Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hR General Sports Fan Forums > Hopi Youth Sports Forum

Coaching basketball
Old 02-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Chief

Default Coaching basketball

I needed to vent a little, and hopefully constructive criticism (I know, its the internet and i'm asking for trouble).

I'm an assistant coach to my son's basketball team (11-12 year old) this year, and i'm helping out a new guy who moved into the area about two months ago. Really nice guy, and is good with the kids, but it seems like my son's team was pretty much sabotaged by the other coach in this county.

My son played for this other coach last year, grown up in the area, and knows all the good players. Normally, I thought that every kid who wanted to play basketball would be invited to a gym for some quick try outs, and a draft to be conducted later. This wasn't the case, and the two coaches had to draft players with just a name on a piece of paper. When we came to our first practice, we had numerous parents upset because the other team was just stacked from 1-10 and it seems that our team were the left overs. Our coach was going by what the other coach was saying about this player, and that one, but it looks way too obvious that he was just stacking his team. Now, the county does allow any children of the coaches to be exempt, and automatically placed onto their roster.

We're halfway through the season, and we're 1-4. Our coach's son is hands down the most talented player in the entire county. He's simply incredible, and can handle the ball better than most high school or college players; and he's only 11. What is hurting us are two things, height (rebounding) and defense. We changed our defense to be instead of a 2-3 zone, into more of a 1 and box. We have one guy harassing the ball carrier and the other 4 playing more zone around the paint, without over committing to the outside perimeter.

Anyone know of any rebounding/defensive drills/techniques that could help kids out at this level? Our offense is very basic, because quite frankly they can't handle more complex schemes.