Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 04-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Shaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHokieSkin View Post
Why do the two have to be mutually exclusive?

I would think that a good GM would do his best to do both, win now AND in the future....not one or the other.

Wash is woefully short on selections in a draft that is regarded by many to be fairly deep, and Wash has a ton of needs. The team simply doesn't have the luxury of being able to use the 4th overall pick on a QB to groom for the future. That's for the good teams like Indy, Saints, Pats, Steelers, etc, not for a 4-12 team.

Shana/Allen claim there is no reason McNabb can't play well for at least 5 more years. If that's the case, Bradford would be ready long before McNabb would be done. So, the Skins at that point would theoretically be facing the same problem the Eagles were facing this year of having to choose between the two. If Wash pushes McNabb out the door after the 2011 season, it will then have "rented" McNabb for two seasons at a cost of a 2nd and a 3rd rounder.

Moreover, Bradford at the 4th overall pick would command a very large bonus. If the Skins were to extend McNabb, that would also cost a ton of guaranteed money. Can the team commit so much resources and cap room to one position? If Wash doesn't extend McNabb, it will have "rented" him for just one season.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Spirit

If Bradford is available at #4, I think we will draft him. I'm in the minority this way, but it just means that McKnabb plays this year with an average line and then tutors and backups Bradford in the following years. Shannihan covers his QB position for five years. If McKnabb starts to go downhill or gets hurt you have the future QB in the wings. If Bradford is a bust, then you ride McKnabb for that time.

I just don't think Bradford will be available....in which case we take the best OT still available or trade down for more picks.

Last edited by colkurtz : 04-12-2010 at 10:09 PM.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colkurtz View Post
If Bradford is available at #4, I think we will draft him. I'm in the minority this way, but it just means that McKnabb plays this year with an average line and then tutors and backups Bradford in the following years. Shannihan covers his QB position for five years. If McKnabb starts to go downhill or gets hurt you have the future QB in the wings. If Bradford is a bust, then you ride McKnabb for that time.

I just don't think Bradford will be available....in which case we take the best OT still available or trade down for more picks.
Respectfully disagree. If he is available we will try to trade down. If he is drafted, and if I were McNabb, I would plan on 1 year or scalp the FO. A CBA will get signed, and that much invested in 1 position doesn't make sense. And who wants to play behind a holdover OL? Shanny and crew know the value of the OL, and would lose a locker room that also know the OL's value and the continuing disregard of this key piece.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:12 PM
Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hr fan View Post
Respectfully disagree. If he is available we will try to trade down. If he is drafted, and if I were McNabb, I would plan on 1 year or scalp the FO. A CBA will get signed, and that much invested in 1 position doesn't make sense. And who wants to play behind a holdover OL? Shanny and crew know the value of the OL, and would lose a locker room that also know the OL's value and the continuing disregard of this key piece.
I guess we will find out soon. Shannihan is coaching for himself and his son, who he hopes will succeed him. He's also said he see's no problem letting a QB sit behind the main man for a couple season.

If we draft a top QB the team is covered for 10 years at that position. They can then use trade bait like JC, AH or Landry to get draft picks and work a getting some decent OL players.

p.s. If coaches think a certain draft OT player is a lock, then I would say draft him at #4. But I still think Shanny will go for a QB if he's available.

Last edited by colkurtz : 04-13-2010 at 07:15 PM.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Papoose

I can see us trading AH, JC and maybe Carter to the Rams for the 1st pick. Its win win...Rams get 3 quality players that we don't want or need (and fill areas of need for them) instead of one expensive risky player, we get a future Payton Manning that can sit and learn behind McNabb for a few years and we keep our fourth pick to get Okung. Anybody else see this as an awesome possibility!?

Old 04-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by datsmymomma View Post
I can see us trading AH, JC and maybe Carter to the Rams for the 1st pick. Its win win...Rams get 3 quality players that we don't want or need (and fill areas of need for them) instead of one expensive risky player, we get a future Payton Manning that can sit and learn behind McNabb for a few years and we keep our fourth pick to get Okung. Anybody else see this as an awesome possibility!?

no, not really.

AH should fetch a first-rounder (maybe not #1 overall) or at worst a solid 2nd rounder. JC sould fetch a 3rd-4th rounder. plus you're throwing in Carter.... plus Bradford as "a future Manning" is certainly a stretch and huge unknown..... plus we have bigger needs than grooming McNabb's replacement.
i'd rather we just keep AH, and move Carter and Campbell for picks that we use on the OL.

SportsCrab: Baltimore-based sports parody site

my blog
- - - - - - - - - - - -
All children are born artists, the problem is to remain an artist as we grow up.
-Picasso

Old 04-15-2010, 01:33 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
That's a good idea, but I think it would be overpaying on our side. Plus, we don't know that the Rams would even go for that. They might have their hearts set on Bradford at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeytown View Post
no, not really.

AH should fetch a first-rounder (maybe not #1 overall) or at worst a solid 2nd rounder. JC sould fetch a 3rd-4th rounder. plus you're throwing in Carter.... plus Bradford as "a future Manning" is certainly a stretch and huge unknown..... plus we have bigger needs than grooming McNabb's replacement.
i'd rather we just keep AH, and move Carter and Campbell for picks that we use on the OL.
I guess the determining factor would be the market. As far as I've heard, Tennessee and Detroit have interest, and neither seems willing to part with a #1, so you might have to settle for a #2. I would think that if Detroit had already offered a #2 this year that AH would be in Motown right now.
The one disappointment of the off-season housecleaning that brought Allen and Shanahan here is that they didn't part ways with Larry Michael as well. He is a prominent and unavoidable symbol of the horrible way Snyder and Cerrator ran this team in the past. Moving on to a new era of Redskins football, on and off the field, should have meant severing ties with him as well.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Papoose

I agree that I don't think anyone is going to offer a 1st rounder for just AH, whether he's worth it or not. If we could get the deal done for just AH and Campbell I would be a very happy man...I like Carter, but there is doubts that he will fit our scheme and his age is an issue, so I wouldn't be against adding him in there to sweeten the deal.

I am a big fan of McNabb and if we can get 4 more years out of him that would be great, but that doesn't seem likely at his age, so drafting Bradford could potentially ensure the most important position on the field for us for the next 10 years. But only if we can keep that 4th pick for Okung.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Runner

I wanted Washington quarterback Jake Locker next year but i see now he will play Baseball for the Angels... Bradford please pass up on QB's this year. 3 years or so with McNabb unless he ends up in Arizona where he will better has a player with Fitzgerald.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:12 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar View Post
I wanted Washington quarterback Jake Locker next year but i see now he will play Baseball for the Angels.
He's not quitting football, he signed with them last august.

And he still sucks as a Qb lol

Old 04-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
He's not quitting football, he signed with them last august.

And he still sucks as a Qb lol
Doesn't that hurt his eligibility with the NCAA?

Old 04-15-2010, 02:35 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk157 View Post
Doesn't that hurt his eligibility with the NCAA?
If he stays in the minors, it's fine. There's been any number of players who played minor league ball under signed contracts with MLB teams who went back to school. Dennis Dixon being the most recent one I believe.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Shaman

Quote:

I see you wearing burgundy colored glasses.

Carter is certainly a decent DE in the 4-3, but he is aging. Why would the rebuilding Rams want an aging player?

I like Campbell and I still think he can blossom if given a fair shot. But, unfortunately, not many teams in the NFL see him in that light. His market value is probably no more than a 4th rounder.

That leaves Haynesworth. Talentwise, he is certainly worth a 1st rounder. But, no team will give that. He is in his late 20's and has an attitude problem. He doesn't fit any 3-4 team, and he tends not to be in top shape. What motivation does he have to excel now that he has already gotten paid by the Redskins? Would the Rams visualize him as a centerpiece to rebuild their defense? Not likely.

So, I see zero chance of St Louis being interested in the deal you proposed.

If by some miracle that trade does come about, selecting Bradford to sit behind McNabb also makes very little sense. Shanahan says McNabb has at least 5 good years left. If so, do you expect Bradford to sit for that long? His rookie contract may run out before he becomes a starter.