Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 12-12-2010, 11:47 PM
Shaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
Sundberg was a mistake from day one..this is not like trey junkin who had a horrible season after a very solid career.

as for Gano, how long do you think Shanny sticks with Gano after having had Elam ? Gano will be gone this week
Yep. Same goes as to why it took so long to bring hunter smith in. Danny Smith you are a thorn in my side.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspring View Post
Yep. Same goes as to why it took so long to bring hunter smith in. Danny Smith you are a thorn in my side.
I don't understand. Didn't Bidwell get hurt?

Old 12-12-2010, 11:53 PM
Shaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_junior View Post
I don't understand. Didn't Bidwell get hurt?
Yeah but he wasn't exactly inspiring confidence beforehand.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:01 AM
Ghost Dancer

Missing two chip-shots (and looking terrified while barely making a PAT) isn't the only issue. Being the worst kicker in the league is the issue. There have been kickers with super bowl rings who were cut this year. Do lousy, gutless kickers really ever develop into something worthwhile? It doesn't matter if you're good on kick-offs if you never get to do it because you can't make the field goal.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:21 AM
Chief

if shanny is true to his word on competition,he'll bring some kickers in for tryouts tommorow! that pat miss was'nt his fault,hunter smith missed the ball!after this season,danny smith has to go!

Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it."
—Mark Twain

“If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, “Roll, Tide, Roll!”

Paul"Bear"Bryant

Old 12-13-2010, 08:36 AM
Medicine Man

I like Gano's kickoffs and while I'm frustrated with him for missing those kicks, what would be the point in getting rid of him now? I say keep putting him in a position to win games and make critical FGs. Rich Campbell put this in his column

Quote:
As my man Grant Paulsen from 106.7 The Fan pointed out, David Akers was 23 when he missed two field goals in his NFL debut in 1998. The Redskins cut him after that game. Four Pro Bowls later, Akers is still active. He’ll start for Philadelphia tonight.
This season is over with, so let's show some patience and try to develop him. It's his 1st full season, give him a chance, and bring in some competition to "push" him during training camp.

Deeds, not Words

Old 12-13-2010, 08:38 AM
Brave

No!

Old 12-13-2010, 08:40 AM
Medicine Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_junior View Post
Sounds like Shanahan won't be trying out new kickers Tuesday and I think I'm happy about that.

Rich Cambell brought up a good point about Skins fans and I realize it's a trap I'm falling into as well: I don't think we are mentally prepared to rebuild.

-Perry Riley makes a bone-headed block that costs us a TD and maybe a game. Numerous fans were calling for him to be cut.
-A 23-year old kicker now has missed a bunch of FGs in his first season in the league and we (myself included) say he simply must be cut.
-A rookie long-snapper messes up a key snap to make a extra point hold more difficult and I immediately wondered what happened to Ethan Albright.

We want the team to go young and rebuild, right? If that's actually true we are going to have to ride out mistakes while these guys learn. The Skins motto for the last ten or so years is to have no patience and win now. Where's that gotten us?

The typical Skins thing to do will be to cut Gano and find a replacement for Nick Sundberg. Since we're now officially out of the playoff hunt I say we stick with both of them and see how they bounce back the final three games.

I missed your post but I linked Campbell's article in mine. I was part of the "cut him" crowd while sitting in the rain yesterday, but after calming down and reading Campbell, he is right. We have to roll with the mistakes of the young guys. It's the only way they are going to get better.

Deeds, not Words

Old 12-13-2010, 08:53 AM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
As my man Grant Paulsen from 106.7 The Fan pointed out, David Akers was 23 when he missed two field goals in his NFL debut in 1998. The Redskins cut him after that game. Four Pro Bowls later, Akers is still active. He’ll start for Philadelphia tonight.
Awesome logic. And Bill Belichik won 3 super bowls in his second stint as a head coach. So I guess the Skins should hire Marty Morningweg as their next head coach. He's primed to win a ton of rings in his next job.

Gano has missed 10 field goals, which leads the nfl. This isn't the first time he's choked.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:56 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Ted View Post
Awesome logic. And Bill Belichik won 3 super bowls in his second stint as a head coach. So I guess the Skins should hire Marty Morningweg as their next head coach. He's primed to win a ton of rings in his next job.

Gano has missed 10 field goals, which leads the nfl. This isn't the first time he's choked.
His misses were ugly. Very ugly. And I'm not offering any excuses, but he didn't exactly choke. The game wasn't on the line and the weather was crappy. He simply missed some pretty easy kicks. On a 5-8 team, I think we have the luxury to see what the kid is made of for 3 more games. The luxury of sucking lol. I'd like to see him have to kick in the rain again this season. He might just be whateverthe opposite of a "mudder" is.
The one disappointment of the off-season housecleaning that brought Allen and Shanahan here is that they didn't part ways with Larry Michael as well. He is a prominent and unavoidable symbol of the horrible way Snyder and Cerrator ran this team in the past. Moving on to a new era of Redskins football, on and off the field, should have meant severing ties with him as well.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:

To be fair (and without looking it up for confirmation) a good 40% of those misses came from beyond 50 yards, which are never gimme FGs. Of course I will also point out in fairness that this kicker with a strong leg has not hit one over 50 yards all season (which is a problem). Missing chippy FGs is inexcusable, however and I would be okay with cutting bait and moving to new waters (to continue to the fishing analogy).
Just so I don't forget, I intend to remind the above poster about this quote.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgundyNGold View Post
His misses were ugly. Very ugly. And I'm not offering any excuses, but he didn't exactly choke. The game wasn't on the line and the weather was crappy. He simply missed some pretty easy kicks. On a 5-8 team, I think we have the luxury to see what the kid is made of for 3 more games. The luxury of sucking lol. I'd like to see him have to kick in the rain again this season. He might just be whateverthe opposite of a "mudder" is.
The opposite of Mudder is Fodder, as in Training Camp Fodder.......(See Lumsden, Jesse and the discussion of Fodder)

Old 12-13-2010, 09:16 AM
hR Staff Writer

I say give him the rest of the season, then bring in real competition in the off season. Graham is a rookie and is making rookie mistakes. I am far more concerned with other areas of our team.

http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/...light=shanahan

Last edited by CNYSkinFan : 12-13-2010 at 09:19 AM.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Medicine Man

Quote:

Well Belichik's career as the Browns coach was not the disaster that Morningweg's was. He had a 36-44 record. He coached the Browns to 6-10, 7-9, 7-9, 11-5 (playoffs) and was 4-5 before Art Modell destroyed the Browns season by announcing the move to Baltimore. He was considered the best DC in the game, something (best coordinator) Morningweg has never been recognized as.

There is also a history of young kickers (see Mark Mosley) "sucking" early in their careers only to find success somewhere else. My point is, why cut him now? Let him ride out the season and get some competition for camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keino View Post
To be fair (and without looking it up for confirmation) a good 40% of those misses came from beyond 50 yards, which are never gimme FGs. Of course I will also point out in fairness that this kicker with a strong leg has not hit one over 50 yards all season (which is a problem). Missing chippy FGs is inexcusable, however and I would be okay with cutting bait and moving to new waters (to continue to the fishing analogy).
Good guess Keino. 30 % if his misses were from beyond 50 yds. According to NFL.com, Gano is 0-3 on 50+yd FGs, 10-13 on 40-49, 3-5 on 30-39, and 8-10 on 20-29.

Deeds, not Words

Old 12-13-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicefellow31 View Post

Good guess Keino. 30 % if his misses were from beyond 50 yds. According to NFL.com, Gano is 0-3 on 50+yd FGs, 10-13 on 40-49, 3-5 on 30-39, and 8-10 on 20-29.
The Bold are where I have a problem with Gano. A pro Kicker should be 100% on Kicks under 39 yards. The only kicks that close I don't fault him for are in events where the kick is blocked (and sometimes that is the Kicker's fault by kicking it too low). I believe one of those misses were blocked. Also, you have to be able to hit from at least 50% from 50+. A strong leg does no good if you can't push the ball between the uprights from 50+ sometimes. I am okay with his 40-49 yard percentage.

When I heard Gano blame the field conditions, I thought to myself the Tampa Kicker kicked on the same field. Not feeling that excuse at all.