hopefully so will all of you. Here is looking to another solid year of discussing NASCAR.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Chief Moderator

And my first order of business is to post the new 2009 paint scheme for the #20 Logano Home Depot Toyota...

Looks an awful lot like Tony's paint scheme from 2004. I personally like the all-orange schemes, but this will be fine...

Old 12-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Shaman

Sounds like Sadler just got fired.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:38 PM
hR Owner

Going to Daytona this year.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:23 AM
Shaman

Rumors have HOF Racing out of business.

Nascar needs a 3 way championship battle this year between Edwards, Kyle, and Jr. Badly.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead View Post
Rumors have HOF Racing out of business.
No loss to the sport. Even though they were getting JGR cars, they didn't have the personell in place to set them up correctly.

Quote:
Nascar needs a 3 way championship battle this year between Edwards, Kyle, and Jr. Badly.
Agreed....anybody but Johnson. (or Junior )

My early money is on Carl in '09, although I think Kyle will get back into his winning ways early again and finish the regular season in the top 3. Assuming he doesn't have car problems early in the chase, he should be a strong contender.

My sleepers for '09 so far are David Ragan and David Reutimman. Both could make the chase, IMO.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Sagamore

Talledega is lowering ticket prices to $40 in the grandstands. They usually run $70-$75. This is due to the economy, and to recognize the track's 40th anniversary.

I hope we see Jr. and Jeff Gordon race well this year. And Stewart. Don't much like Bush or Johnson.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Chief Moderator

Ok...so with the 500 about a month away, I thought I'd post the team rosters, just so we could see how much movement there was. Not every driver is 100% confirmed, so keep that in mind.

MWR
00 - David R.
55 - Mikey

Childress
07 - Casey "Nine Lives" Mears
29 - Harvick
31- Burton
33 - Bowyer

Earnhardt/Ganassi
1 - Truex
8 - Almirola
42 - JPM

Yates
28 - Kvapil
38 - David G.
98 - Menard

Penske
2 - Busch
77 - Hornish
12 - Stremme

Hendrick
5 - Martin
24 - Gordon
48 -Johnson
88 - Jr

Roush
6 - Ragan
16 - Biff
17 - Kenseth
26 - McMurray
99 - Carl

RedBull
82- Scott Speed
83 - Vickers

Gillett/Evernham/Petty
9 - Kahne
10 - AJ Allmendinger (not fully confirmed - may do partial sched.)
19 - Sadler
43 - Sorenson

Gibbs
11 - Hamlin
18 - Busch
20 - Logano

Stewart/Hass
14 - Stewart
39 - Newman

A few Single Teams
7 - Robby
96 - Labonte (HOF)
21 - Bill Elliot (Wood - partial)
Several others in the works...but not too many full timers

Old 01-15-2009, 01:39 AM
Shaman

So who is going to get the ax at Roush? Kenseth's contract is up this season.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
So who is going to get the ax at Roush? Kenseth's contract is up this season.
I heard on the radio this weekend that France is considering grandfathering Roush at least for one more season (after this one); due to the economic climate. The reasoning; fewer teams are able to field competitive cars and taking one away from Jack would continue to hurt the # of cars each race will field. (and hurt the sport, yada yada yada) The fear is that there will already be several races this year that don't field 43 cars....and France's bigger fear is that 2010 doesn't have a single race with 43 cars.

I personally don't like Jack so I'm hoping he has to cut a car. Screw him. If he was smart, he would cut the #26 and move them over to Yates/HOF. McMurray is a psychological mess anyway...and will never make it to the upper tier of this sport.

Side note: I was watching Preseason Thunder last night and broadcaster John Roberts nicknamed the new Ganassi/Earnhardt racing team; "Chip N Dales". LMAO.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Shaman

Rumors say that the 96 alliance with Yates means that the #38 is no more.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
Rumors say that the 96 alliance with Yates means that the #38 is no more.
Good. I hate that #$!&!Y^!, David Gilliland. He will always be known as the guy who took an unsponsored Nationwide car to victory lane and never panned out in Cup.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Shaman

The only races that nascar needs to worry about not full fields are California, Las Vegas, and Phoenix. Start and Park guys will show up.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:36 AM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
The only races that nascar needs to worry about not full fields are California, Las Vegas, and Phoenix. Start and Park guys will show up.
Assuming those teams have the $ to actually build a COT to spec. I'm guessing teams like Penske and Gibbs who don't have 4 full teams could potentially field a car for poops and giggles. But honestly, the whole "start and park" situation is an embarrasment....especially in the Nationwide series the past two years.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Chief Moderator

So in mid-June I made some Silly Season predictions for '09. Lets see how I did. My current comments in RED.

Link to post.

Mears to the RCR #33 with General Mills as sponsor - I got the Childress part right, except I had no clue they would swap him with Bowyer.
Stewart to the CNC #70 with Army as sponsor and Booty Barker as CC. I got the car # right (which now switched to #14) but the wrong sponsor and CC. I shoudl have swapped my Stewart and Newman sponsor predictions!
Newman to the DEI #8 with Office Depot as sponsor Got everything wrong on this.
Almirola to the DEI #1 with DISH as sponsor Called it correct on the team, just not the nubmer or sponsor. Plus, rumor has it Almirola may only be part time with Chip n Dales.
Martin to share time with Keselowski in the Hendrick #5 with Kellogs as sponsor Damn, I was close. I got everything right except for the sharing part. That's ok, by going fulltime he slighted Jack and I'm ok with that.
Logono to the JGR #20 with Home Depot as sponsor and Zippy as CC. Ding, Ding, Ding. Winna Winna chicken dinna.
Dan Wheldon to the Ganassi #41 with Target as sponsor Wrong on every account. Dan isn't going to NASCAR
Truex Jr to the CNC #66 with Bass Pro shops moving with him Nothing changed with Truex.
Stremme to the Penske #12 with UPS as sponsor Pretty happy that I called the driver, team and car number but I missed on the sponsor.
Reutimann to the Roush #26 with Crown Royal as sponsor Nope
McMurray to the Red Bull # 84 with Red Bull as sponsor Nope
Sorenson to the GEM #10 with Valvoline as sponsor Technically got the team right but nothing else. Sponsorship on the #43 is in the air and I don't think Valvoline is signed with anyone so this is still open...
Ambrose to drive full time in the Wood Bros. #21 with Lil Deb/Air Force as sponsors Nope, as Elliot is driving the #21 part time. However, Ambrose is now alligned with MWR and Lil Deb will be his sponsor. I like to think I got partial credit on this.
Also...Clint Bowyer and Greg Biffle will resign with their respective teams. Bingo!

I'll be surprised if I get 15% of the above correct...lol. Maybe 10% with the Logano gimme.