Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Redskins Fandom in the Internet age: interview with CarMike!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Scalper

Default Redskins Fandom in the Internet age: interview with CarMike!

hey guys, for my Redskins column over at RealFootball365, i did an interview with a few of the major redskins message boards and blogs.

part 1 was with the guys from HogsHaven and DC Pro Sports Report.

now, HERE'S PART 2 with responses from HR's own CarMike (and Matty from The Warpath).

click and share, thanks!

SportsCrab: Baltimore-based sports parody site

my blog
- - - - - - - - - - - -
All children are born artists, the problem is to remain an artist as we grow up.
-Picasso

Last edited by whiskeytown : 05-27-2010 at 09:37 AM.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Chief Moderator

Thanks for representing, Mike!

Regarding the first interview...I like how it didn't take 2 paragraphs before Spence lashed out at drinking. lol

Old 05-27-2010, 10:15 AM

Ha!

Mike gave me a down-low shout out! Thanks Man!

I read part 1 as well despite who was interviewed.....

Edit: Mike it was Ade Jimoh's wife who showed up to defend him. She and Smoak were his only defender....

Last edited by Keino : 05-27-2010 at 10:18 AM.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:27 AM
hR Staff Writer

Good Interview Mike and well hosted as well. You can tell Mike's pride in the site and the members here. Great shout outs as well. Top stuff.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keino View Post
I read part 1 as well despite who was interviewed.....

i guess there's some stuff i dont know in regard to HogsHaven or DCPSR?
both seemed like good guys to me.

my blog
- - - - - - - - - - - -
All children are born artists, the problem is to remain an artist as we grow up.
-Picasso

Old 05-27-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeytown View Post
i guess there's some stuff i dont know in regard to HogsHaven or DCPSR?
both seemed like good guys to me.
DCPSR. The founders were 2 of the original owners here. The end was acrimonious. DCPSR used to be a part of and affiliated with this site (and then a few others).

Before the end, I would have agreed with you about being good guys, but in certain times people show their true colors.

That is the nicest way I could put it publicly. DJ alluded to this prior relationship in his response.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Scalper

Quote:
DCPSR. The founders were 2 of the original owners here. The end was acrimonious. DCPSR used to be a part of and affiliated with this site (and then a few others).

Before the end, I would have agreed with you about being good guys, but in certain times people show their true colors.

That is the nicest way I could put it publicly. DJ alluded to this prior relationship in his response.
ah, fair enough then. since there's plenty i dont know and dont need to know.

that said, in my personal dealings i've had no problem with the guys here, or the guys from DCPSR. and while i know some folks here aren't fans of the Warpath, Matty seems like a great guy......

my blog
- - - - - - - - - - - -
-Picasso

Old 05-27-2010, 11:40 AM

I have no problems with Matty or any other fan run message board owners. I was banned from ES prior to the team buying them out because of my Mod status here and the issues I have with the owners of Dudes Caning Poor Sudanese Refugees are personal in nature. The guy you interviewed is a fantastic writer, but I would not piss on him if he were on fire.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Healer

Hey, I'm feeling like an internet Celebrity now!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Scalper

Quote:
I have no problems with Matty or any other fan run message board owners. I was banned from ES prior to the team buying them out because of my Mod status here and the issues I have with the owners of Dudes Caning Poor Sudanese Refugees are personal in nature. The guy you interviewed is a fantastic writer, but I would not piss on him if he were on fire.

they caned refugees?

my blog
- - - - - - - - - - - -
-Picasso

Old 05-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
The guy you interviewed is a fantastic writer, but I would not piss on him if he were on fire.
LMAO.

Anyway, great interview questions, WT. It has always amazed me how much venom gets created between rival message boards from the same fanbase. I understand the venom when things get personal...but not sure why the hatred for other Redskins fans you have never even met. I've seen things get more heated between 2 Redskins boards than I have between a Skins & Cowboys board. That is flat out backwards. At the end of the day, we are the same group of fans that high-five each other at FedEx or at our local bars during games no matter our MB affiliation.

I don't agree that we are all fighting for the most members, either. I think HR is happy not being the biggest nor the smallest MB on the web. In reality, I'd rather have a MB with 100 fanatical, yet educated, fans over a MB with 100,000 mouthpieces and a slim chance of getting in your 2 cents before 100s of other members beat you to it.

The nice thing is that the Redskin fan has a ton of options for websites and message boards. Some sites are officially aligned with the team...some are more family oriented...some are more content driven...some boast a large following...some are more discussion driven...some are super tiny...some are lax on moderator policies...and some others are simply driven by their own ego and desire for popularity and self esteem boost.

I don't visit any other site than HR...but here is what I know we offer...

HailRedskins is a moderate-sized message board that has been catering to people looking for solid, educated discussion for almost 8 years now. We don't pander to the team and we call it like we see it - good or bad. We consider ourselves family-oriented, but that doesn't stop us from having big opinions and demanding members to back those opinions up with evidence and/or reason. We can also eat crow with the best of them. We are not a daily blog that regurgitates the most recent Redskin-related Twitter post. We provide relevant and thought-provoking exclusive content when needed...not because we feel the need to post a new article on the front page of the site every single day. We are certainly a specialized niche in this space...and we attract more like-minded, original and respected individuals than we do trolls and immature idiots. Many times, we aren't a good fit for someone stopping by and poking their head in and that is ok, because as I mentioned above there is a site out there for everyone's tastes. HR has also become more than just a place to post your 2 cents. It has also been a platform for developing friendships..as many of us socialize at home games, road games, HOF road trips and also entertain other members in our own homes. Hr is a family that grows at its own pace and we like it that way. Take it or leave it.

Hail to the Redskins!

Old 05-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_stouty View Post
LMAO.

Anyway, great interview questions, WT.
thanks! and thanks to all for clicking and (hopefully) sharing.....

Quote:
It has always amazed me how much venom gets created between rival message boards from the same fanbase.
this quote seems ironic following "i wouldn't piss on him if was on fire." but again, i dont know the history.

Quote:
we attract more like-minded, original and respected individuals than we do trolls and immature idiots.
and somehow, here i am....

my blog
- - - - - - - - - - - -
-Picasso

Old 05-27-2010, 01:33 PM
hR Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_stouty View Post
LMAO.

Anyway, great interview questions, WT. It has always amazed me how much venom gets created between rival message boards from the same fanbase. I understand the venom when things get personal...but not sure why the hatred for other Redskins fans you have never even met. I've seen things get more heated between 2 Redskins boards than I have between a Skins & Cowboys board. That is flat out backwards. At the end of the day, we are the same group of fans that high-five each other at FedEx or at our local bars during games no matter our MB affiliation.

I don't agree that we are all fighting for the most members, either. I think HR is happy not being the biggest nor the smallest MB on the web. In reality, I'd rather have a MB with 100 fanatical, yet educated, fans over a MB with 100,000 mouthpieces and a slim chance of getting in your 2 cents before 100s of other members beat you to it.

The nice thing is that the Redskin fan has a ton of options for websites and message boards. Some sites are officially aligned with the team...some are more family oriented...some are more content driven...some boast a large following...some are more discussion driven...some are super tiny...some are lax on moderator policies...and some others are simply driven by their own ego and desire for popularity and self esteem boost.

I don't visit any other site than HR...but here is what I know we offer...

HailRedskins is a moderate-sized message board that has been catering to people looking for solid, educated discussion for almost 8 years now. We don't pander to the team and we call it like we see it - good or bad. We consider ourselves family-oriented, but that doesn't stop us from having big opinions and demanding members to back those opinions up with evidence and/or reason. We can also eat crow with the best of them. We are not a daily blog that regurgitates the most recent Redskin-related Twitter post. We provide relevant and thought-provoking exclusive content when needed...not because we feel the need to post a new article on the front page of the site every single day. We are certainly a specialized niche in this space...and we attract more like-minded, original and respected individuals than we do trolls and immature idiots. Many times, we aren't a good fit for someone stopping by and poking their head in and that is ok, because as I mentioned above there is a site out there for everyone's tastes. HR has also become more than just a place to post your 2 cents. It has also been a platform for developing friendships..as many of us socialize at home games, road games, HOF road trips and also entertain other members in our own homes. Hr is a family that grows at its own pace and we like it that way. Take it or leave it.

Hail to the Redskins!
here here

Old 05-27-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeytown View Post
thanks! and thanks to all for clicking and (hopefully) sharing.....

this quote seems ironic following "i wouldn't piss on him if was on fire." but again, i dont know the history.

and somehow, here i am....

As I said, the issue is personal in nature and has nothing to do with their message board. I have visted their site and have viewed their articles, and they are pretty good quality. My issue with Tom is personal.

And no, they never caned refugees, that was an inside joke to DJ.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Scalper

Quote:
My issue with Tom is personal.

seems like it.

my blog
- - - - - - - - - - - -
-Picasso