Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hR General Discussion Forums > Choctaw hR Gaming Forum

Old 07-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Warrior

I'm also fairly certain they deliberately made Wade Phillips look as unflattering as possible, so that's a huge plus, obviously.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Great Spirit

I haven't played much on offense yet because I keep taking Romo picks to the house lol. I also took a punt in I guess it was so easy because of the wind conditions effecting the kick. I am not a very good Madden player so I really can't tell what is that good or not. The gameplay and the way the guys move/hit/fall all seems more realistic to me. I'll probably buy this one just because I haven't had one in like 2 or 3 years.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsomniaKiller View Post
I downloaded the Cowboys / Giants demo just to see how it played with different teams. It's much, much harder to pass in this demo because you're basically playing in a weather pattern that's a few notches higher than a blizzard but not quite the apocalypse. The AI as far as running towards a player who recovers a fumble is bad, I did notice that on not every fumble, but more than one. However, Brandon Jacobs getting solo tackled by *anybody* is something I have yet to see. Playing with Beanie Wells on the Cards was all fine and dandy, and I had some success, but Jacobs is an absolute beast. The first play I ran was a toss play, Jacobs runs to the outside and meets the cornerback, and all I can say is that Jenkins ended up missing the rest of the game due to injury. Jacobs was then brought down by a linebacker and safety.

The next play was a run between the left guard and tackle. It took 5 people to bring him down. Go ahead and count!

http://insomniakiller.com/maddenjacobs.jpg

(edit: another thing I like that's noticeable in this picture is the font on the jerseys. It sounds silly but you can actually read their names now instead of being in that weird skinny font from the last couple years, and it looks much better.)

My first touchdown as the Giants (I feel so dirty...) was another toss player, Jacobs was hit by Brooking at the 4 1/2, knocked Brooking over, and just barely managed to stumble across the goal line.

Overall, I've still found the experience to be the most realistic representation of the game I've played, and I've played A LOT of football video games.

Corners stopping elite backs, stopping the run out of the quarter defense, other things like that, are definitely things that, unless something changes drastically between the demo and the version that went gold last week, I don't see happening.

Other positives I've noticed since my last post are - variants in kick returns (having 1 or 2 receivers back to return kicks), squib kicks, the computer AI running a fake punt, and the computer AI throwing DEEP. In the shorter DAL/NY demo, the effect that the weather has on the game is much more pronounced than in previous games.

I've been playing the demo on all-pro, for the record.
I really WANT to love this game, and all that sounds encouraging so I'll give it give it another shot.

I think a lot of those problems I had were related to the difficulty, All-Madden. I really enjoy the game on all-pro actually, it's just that it doesn't really present too much of a challenge.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wide_awake View Post
I really WANT to love this game, and all that sounds encouraging so I'll give it give it another shot.

I think a lot of those problems I had were related to the difficulty, All-Madden. I really enjoy the game on all-pro actually, it's just that it doesn't really present too much of a challenge.
Yeah, it's always an eternal struggle with sports games. The *ALMOST* highest difficulty gets too easy, but the highest difficulty is only difficult because it, well . . . cheats. I usually find that all-pro with sliders tilted very heavily towards the AI works best.

Also, I'm a big online guy with football games, so it's obviously not as much an issue playing all-pro against another person as opposed to the AI.

The other thing is that, in regards to the NY / DAL demo, you're probably not getting the opportunity to see a lot of the awesome things that can happen in the passing game. Dropping a fade into the back corner of the end zone to Larry Fitzgerald is incredibly satisfying, but you don't get many opportunities to see something like that in the shorter demo because, first of all, you're always racing against the clock and don't get a lot of time to experiment, and secondly, the passing is completely screwed up by the enormous amount of wind.

I can understand people's hesitance, and the shorter demo is probably, as a whole, not as convincing as the Super Bowl rematch demo. But I think the shorter demo does at least do a good job of showing off the new tackling system, because you're going to see a lot more defenders being trucked over and dragged around the field with Marion Barber and Brandon Jacobs than you possibly could with Beanie Wells and Willie Parker!

I can say with utmost confidence that this year's Madden will be the highest rated Madden since '05. No doubt in my mind. Be cautious, be skeptical, it's all good and certainly understandable. But this game has good goodness written all over it. I can't wait to see the rest of what it has to offer.

And yeah, I'm addicted to the demo right now. Kinda sad.

Last edited by InsomniaKiller : 07-27-2009 at 09:08 PM.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Buck

No demo for us in the Uk. It must be US only!

Old 08-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Warrior

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/101/1011937p1.html

Glad *someone* agrees with me!

Quote:
There are issues with some of the new aspects that have worked their way into Madden (and things that have been taken out), but there's no denying that this is the best pure football experience in videogame history.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
I tend to take IGN and Gamespot's sports reviews with a grain of salt.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCampbell View Post
I tend to take IGN and Gamespot's sports reviews with a grain of salt.
I trust IGN more than Gamespot, personally. The way I look at it is, nobody is going to agree with reviews all the time. It ain't gonna happen. But IGN's reviews tend to fall in line with what the majority of people think. Even if I don't care for a game that gets a good review from them, it seems like I'm in the minority.

For sports games, operationsports.com is probably best because they are obviously 100% dedicated to the genre and represent what the real hardcore sports fans are looking for, but other than that, I always look for reviews on IGN first.

Besides, they obviously didn't say the game is perfect. They pointed out the flaws. But from the demo, I thought the gameplay was incredibly strong and very realistic, and they at least agree with me on that part.

Thankfully the game comes out in less than a week so we can all start making up our own minds on the final product real soon.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Ghost Dancer

The OS forum has an impressions thread (handful of lucky guys got the game already). Things sound encouraging so far.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Healer

This WEEKEND ONLY, Microcenter has a special for pre-orders on Madden 10, but only for the 360.

Put down $5 to reserve it this weekend, and the reservation receipt acts as a $25 coupon towards the game.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Sentinel

I heard online franchise will have no salary cap b/c they didnt have time.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor21TheUndertaker View Post
I heard online franchise will have no salary cap b/c they didnt have time.
Yes, online franchise is missing a couple things. Note that this is *NOT* regular franchise, but if you have an online franchise, there are a couple things you'll notice aren't there. Most of them can be fixed by the commissioner if you're joining an organized league. No salary cap is one thing they're missing. There is also no real CPU trade logic in online franchise, which means that it would, ideally, have to be run similar to fantasy football, in that the commish can decide if a trade is fair or if someone is taking advantage of the CPU. It seems like there is one other thing I'm forgetting, but I can't think of it.

Online franchise IS NOT as in-depth as a regular franchise, but it is still something I'm looking forward to, and was noted as the most enjoyable feature in the review from IGN. I'm going to start one up with about 4-5 good friends of mine that I game w/ all the time, so I'm sure it'll be a blast regardless of the fact that it's not perfect.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Yes, online franchise is missing a couple things. Note that this is *NOT* regular franchise, but if you have an online franchise, there are a couple things you'll notice aren't there. Most of them can be fixed by the commissioner if you're joining an organized league. No salary cap is one thing they're missing. There is also no real CPU trade logic in online franchise, which means that it would, ideally, have to be run similar to fantasy football, in that the commish can decide if a trade is fair or if someone is taking advantage of the CPU. It seems like there is one other thing I'm forgetting, but I can't think of it.

Online franchise IS NOT as in-depth as a regular franchise, but it is still something I'm looking forward to, and was noted as the most enjoyable feature in the review from IGN. I'm going to start one up with about 4-5 good friends of mine that I game w/ all the time, so I'm sure it'll be a blast regardless of the fact that it's not perfect.
This is not what i wanted to hear. Why the hell cant they just get this game right the first time?

Old 08-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by csquared View Post
This is not what i wanted to hear. Why the hell cant they just get this game right the first time?
Why fully implement a mode when people will still buy it, then next year, EA can tout that as an improvement?

There is a reason why football is behind all the other sports this generation in terms of "goodness" and it lies squarely on EA having no competition when it comes to making a football game. I really wish 2k would have bought the license...2k5 was IMO the greatest football game ever made...behind Tecmo Super Bowl of course

Old 08-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCampbell View Post
Why fully implement a mode when people will still buy it, then next year, EA can tout that as an improvement?

There is a reason why football is behind all the other sports this generation in terms of "goodness" and it lies squarely on EA having no competition when it comes to making a football game. I really wish 2k would have bought the license...2k5 was IMO the greatest football game ever made...behind Tecmo Super Bowl of course
EA implements an upgrade but it takes them 4 years to get it right. WHY?? The whole reason i was buying this was the online franchise. Last year we had that ridiculous crap they called online franchise. Where the players were randomly put on your team. So dumb...