Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 01-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wewantdallas View Post
Also symbolic ... NO SB trophies from yesteryear displayed. They did everything right today. A+.
When the new coach you bring in has 2 SB rings and you don't need to impress anyone, you don't need to bring the hardware out. The past is the past.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Shaman

Betts is worthless. I'd rather start over at RB than keep Betts. Also, Betts is 2 full years older than Portis.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoogknight View Post
he seemed a little sweet on Kelly from comcast
He also made goo goo eyes last night at Lindsay Czarniak from Channel 4. The man loves him some PYT.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins7ny View Post
When asked about Clinton, he said that the key to longevity is, like for all older players, the key is how you training the off-season, work ethic, etc,. In other words, Clinton is probably out.
But he followed that up by saying that Clinton was playing very well before he got the concussion this year, which would imply that he had prepared himself. I don't think that the book is closed on CP.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
But he followed that up by saying that Clinton was playing very well before he got the concussion this year, which would imply that he had prepared himself. I don't think that the book is closed on CP.
It was a smart management move. He didn't dump on Clinton outright. He established a set of parameters that Clinton would not likely reach. If he doesn't reach them, Shanny can point to that failure as the reason for his dismissal. If he does reach them, good for us. Clinton is on notice. Do you think he realizes that?

Old 01-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Sachem

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane88 View Post
Said he likes BA because he won't agree with everything he says!! AWESOME!

Mr. Portis better forget about his "pockets bein straight", he'd best be gettin his workouts straight beginning right now.! Shanny doesn't seem too enamored with CP's work ethic as of late.

Nice to see/hear a HC that exudes confidence and demands respect, for a change.
Clinton is gone. Even if there is a cap next year, Allen will make it happen. Shanahan didn't think Portis was worth the trouble when Portis was in his prime. He knows Portis well and Portis hasn't gotten to be less of a pain in the ass since he last coached him. Portis is a locker room cancer who cannot play anymore. There is no reason to keep him and every reason to cut him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_junior View Post
That's not what I got from what he said. He sort of hedged, saying he wanted Bruce, a guy who knows cap stuff as well as he knows football.

I get the impression Shanahan's word with be law when it comes to personnel matters.
Shanahan said that he has final authority, but downplayed it. Bruce Allen seemed to kind of chafe at that question when John Thompson asked it after the presser, and kind of denied it, but then said that in his view (son of George), the head coach is the boss of everything football, and they all work together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckahoeskin View Post
In talking to Kelly right now, he clearly thinks Campbell has what it takes to be the quarterback. He did mention competition, though. However, to see him discuss Campbell you really get a sense that he does like him. It's not something that'll communicate as well through print. Sorry for those of you out of the viewing area.
I am happy to hear that because I like Campbell and want him to remain the starter. The one question I have is, if that is how Shanahan truly feels, then why did Snyder spend the entire off-season trying to replace Campbell with Shanahan's hand-picked QB Cutler and with Mark Sanchez? It has been confirmed that Shanahan has been the head coach-in-waiting since the end of last year, so we can assume that the Cutler/Sanchez moves were done with Shanahan's input. Unless it is what Shanahan saw out of Campbell this year (and the lack of any stud QBs being available in free agency or the draft) that convinced him of Campbell's worth.

Anyway, if it is true that Shanahan sincerely feels this way, that is great news. Now we can concentrate on other areas of the team that truly need upgrading with the limited resources we have.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
That was one of my favorite things about the presser. It was like Shanny was talking directly to Portis for a few miuntes. He emphasized that as players get older the off-season becomes more important and talked about how good CP looked at the beginning of the '08 season.

CP will have to opportunity to be our starting tailback next season. But he's going to have to bust his butt and impress Shanny to be there all season.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Sachem

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskinfan View Post
Going to camp, to me, says a lot about commitment. Do you care about sleeping at home, having things your way, making camp as pleasurable as possible...or do you want to be able to focus.

I have the option of working at home. Doesn't work for me. Too many distractions. I get 100% more done at the office.

Same idea as going to camp.
Good post.
Quote:
He already has shown more intelligence and savvy in 5 minutes as Exec VP/head coach than Snyder or Cerrato showed in the previous 10 years. You NEVER ever say bad things about your players publicly. I doubt that anybody is stupid enough to give us anything for Portis in trade, but a smart football executive never ever publicly devalues his own assets. There is nothing to be gained from saying he will not keep Clinton, even if he already has made the decision.

It is possible he is going to give Clinton a chance to come back, but I doubt it. It is a moot issue, anyway, because there is no way that Portis will do the things in Jan, Feb and March that Shanahan will require him to do in order to stay part of the team. Chances are pretty good that Clinton would be happy to be cut so he can collect his guaranteed money from Danny and get another contract with another team.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Shaman

Portis is the only RB I see with a chance to come back who has more than 4 years experience. Shanny thinks RBs are a dime a dozen.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Medicine Man

There are plenty of people on this board that want CP gone and expect him to be gone. However, if there is a salary cap in place, how do you do it? Who is going to take on his contract?

Deeds, not Words

Old 01-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Papoose

If there is no cap next year, wouldn't it be smart to hold onto Portis for one more year, then dump him in an uncapped year so the penalties do not affect our future?? I say bring in his future replacement this year in the draft, then have him take over in full in 2011...

Old 01-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyNRedskinsfan View Post
One thing I noticed, Snyder didn't introduce Mike.

No SB trophies as well.

May the LORD watch between me and thee, while we're abscent from one another....
May his peace be with you till we meet again my friend.

Amen

-Eric

Always count your blessings.

http://s939.photobucket.com/albums/a...1.jpg&newest=1

Old 01-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggedice View Post
If there is no cap next year, wouldn't it be smart to hold onto Portis for one more year, then dump him in an uncapped year so the penalties do not affect our future?? I say bring in his future replacement this year in the draft, then have him take over in full in 2011...
It would be incredibly stupid financially not to bring back Portis next season. The team has to pay him a ton of money either way, why not at least see if he's got one more big year left in the tank.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:35 PM
hR Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead View Post
Portis is the only RB I see with a chance to come back who has more than 4 years experience. Shanny thinks RBs are a dime a dozen.
I wouldn't be surprised if Alridge is our starting RB at the beginning of next season. For some reason, Shanny really likes the kid.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Banned

There appears to be a clear difference in opinion on Portis between those in the viewing area to see the press conference and those who didn't get to see it. Reading Shanahan's body language when discussing both Campbell and Portis, the difference was obvious. His demeanor was eneregetic when speaking of Campbell. In fact, when interviewed on The John Thompson Show this afternoon he further emphasized his willingness to work with Campbell. When he discussed Portis, it was less efusive, less enthusiastic. To see him at that point, Portis is done.

If you were able to see this, you'd be taking a different tack on Portis. He's being put into a tight spot to work hard and produce or be gone. That spot is sufficiently tight enough to essentially say "Clinton be gone." If Portis was watching, he had to feel the solid kick in the nuts. A well deserved kick.