Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 02-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblock804 View Post
How long are they going to keep Collins around anyway?
he has one year left.. 2009.. i dont see them keeping him past that

Old 02-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
We might as well take a look at Michael Vick to run some wildcat packages for us.....bring some energy to the offense. Offer him small money and benefit from the rewards of having an amazing athlete to work with. Certainly worth a look....we don't have much to lose right now, we will struggle for the next 2 years regardless
I'm not sure what impression this team is currently formulating, but I'd decidedly prefer that they avoid doing one of Dallas. I'm sure Vick will get a shot somewhere, but I sincerely hope it's not in DC.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
I'm not sure what impression this team is currently formulating, but I'd decidedly prefer that they avoid doing one of Dallas. I'm sure Vick will get a shot somewhere, but I sincerely hope it's not in DC.
who says he can run a WCO anyway ?

the only advantage i could see him bringing is how mobile he is.. less pressure on the O line in that way.. but he has a ton of negatives

Old 02-05-2009, 04:53 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
you obviously got little or nothing of what i actually said.

A. campbell needs competition because i am not convinced he is the long term answer.. apparently, the front office thinks along the same lines. providing him with competition does not necessarily make him work harder, but it does provide the team with a viable option if campbell is showing little progress by the halfway mark next year.

B. i NEVER said that leftwich was the best answer. i SAID a qb with true WCO experience would be better.. however, if the choice is between a younger stronger leftwich and collins, i could certainly live with leftwich.. but as of now, i dont think he is ideal.

C. colt is a non issue at this time and doesnt factor into the process at all

D. we obviously disagree about our opinion on campbell. you are entitled to your opinion, but i think that banking on him to be the longterm answer and offering him a contract extension based upon his past performance over 4 years now, is foolhardy
How about we ditch the WCO and just do what our players were assembled for in the first place?
The one disappointment of the off-season housecleaning that brought Allen and Shanahan here is that they didn't part ways with Larry Michael as well. He is a prominent and unavoidable symbol of the horrible way Snyder and Cerrator ran this team in the past. Moving on to a new era of Redskins football, on and off the field, should have meant severing ties with him as well.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
honestly, the only upside i am concerned about is the team's... if JC proves he is "it" i am fine with that decision.. if he doesnt, then we better have a viable plan B in the works.. collins really isnt it because he wont be with the team after next season-- at the longest..
the only real advantage leftwich would have is that he is young enough to provide a team with 5 years of stability-- if he works out.. but i am not sold on him as of now in any capacity except possible back up next year...
then there is no need to bring byron in. Your saying he is a viable plan B. my point is that you don't know that. The potential that he is, is highly unlikely given his skill set and con's for a west coast offense. the cons that come with bringing him in are more likely and offset whatever he brings.

AS fans i know its easy to cheer for the next guy on the bench, but we have to remember, most of the time, there is a reason why they are on the bench. 90 percent of the time if they are behind a average starter its because they are below average and not a diamond in the rough.

leftwich is not a fit for this offense. if this was a gibbs offense, with smash mouth-long ball connections, then yea, i may say he could be ok, but it ain't, and campbell is far better.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Shaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgundyNGold View Post
How about we ditch the WCO and just do what our players were assembled for in the first place?
If you recall, they never did that real well either.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgundyNGold View Post
it would be fine with me...definitely some misfit between zorns schemes (whatever they might be??) and the players we actually have..

you cant replace all at once, hopefully we do get some fresh faces in zorn's offense next year.. same people usually equal same results...

Old 02-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by csquared View Post
Maybe Matt Hasselbeck gets cut. Sign him.. trade Campbell and draft our qb of the future. Sorry im not on the Campbell bandwagon and never have been. He is nothing more than a #2 qb in this league.....
Probably no doubt a fact that Hasselbeck would run the offense well. Its the nagging back spasms that would worry me. A condition like that doesn't seem to go away in aging athletes. If we could sign him short term maybe a year or so we could probably make a run just on his knowledge of the system if he were to stay on the field.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatest2 View Post
then there is no need to bring byron in. Your saying he is a viable plan B. my point is that you don't know that. The potential that he is, is highly unlikely given his skill set and con's for a west coast offense. the cons that come with bringing him in are more likely and offset whatever he brings.

AS fans i know its easy to cheer for the next guy on the bench, but we have to remember, most of the time, there is a reason why they are on the bench. 90 percent of the time if they are behind a average starter its because they are below average and not a diamond in the rough.

leftwich is not a fit for this offense. if this was a gibbs offense, with smash mouth-long ball connections, then yea, i may say he could be ok, but it ain't, and campbell is far better.
agree. agree. agree.. problem is that neither campbell nor collins appear to be a very good fit either.. maybe only colt brennan MIGHT be based upon the way he played in college. but he aint ready.. and may never be nfl ready..

which is why i keep coming back to needing a WCO QB as backup..
as you say, i think that leftwich is a lateral move- except in terms of age..

Old 02-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWGZHEAD View Post
Probably no doubt a fact that Hasselbeck would run the offense well. Its the nagging back spasms that would worry me. A condition like that doesn't seem to go away in aging athletes. If we could sign him short term maybe a year or so we could probably make a run just on his knowledge of the system if he were to stay on the field.
it is WAY more than back spasms..he had a whole year of sciatic pain referred into his leg and difficulty moving his knee because of that.. i havent heard anything about surgery this offseason, but i think you have to approach hasselbeck as though he is damaged goods until proven otherwise.. many medical red flags with him...

Old 02-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
it is WAY more than back spasms..he had a whole year of sciatic pain referred into his leg and difficulty moving his knee because of that.. i havent heard anything about surgery this offseason, but i think you have to approach hasselbeck as though he is damaged goods until proven otherwise.. many medical red flags with him...
Yeah, thats the thing with a player like that. He may be the comeback story of the year, or he may be holding a clipboard on the sidelines in a sweatshirt, or he may be here a game and then gone a game. A gamble.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Firebuilder

Sign him now, let him learn the playbook.
He does have super bowl ring!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Sachem

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsomniaKiller View Post
He never really impressed me as a started. But he sure looked good coming in for the Steelers when Ben went down. It's possible some time on the bench has served him well he's now capable of some good things.
He's good when given time. He makes smart decisions and has a strong arm. But he has no legs. And his release is very baseball-like which could lead to turnovers (especially with our pass protection). I like Byron but he's not better than Jason.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Healer

Byron held the ball a much shorter time than Rothlisberger, that's why he provided such a spark and beat us. His release is long, yes, but that is only an issue for getting the ball out if his anticipation is poor. His anticipation is quite good.

Where the release is a problem is allowing a half step to DBs to anticipate where the ball is coming out. Byron has never had a chronic interception habit, posting a double digit year as a rook but quite good ratios otherwise in his years as a starter.

The other plus Byron provides is accuracy. Jason has a great arm, yes, but his accuracy on the deep stuff is pitiful. Byron throws a very catchable deep ball.

I also don;t think that the WCO -fit issue is a big deal because wedon;t run a classic WCO. We run way more play-action and power-running plays than a straight WCO. Byron is a great fit for a run-play action offense whether it is run froma WCO set or not.

I hope we get Byron and let him compete to start. If he can win the job his contract can contain escalators for starts in a season. Even if he wins the job outright he might not hit the escalators, since the biggest knock on Byron is his injury history.

However, I would rather see Jeff Garcia or the Simms kid than Byron. They can both run the WCO already and let Zorn implement his playbook.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Chief

not a fan of leftwitch but will take him over collins...he only plays well when he comes here....so it might be a good fit...but not a fan of him.

May the LORD watch between me and thee, while we're abscent from one another....
May his peace be with you till we meet again my friend.

Amen

-Eric

Always count your blessings.

http://s939.photobucket.com/albums/a...1.jpg&newest=1