Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #46  
Old 02-05-2009, 11:46 AM
shally's Avatar
shally shally is offline
Grumpy Old Man
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: new orleans, now the palm springs of washington
Posts: 59,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblock804 View Post
How long are they going to keep Collins around anyway?
he has one year left.. 2009.. i dont see them keeping him past that
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #47  
Old 02-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Moe's Avatar
Moe Moe is offline
Healer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
We might as well take a look at Michael Vick to run some wildcat packages for us.....bring some energy to the offense. Offer him small money and benefit from the rewards of having an amazing athlete to work with. Certainly worth a look....we don't have much to lose right now, we will struggle for the next 2 years regardless
I'm not sure what impression this team is currently formulating, but I'd decidedly prefer that they avoid doing one of Dallas. I'm sure Vick will get a shot somewhere, but I sincerely hope it's not in DC.
__________________
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!
Reply With Quote

  #48  
Old 02-05-2009, 02:19 PM
shally's Avatar
shally shally is offline
Grumpy Old Man
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: new orleans, now the palm springs of washington
Posts: 59,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
I'm not sure what impression this team is currently formulating, but I'd decidedly prefer that they avoid doing one of Dallas. I'm sure Vick will get a shot somewhere, but I sincerely hope it's not in DC.
who says he can run a WCO anyway ?

the only advantage i could see him bringing is how mobile he is.. less pressure on the O line in that way.. but he has a ton of negatives
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #49  
Old 02-05-2009, 04:53 PM
BurgundyNGold's Avatar
BurgundyNGold BurgundyNGold is offline
hR Staff Writer
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 31,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
you obviously got little or nothing of what i actually said.

A. campbell needs competition because i am not convinced he is the long term answer.. apparently, the front office thinks along the same lines. providing him with competition does not necessarily make him work harder, but it does provide the team with a viable option if campbell is showing little progress by the halfway mark next year.

B. i NEVER said that leftwich was the best answer. i SAID a qb with true WCO experience would be better.. however, if the choice is between a younger stronger leftwich and collins, i could certainly live with leftwich.. but as of now, i dont think he is ideal.

C. colt is a non issue at this time and doesnt factor into the process at all

D. we obviously disagree about our opinion on campbell. you are entitled to your opinion, but i think that banking on him to be the longterm answer and offering him a contract extension based upon his past performance over 4 years now, is foolhardy
How about we ditch the WCO and just do what our players were assembled for in the first place?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins7ny
The one disappointment of the off-season housecleaning that brought Allen and Shanahan here is that they didn't part ways with Larry Michael as well. He is a prominent and unavoidable symbol of the horrible way Snyder and Cerrator ran this team in the past. Moving on to a new era of Redskins football, on and off the field, should have meant severing ties with him as well.
Reply With Quote

  #50  
Old 02-05-2009, 05:27 PM
greatest2 greatest2 is offline
Ghost Dancer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
honestly, the only upside i am concerned about is the team's... if JC proves he is "it" i am fine with that decision.. if he doesnt, then we better have a viable plan B in the works.. collins really isnt it because he wont be with the team after next season-- at the longest..
the only real advantage leftwich would have is that he is young enough to provide a team with 5 years of stability-- if he works out.. but i am not sold on him as of now in any capacity except possible back up next year...
then there is no need to bring byron in. Your saying he is a viable plan B. my point is that you don't know that. The potential that he is, is highly unlikely given his skill set and con's for a west coast offense. the cons that come with bringing him in are more likely and offset whatever he brings.

AS fans i know its easy to cheer for the next guy on the bench, but we have to remember, most of the time, there is a reason why they are on the bench. 90 percent of the time if they are behind a average starter its because they are below average and not a diamond in the rough.

leftwich is not a fit for this offense. if this was a gibbs offense, with smash mouth-long ball connections, then yea, i may say he could be ok, but it ain't, and campbell is far better.
Reply With Quote

  #51  
Old 02-05-2009, 05:36 PM
silverspring silverspring is offline
Shaman
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgundyNGold View Post
How about we ditch the WCO and just do what our players were assembled for in the first place?
If you recall, they never did that real well either.
Reply With Quote

  #52  
Old 02-05-2009, 05:46 PM
shally's Avatar
shally shally is offline
Grumpy Old Man
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: new orleans, now the palm springs of washington
Posts: 59,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgundyNGold View Post
How about we ditch the WCO and just do what our players were assembled for in the first place?
it would be fine with me...definitely some misfit between zorns schemes (whatever they might be??) and the players we actually have..

you cant replace all at once, hopefully we do get some fresh faces in zorn's offense next year.. same people usually equal same results...
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #53  
Old 02-05-2009, 05:47 PM
HAWGZHEAD's Avatar
HAWGZHEAD HAWGZHEAD is offline
Great Spirit
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Darkest corner of your mind
Posts: 11,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csquared View Post
Maybe Matt Hasselbeck gets cut. Sign him.. trade Campbell and draft our qb of the future. Sorry im not on the Campbell bandwagon and never have been. He is nothing more than a #2 qb in this league.....
Probably no doubt a fact that Hasselbeck would run the offense well. Its the nagging back spasms that would worry me. A condition like that doesn't seem to go away in aging athletes. If we could sign him short term maybe a year or so we could probably make a run just on his knowledge of the system if he were to stay on the field.
__________________
Best. Season. Ever.
Reply With Quote

  #54  
Old 02-05-2009, 05:49 PM
shally's Avatar
shally shally is offline
Grumpy Old Man
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: new orleans, now the palm springs of washington
Posts: 59,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatest2 View Post
then there is no need to bring byron in. Your saying he is a viable plan B. my point is that you don't know that. The potential that he is, is highly unlikely given his skill set and con's for a west coast offense. the cons that come with bringing him in are more likely and offset whatever he brings.

AS fans i know its easy to cheer for the next guy on the bench, but we have to remember, most of the time, there is a reason why they are on the bench. 90 percent of the time if they are behind a average starter its because they are below average and not a diamond in the rough.

leftwich is not a fit for this offense. if this was a gibbs offense, with smash mouth-long ball connections, then yea, i may say he could be ok, but it ain't, and campbell is far better.
agree. agree. agree.. problem is that neither campbell nor collins appear to be a very good fit either.. maybe only colt brennan MIGHT be based upon the way he played in college. but he aint ready.. and may never be nfl ready..

which is why i keep coming back to needing a WCO QB as backup..
as you say, i think that leftwich is a lateral move- except in terms of age..
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #55  
Old 02-05-2009, 05:51 PM
shally's Avatar
shally shally is offline
Grumpy Old Man
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: new orleans, now the palm springs of washington
Posts: 59,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWGZHEAD View Post
Probably no doubt a fact that Hasselbeck would run the offense well. Its the nagging back spasms that would worry me. A condition like that doesn't seem to go away in aging athletes. If we could sign him short term maybe a year or so we could probably make a run just on his knowledge of the system if he were to stay on the field.
it is WAY more than back spasms..he had a whole year of sciatic pain referred into his leg and difficulty moving his knee because of that.. i havent heard anything about surgery this offseason, but i think you have to approach hasselbeck as though he is damaged goods until proven otherwise.. many medical red flags with him...
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #56  
Old 02-05-2009, 06:05 PM
HAWGZHEAD's Avatar
HAWGZHEAD HAWGZHEAD is offline
Great Spirit
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Darkest corner of your mind
Posts: 11,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
it is WAY more than back spasms..he had a whole year of sciatic pain referred into his leg and difficulty moving his knee because of that.. i havent heard anything about surgery this offseason, but i think you have to approach hasselbeck as though he is damaged goods until proven otherwise.. many medical red flags with him...
Yeah, thats the thing with a player like that. He may be the comeback story of the year, or he may be holding a clipboard on the sidelines in a sweatshirt, or he may be here a game and then gone a game. A gamble.
__________________
Best. Season. Ever.
Reply With Quote

  #57  
Old 02-05-2009, 06:55 PM
redbamaskins's Avatar
redbamaskins redbamaskins is offline
Firebuilder
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Alabaster Alabama
Posts: 279
Default

Sign him now, let him learn the playbook.
He does have super bowl ring!
Reply With Quote

  #58  
Old 02-05-2009, 08:46 PM
give_portis_the_rock's Avatar
give_portis_the_rock give_portis_the_rock is offline
Sachem
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,718
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsomniaKiller View Post
He never really impressed me as a started. But he sure looked good coming in for the Steelers when Ben went down. It's possible some time on the bench has served him well he's now capable of some good things.
He's good when given time. He makes smart decisions and has a strong arm. But he has no legs. And his release is very baseball-like which could lead to turnovers (especially with our pass protection). I like Byron but he's not better than Jason.
Reply With Quote

  #59  
Old 02-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Meatsnack's Avatar
Meatsnack Meatsnack is offline
Healer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 3,018
Default

Byron held the ball a much shorter time than Rothlisberger, that's why he provided such a spark and beat us. His release is long, yes, but that is only an issue for getting the ball out if his anticipation is poor. His anticipation is quite good.

Where the release is a problem is allowing a half step to DBs to anticipate where the ball is coming out. Byron has never had a chronic interception habit, posting a double digit year as a rook but quite good ratios otherwise in his years as a starter.

The other plus Byron provides is accuracy. Jason has a great arm, yes, but his accuracy on the deep stuff is pitiful. Byron throws a very catchable deep ball.

I also don;t think that the WCO -fit issue is a big deal because wedon;t run a classic WCO. We run way more play-action and power-running plays than a straight WCO. Byron is a great fit for a run-play action offense whether it is run froma WCO set or not.

I hope we get Byron and let him compete to start. If he can win the job his contract can contain escalators for starts in a season. Even if he wins the job outright he might not hit the escalators, since the biggest knock on Byron is his injury history.

However, I would rather see Jeff Garcia or the Simms kid than Byron. They can both run the WCO already and let Zorn implement his playbook.
__________________
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." ~Winston Churchill
Ya Hear, Vinny?
Reply With Quote

  #60  
Old 02-05-2009, 10:59 PM
joethefan's Avatar
joethefan joethefan is offline
Chief
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 2 Miles from Fed Ex
Posts: 8,319
Default

not a fan of leftwitch but will take him over collins...he only plays well when he comes here....so it might be a good fit...but not a fan of him.
__________________
"You can't be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes. I've been blessed. God looked out for me. I'm happy."
- Sean Taylor

May the LORD watch between me and thee, while we're abscent from one another....
May his peace be with you till we meet again my friend.

Amen

-Eric


Always count your blessings.



http://s939.photobucket.com/albums/a...1.jpg&newest=1
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 PM.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
| Home | Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Today's Posts | Search | New Posts |