Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 08-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Medicine Man

The observation regarding the offensive intensity is what I took from last nights game. The third and longs really demonstrated a striking difference in coaching and personnel. McNabb did an excellent job staying composed, it was refreshing.

LJ sucked. He dropped a pass, let McNabb get creamed, fumbled, and did an awful job running the football. I have high hopes from him but this was NOT how he wanted his first start to go...

Trent looked awesome. He put Suggs where he wanted to every play, and showed a composed confidence. Heyer played well, but I still thought our best drives and steady offense was when Brown was in. Not saying Heyer was the reason we had some breakdowns in the later drives, but our starting 5 created excellent pockets for McNabb. The running game is a huge concern, and playing the Jets next week - that wont aid the running game development.

I think the defense played well. The running game is shaky, but they did a good job corralling and swarming. They held a pretty good offense to 6 points (screw that fake FG). The only issue I see as troubling is the Dline isnt coming together. Kemo looks ok, and I think Carriker will settle in, but Gholston, as you said, isnt built to hold the end. Haynesworth irritated me yesterday. Hes a monster when healthy and motivated, and its annoying that the feud with Shanny/his pouting are preventing us from having an extremely valuable asset on the field.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Sachem

I thought the Ravens were clearly trying to make a statement last night. They blitzed early and often. Plus, they had the fake FG. They even gave Zorn a gatorade bath IN A PRESEASON GAME. That said I believe we weren't ready for the amount of blitzes we saw (McNabb said as much) but handled ourselves pretty well when the 1st stringers were in. The only mild concern is our running game but I suspect that'll improve as our O-line plays together more often. Let's hope Armstrong will continue to improve because he did a good job for the 2nd week in a row. Could be a diamond in the rough.

"He's a freak of nature physically and he hits like a heat-seeking missle." Joe Theismann on safety Sean Taylor.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Brave

Great summary and analysis as usual. I agree with all your points.

Capers did play for I believe 1 3-play series. Unfortunately, he looked bad on all 3 plays.

I think it is wishful thinking to believe Rabach won't be the starting center. He is just too well regarded ("offensive player of the year") and is clearly the most familiar with the offense and line calls.

Shay Hodge also has not been seen to date. Is he being hidden or just taking up space?

Old 08-22-2010, 07:35 PM

*Either the skins need to have Rabach compete with Lichtensteiger for the Center’s job(and btw, Lichtensteiger has been rather impressive so far), or they need to sign Kevin Mawae. Rabach just isn’t cutting it at Center. After the Ravens gave up trying to penetrate Williams, they focused on blitzing up the middle.

Ummmmm - haven't I been saying this for two years now and he only get worse. I would really like to see Skins target the best center coming out next year.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
*Either the skins need to have Rabach compete with Lichtensteiger for the Centerís job(and btw, Lichtensteiger has been rather impressive so far), or they need to sign Kevin Mawae. Rabach just isnít cutting it at Center. After the Ravens gave up trying to penetrate Williams, they focused on blitzing up the middle.

Ummmmm - haven't I been saying this for two years now and he only get worse. I would really like to see Skins target the best center coming out next year.
yep, Rab isn't getting it done. He gets shoved back 3-5 yds on EVERY play.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:16 PM
Sentinel

I was watching here and there via streams and caught some of the game on nfl network via my droid x this mornin and shockingly, I didnt see a bootleg.

That out n up that they called when mcnabb overthew AA on 3rd and long was just refreshing to my eyes to see a great play call.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Scalper

Akh - Good look on the write-up.

Doughty - Why he's in the NFL is a mystery to me. Anyone saying he's a starter on this team clearly has a man crush. He's NEVER been able to cover his own shadow, let alone a WR. He's like a Bill Bates minus any meaningful intangibles.

LJ - Now I know we were playing one of the better D's in the league. True. BUT, dude looked awful with and without the ball. He couldn't pick up a single defender when having a choice of two. Sunk costs... get rid of him and let's go younger.

CP - when he's in the game, everyone knows it. He's a footballer. There is no competition (which is why I love CP). When he gives you his best, there are few better - and none of them are playing for us.

Armstrong - The kid has the makings of being a beast. Once the timing is down with DMcNabb, that kid can flat-out roll you. We need to let M. Kelly go - he stays hurt and even when he's in a game, he's so-so. Certainly not worth investing anymore time in.

D. Thomas - is this kid the new 50-50 aka Rod Gardner? A 100% of the time you don't know if he'll catch it 50% of the time? Maybe we can just call him anchorman? Seriously, reading his post-game interviews, he reads like he's one step away; like he's a real footballer. I don't know where this confidence comes from? At best he's 3/4 receiver rotation guy. Not sure of when, or if ever, will this guy turn into a legitimate starter and not one that won by attrition.

T. Williams - Makings of a BEAST!!! 'nuf said.

AH - Nothing can be said that hasn't already been said. Let's get a good year or two out of the malcontent and then get rid of him. He's an epic ass.

F.Davis - Young but should continue to grow. Like D Thomas, I think he thinks he's better than he is. But unlike D. Thomas, he has TREMENDOUS upside.

Cooley - Welcome back, Sir!!! You will always be the man in DC.

McNabb - Good times are here again!!! We're ecstatic you're here (And I loved JC, too.)

Fletcher - Pay the man!!! A TRUE footballer.

Rogers - I think he's in for a pro-bowl year. Haslett called him his man... Maybe that's all he needed.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:52 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueOracle View Post
Akh - Good look on the write-up.
Thanks man

Quote:
Doughty - Why he's in the NFL is a mystery to me. Anyone saying he's a starter on this team clearly has a man crush. He's NEVER been able to cover his own shadow, let alone a WR. He's like a Bill Bates minus any meaningful intangibles.
I think he has incriminating pictures of Roger Goodell.

Quote:
F.Davis - Young but should continue to grow. Like D Thomas, I think he thinks he's better than he is. But unlike D. Thomas, he has TREMENDOUS upside.
I don't think thats fair to Davis. Davis has put it together, Thomas hasn't.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Shaman

I'm also curious as to why Galloway has it made he appears to have nailed down his spot when was the last season he did anything relevant . He has no catches in the preseason. I know he's not on easy street based on his resume alone is he. I'm very skeptical of him anyway he sorta has the Moss short arms in the middle of the field at this point as well.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:44 AM

Great stuff, Akh!
You must have DVR'ed the game and rewatched parts to have such an informative account on so many players. We need to get you doing some live game coverage here. Or better yet, get you, me and BNG on a live podcast, lol.

I think the days of Moss running past defenders is over but he looks to be doing a good job running the mid range flag patterns.

Cooley is going to have a huge year but Donavon needs to stop putting the ball so high or Cooley won't last.

Davis has the speed and athleticism to be better than Cooley but it will be another year or two. Best thing he can do is pattern himself like Cooley in his practice routine.

Armstrong... Wow! That is the first time I can remember seeing Donavon under-throw a receiver so much, yet Armstrong made an incredible adjustment to get that ball. Dude is for real. He is our long ball threat.

On defense, yeah, Carter is useless as an OLB. He really doesn't have a role in this defense.

Golston is nothing more than a sub player.

That's all I can comment on for now, I was with a group and didn't see every play of the game.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Healer

Good write up and I agree on many of your points.

The O:
-anyone else starting to lose that overbearing sense of dread and despair when the offense has the ball, especially on 3rd downs? They were so impotent the last few years, but that is being removed in a few quarters of pre-season ball already. The playcalling makes sense, guys are in position to make plays and there is execution. Jebus, I had forgotten what it was like.

-Williams accounted for himself well against Suggs. As you said, his speed is really impressive but he does need some work in his power sets and in the run game but it appears more a technique thing rather than something fundamentally unattainable.

-Portis looks renewed, LJ was meh. Assuming one of Torain/Williams gets the nod and the other goes to PS/street, I like the way Williams runs better. Part of it is that Torain runs so upright, whereas Williams seems to ball up and power through on the inside runs.

-Moss struck me as looking slower as well, but agree with your assessment of him.

-My buddy who is a 'Boys fan texted me saying that the Cooley/McNabb connection has him concerned.

-Heyer has been a revelation. Two weeks in a row he's looked like a different player. Hate to hate on Buges, but I think he made some miscues with some of these guys and maybe we're seeing a coaching change that might make a world of difference.

The D:
-Landry really stood out. He looks to be playing much more instinctively and I suspect he'll have a much better year.

-Rogers also looks energized and I think slotting him inside will really help. DeLo also looked aggressive and it was nice to see him really throw his body into some tackles last night.

-Carter....body of Adonis but he simply doesn't fit in space or in transition. I'd like to see them flip him and Orakpo around the line on rush duties but he's a target when not attacking forward.

-Nice to see Rocky make some plays, hopefully he'll not be a no-show this week.

-I couldn't keep track of the many bodies they were rotating in on d-line beyond the initial starters but there seems to be some tough decisions to make there which is a good probem to have.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Brave

Good stuff as usual Akh,

The 1 D unit looked much better against the Ravens. Maybe we can be productive in this alignment.

Carter does not fit the 3-4 at all. He is too stiff at OLB and too small for DE. Trade him for a vet FS, I have to think he will agree to trade at this point. I agree with Chris Wilson as the best we have opposite Rak.

Doubty is terrible and we don't have anyone else other than rogers who I would trust at the spot. Ideally you would like better hands than rogers out of your deep safety plus we are just too damn thin at corner anyway.

LJ, Buchananon, Thomas, Rabach, and Sellers all had gawd awful games. Thomas makes too many mental errors for my taste. all of these guys better start showing something or they could be in trouble.

Ok so Rabach will probably make the roster for depth but he could lose his starting job. Sellers is dead weight imo maybe LJ can play FB LOL. Cooley could also be an option at FB to get the best 11 on the field.

Armstrong and Banks need to be on the week 1 roster or we could be in trouble. I'm guessing Shanny keeps Galloway, Wade or Roydell, and Moss. Thomas could be the odd man out and you can stick a fork in Kelly.

Overall, I'm happy with what I see. Our depth is questionable at best at OL, LB, QB, and DB but I see some stuff we can build on. Barring injuries, we will be a much more competitive team.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Warrior

Good write-up. I think Doughty gets a little slack just because of his versatility / coachability and he plays ST. I can see us keeping Moore, Doughty, Landry and Horton.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:16 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylen View Post
I'm also curious as to why Galloway has it made he appears to have nailed down his spot when was the last season he did anything relevant . He has no catches in the preseason. I know he's not on easy street based on his resume alone is he. I'm very skeptical of him anyway he sorta has the Moss short arms in the middle of the field at this point as well.
I think he may make the team, but hes not going to be in the rotation a whole lot, and if Kelly shows anything, he's on the cut list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskin_rich View Post
Great stuff, Akh!
You must have DVR'ed the game and rewatched parts to have such an informative account on so many players. We need to get you doing some live game coverage here. Or better yet, get you, me and BNG on a live podcast, lol.
That only would work if the 3 of us drank during the game lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskin_rich View Post
I think the days of Moss running past defenders is over but he looks to be doing a good job running the mid range flag patterns.

Cooley is going to have a huge year but Donavon needs to stop putting the ball so high or Cooley won't last.

Davis has the speed and athleticism to be better than Cooley but it will be another year or two. Best thing he can do is pattern himself like Cooley in his practice routine.
Agreed on all counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
Good write up and I agree on many of your points.

The O:
-anyone else starting to lose that overbearing sense of dread and despair when the offense has the ball, especially on 3rd downs? They were so impotent the last few years, but that is being removed in a few quarters of pre-season ball already. The playcalling makes sense, guys are in position to make plays and there is execution. Jebus, I had forgotten what it was like.
Leadership, leadership, leadership. Something that the skins have lacked for years.

Quote:
-Williams accounted for himself well against Suggs. As you said, his speed is really impressive but he does need some work in his power sets and in the run game but it appears more a technique thing rather than something fundamentally unattainable.
Thats a good point, I think that it could be a combo of new system/technique.

Quote:
-Portis looks renewed, LJ was meh. Assuming one of Torain/Williams gets the nod and the other goes to PS/street, I like the way Williams runs better. Part of it is that Torain runs so upright, whereas Williams seems to ball up and power through on the inside runs.
Portis is one thing I haven't seen discussed a whole lot: he's looked fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbsFan View Post
Good stuff as usual Akh,

The 1 D unit looked much better against the Ravens. Maybe we can be productive in this alignment.

Carter does not fit the 3-4 at all. He is too stiff at OLB and too small for DE. Trade him for a vet FS, I have to think he will agree to trade at this point. I agree with Chris Wilson as the best we have opposite Rak.
Not a bad idea. Im sure the Saints would consider taking Carter for someone like Usama Young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbsFan View Post
Armstrong and Banks need to be on the week 1 roster or we could be in trouble. I'm guessing Shanny keeps Galloway, Wade or Roydell, and Moss. Thomas could be the odd man out and you can stick a fork in Kelly.
I don't think Wade and Roydell make it. Moss, Armstrong, Thomas, Galloway, Banks, Austin(maybe) and maybe Kelly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskinfan View Post
Good write-up. I think Doughty gets a little slack just because of his versatility / coachability and he plays ST. I can see us keeping Moore, Doughty, Landry and Horton.
I think that they'll try to keep another safety.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Sentinel

I did not see the Moss losing a step thing much less 2. On the pass that McNabb got intercepted on if he puts more air under the ball and throws it farther Moss walks into the end zone. If Moss has lost a step we are in trouble because he is still by far our fastest reciever. Maybe Banks is close but he is to small to be anything but a specialty player. Until another reciever steps up Moss is going to see a safety over the top limiting his deep routes. It reminds me of Randy Moss in Oakland when he had no one on the other side and teams could easily double team him and everyone thought he lost a step until he went to Patriots and had help and then couldnt be as easily double teamed and began running by defenses again.